Reloading for 23 gen. 3

This is a discussion on Reloading for 23 gen. 3 within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the The Armory category; I have a 23 compact coming, a promotion through my local gun club. The gun hasn't arrived yet, can't say when the club will receive ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ballistic

Thread: Reloading for 23 gen. 3

Reloading for 23 gen. 3

I have a 23 compact coming, a promotion through my local gun club. The gun hasn't arrived yet, can't say when the club will receive the order.

I shoot BE regularly: 9mm, 45, .38 and .22. I load for these guns with a Dillon SDB. I ordered .40 cal dies, brass and bullets, I could only get 135 gr FP for now (box of 500). I have primers and powder for my other guns and going through load data I find I have about 5 different powders on hand that will work. 135 gr seems small, how do these bullets function and do they hold up at 25 and 50 yds. for target shooting. I have 1 box of 180 gr. Lawman coming for SD, so I have this load covered.

Is there anything special I need to know for reloading for the Glock? Bulging brass, etc...

Jim

Glock does not recommend reloads. 165g bullet seem to work the vest and 180g max out the case and might cause reload problems
    nothing re-wires a human more effectively than pain, fear and, especially, trauma.

Denial is a save-now-pay-later scheme, a contract written entirely in small print, for in the long run, the denying person knows the truth on some level.

I'd go with 165g and only new brass. Reloading can be done if given meticulous detail, following rigid specs. There are reports that 180g for reloads is too much.

Congrats on the G23. Always a great choice.

yo Bentrod,
    I have a g23 gen 2 I have been reloading for it for years (it seems all gun manufacturers say no reloads). It is my only 40 cal pistol out of ten hand guns. There are extreme opinions on whether to reload hardcast in any Glocks some do it and clean "well" every 150 to 200 rounds and have never had a problem, but... most use plated bullets like berry's or jacketed. Until recently, I have only loaded 180gr bullets in my G23 and have never had a problem (1000's of rounds) but with the shortage right now I just had to settle for 140gr. I never approach max loads with the 180gr bullets mostly stay in the 900-950fps range with medium to fast powders that way the case never is a compressed load so no case problems. As we all know the original load for a sw40 was with a 180gr bullet and for awhile it was the only weight I could get to hand load. It seems that 155-165gr is the most recommended today but right now I am shooting 140gr or 180gr because that is what I have.

Reloading freaks me out...period. I'm sure there are lots of folks who have never had issues, but still...I don't want kaboom even in the back of my mind when I'm shooting.
    G23 gen4 OD
    G27 gen4
    G30S
    G19 gen3 OD
    SIG P227 sas gen2
    SIG P938

Quote Originally Posted by seanvine View Post
    Reloading freaks me out...period. I'm sure there are lots of folks who have never had issues, but still...I don't want kaboom even in the back of my mind when I'm shooting.
    It's about detail. My father in law reloads for everything he has. But he's done it for a very long time and is consistently meticulous.

I have been using 180 grn. plated from Rocky Mountain Reloading (in stock now) with 3.6 grains of Alliant e3 loaded to an OAL of 1.135. Very low recoil, 850 FPS and 1.5" groups out of my 23 benched at 20 yards. I have been shooting this practice load through 8 lbs of e3 and so far have not had a single issue. This load shows no pressure signs with nice rounded primers and no case head expansion. I have a Lone Wolf barrel in mine so I have to de-Glock any range brass with either a Redding GR-X or a Lee Bulge Buster but if you only use what you have already shot in this gun that will not be necessary. This load recoils less than a factory 9mm round and is very pleasant to shoot in a 23. Just make sure to plunk test your rounds and make sure when you drop them in the chamber they will spin freely. If so you should be fine. You may not like the light weight bullets in the compact since it takes so much powder to function the gun. You may find them down right unpleasant. I have found that the heavy bullets with the smaller powder charge to be THE most pleasant shooting of the bunch. I would not do lead unless you make a barrel swap, Murphy could show up and when shooting Glocks he is never welcome. If you need some bullets give Home page a try, good folks to deal with. If you need any brass www.acmebullet.com is a great place to find once fired range brass for $25.00 for 500 rounds. Also good folks to deal with.
    Last edited by Ballistic; 07-06-2013 at 08:53 PM.
    NName591 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
    I have been using 180 grn. plated from Rocky Mountain Reloading (in stock now) with 3.6 grains of Alliant e3 loaded to an OAL of 1.135. Very low recoil, 850 FPS and 1.5" groups out of my 23 benched at 20 yards. I have been shooting this practice load through 8 lbs of e3 and so far have not had a single issue. This load shows no pressure signs with nice rounded primers and no case head expansion. I have a Lone Wolf barrel in mine so I have to de-Glock any range brass with either a Redding GR-X or a Lee Bulge Buster but if you only use what you have already shot in this gun that will not be necessary. This load recoils less than a factory 9mm round and is very pleasant to shoot in a 23. Just make sure to plunk test your rounds and make sure when you drop them in the chamber they will spin freely. If so you should be fine. You may not like the light weight bullets in the compact since it takes so much powder to function the gun. You may find them down right unpleasant. I have found that the heavy bullets with the smaller powder charge to be THE most pleasant shooting of the bunch. I would not do lead unless you make a barrel swap, Murphy could show up and when shooting Glocks he is never welcome. If you need some bullets give Home page a try, good folks to deal with. If you need any brass ACME bullet is a great place to find once fired range brass for $25.00 for 500 rounds. Also good folks to deal with.
    Good info. Thanks for posting.

Sponsors