.45 ACP Carry Ammo

.45 ACP Carry Ammo

This is a discussion on .45 ACP Carry Ammo within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the The Armory category; I just bought my first .45 ACP carry gun. A Glock 30gen4, and was wondering what people are carrying for defensive ammo these days. I'm ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: .45 ACP Carry Ammo

.45 ACP Carry Ammo

I just bought my first .45 ACP carry gun. A Glock 30gen4, and was wondering what people are carrying for defensive ammo these days. I'm thinking about Remington Golden Saber, 230gr. JHP. Any ideas?

jkamback

I'm still testing loads but a web site that has been real informative to me...
    http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self...llistic-tests/
    ccm2361 likes this.

You are on the right track, that is good stuff, but I would use 185 grain +P. A heavy HP from a short barrel, tends to not expand or penetrate very well.

On the other hand, a 185 grain does pretty well in both areas. The Golden Saber will produce 400+ ft lbs of ME from 3 1/2 inch barrel, using a 185 grain.
    That is pretty good performance, Handgun Mag used a Para Ordnance with a 3 1/2 in barrel, and here is what they found.

"The surprise in the test came when I clamped the new Para-Ordnance Companion in the Ransom rest and had at it. The stubby 3.5-inch Companion launched this load at 1,021 fps, accounting for 428.1 ft-lbs of instrumental energy."

Read more: Remington Golden Saber 185-Grain +P JHP
    .45 ACP Carry Ammo-glock-gen4.jpg

PS: Mister Know It All Strikes Again! That's Me.
    Last edited by MisterMills357; 11-09-2016 at 08:42 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

Here you go.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/45-acp/

I've used it in 9mm and plan on ordering some in 40 S&W. It's accurate and is a little on the "warm" side, so velocities might be higher than what is listed.

I'm thinking about Remington Golden Saber, 230gr. JHP. Any ideas?
    good ammo, and so is Hornady CD ammo. one thing you want to do is change it out every 6 months. gun powder breaks down from being shaken up and turns to dust thus making the bullet turn into dynamite
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    good ammo, and so is Hornady CD ammo. one thing you want to do is change it out every 6 months. gun powder breaks down from being shaken up and turns to dust thus making the bullet turn into dynamite
    Which ammo does that?

Also I have no problem if someone wants +P in 45ACP. Personally I'd rather use standard pressure since I'm launching it out of a really lightweight gun. If it's out of my Ruger Vaquero though anything is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jbglock View Post
    I'm still testing loads but a web site that has been real informative to me...
    http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self...llistic-tests/
    beat me to it

so I 2nd the motion!
    Chris

Glock 17 G2
    Taurus PT-22
    Kel-Tec P32

Quote Originally Posted by jbglock View Post
    Which ammo does that?

Also I have no problem if someone wants +P in 45ACP. Personally I'd rather use standard pressure since I'm launching it out of a really lightweight gun. If it's out of my Ruger Vaquero though anything is fine.
    all ammo will do that, the shaking of gun powder will cause it to break down. I read an article one time about a cop that carried a ammo in his motorcycle bag and it broke down. when he shot it, it blew up the gun but here are other reasons

The round in question was examined by the manufacturer, who discovered that the primer mix had been knocked out of the primer when the round was cycled through the firearm multiple times.
    Rotate Your Carry Ammunition | Modern Service Weapons

Two cases of the same ammunition (presumably from the same lot) were tested and functioned normallyTumbling Can Alter Powder Burn Properties
    The main reason to avoid tumbling loaded ammo is that tumbling can break down the powder kernels inside the case and/or alter the burn-rate retarding coatings on the outside of the kernels

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...n-loaded-ammo/
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

Senior Member NunquamNonParatus's Avatar

Exclamation

+P in 9mm works better in several brands with the short barrels. So in that logic I would think getting this up to speed in a short time would help in expansion. Lots of short barreled .45's out there. The G30 with the slim slide is on my list. One thing about toting a .45 all day is the bullet weight. I bought a couple of boxes of Liberty Civil Defense. Yep it skins along at 1900fps out of a G21. I would like to see what it would do out of a G30. Liberty Ammunition Lead Free Ammo | Liberty Ammunition I may get some in .40. I will not buy it in 9mm.

Hmmmmm then here is a testimonial from their website on the 9

"I am a firearms instructor at Southern Shot and Steel in TN. I have always been a 1911 45acp guy until about 8 months ago when I purchased an HK VP9. A friend of mine at SOCOM gave me a box of your 9mm +p ammo. I still had some apprehension on the 9mm but decided that would be my new carry arm. This past Friday my Grandson and I went to our farm. We have livestock and always keep a donkey around to divert the coyotes. So my Grandson (8) was helping to carry items into the farm house when the donkey (a jack) attacked him. I had a narrow window for a well placed shot. The bullet impacted the animal just right of center and about an inch above the center line of its eyes. Instantly the animal collapsed between my grandson and a retaining wall. If it were not for the exceptional performance of the Liberty bullet, my Grandson would probably not be with us today. After getting the boy tended and checked out. I returned to dispose of the animal. The donkey had completely bleed out through its nostrils, there were signs of grey matter evident also. To create that type of damage the projectile had to liquefy everything in the skull cavity. Thanks again, your exceptional product contributed to saving the life of a young man from a horrible death! I will tell everyone I have the opportunity to talk with about your outstanding product!
    Thanks again, your exceptional product contributed to saving the life of a young man from a horrible death! I will tell everyone I have the opportunity to talk with about your outstanding product!
    Lincoln County, TN"
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk out your ass and remove all doubt." A. Lincoln (sort of.)

"It seems to me a certainty that the fatalistic teachings of Mohammed and the utter degradation of the Arab women are the outstanding causes for the arrested development of the Arab. He is exactly as he was around the year 700, while we have been developing." George S. Patton

President/executive director of the NQNP STFU awards foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    all ammo will do that, the shaking of gun powder will cause it to break down. I read an article one time about a cop that carried a ammo in his motorcycle bag and it broke down. when he shot it, it blew up the gun but here are other reasons

Rotate Your Carry Ammunition | Modern Service Weapons

Two cases of the same ammunition (presumably from the same lot) were tested and functioned normallyTumbling Can Alter Powder Burn Properties
    The main reason to avoid tumbling loaded ammo is that tumbling can break down the powder kernels inside the case and/or alter the burn-rate retarding coatings on the outside of the kernels

Why You Should NOT Tumble Loaded Ammunition « Daily Bulletin
    I read that article. They are talking about actually tumbling the ammo for a prolonged period of time. The amount of shaking we would have to apply would never occur.

Rotating carry ammo is an entirely different issue. I didn't read the article. Frankly even rotating every year is a bit on the paranoid side imo if using quality ammo. If not using quality then rotating every year is not enough.

Bullet setback is a third issue. Some brands of ammo with certain guns are more likely to experience than others. Our issued duty load is 9mm Win Ranger 127grain +P+. In a gen3 or gen4 17 or 19 I've seen it experience setback from being chambered multiple times. A very serious issue imo considering the round is pretty hot to start with. My own duty load is 40SW Win Bonded JHP 180grain Q4369. In a Glock 20SF with a KKM 40SW conversion barrel I've experienced zero set back issues. It's a serious enough thing though that I feel anyone should consider getting a cheap pair of dial or digital calipers so they can check for it.
    LoboTBLMC likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links