what could I have done wrong?

This is a discussion on what could I have done wrong? within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the The Armory category; I just started reloading with a single stage. I loaded 50 rounds of 9mm 115gr fmj with new brass. 5.7 grains of unique. Oal was ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By retired_diver
  • 1 Post By mack

Thread: what could I have done wrong?

what could I have done wrong?

I just started reloading with a single stage. I loaded 50 rounds of 9mm 115gr fmj with new brass. 5.7 grains of unique. Oal was between 1.161 and 1.164. I keep getting fte after fte. Either stove pipe or not throwing the slide all the way back. This is mid range for this bullet. What could i have done wrong? I still cycle factory ammo just perfect. Gen 3 glock 26.

I'm not a re-loader, but are you using the right kind of powder, the right amount or could your powder have gotten moisture in it? Also, what about the right primers?

Sounds like you just don't have enough power burn to get a full rack of the slide after the shot. It would be interesting if you had a meter to show you your bullet velocities.

sounds like the gun is not cycling right, not enough power. what I reloaded I would mix up the loaded amounts and powders ( separate, but different) and test accuracy and ability to cycle the gun right. make sure you check the primers AFTER shooting to see if the primmer is being pushed out or flattened (sign of to much powder)

I would take them apart and start over but keep a record of loads and bullets until you find that load that gives both accuracy and power
    nothing re-wires a human more effectively than pain, fear and, especially, trauma.

I am not a pessimist; I am a realist- I believe craps stinks long before you get near it

You can’t fix stupid. But you can take their money.

There is a number of "things" that can go wrong any time you reload with a "new" bullet. But most common is that when seating the bullet you create a case bulge in the case where the base of the bullet ends up. Then when the cartridge goes into the chamber it is actually wedged in and the ejector can't generate the force necessary to remove it. Another reason is that the "load" is to soft to cycle the slide correctly. This will cause exactly what you are experiencing also. My speer #12 manual states 115gr TMJ with Unique @5.6 to 6.3gr. with a OAL at 1.135. My Lyman #49 edition only has 115 JHP bullets but at 4.4 to 5.8gr Unique but a OAL @1.090. My point is this even though your bullet is different than the ones in these manuals you are most likely to long. If you are to long in your OAL then the pressure will be changed from the listed data. Unique has been around a long time and can load soft to medium high loads (ie very stable (linear) with volume changes) Most powders are not. So if it were me, I would reduce OAL by 20 thousandths and try that load agan. But to play it very safe just load say 5 rounds with 5.8 leaving everything the same (die setting included) and 5.9gr. Shoot those and keeping working up until you cycle the slide correctly but don't exceed the 6.3 max.
    Do you have a 9mm caliber gauge? I highly recomend one. Or do you do the "plunk" test to check your finished rounds. The plunk test is when you use your barrel as a gauge, just remove it take a finished round and drop it in the chamber. It should go 'plunk' and be flush or slightly below the edge of the barrel. Then turn it upside down and the round should just drop free, if not, check for a bulged case as described above. You can remove bulges with a redman or lee push thru die if you have to.
    jayhkr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mack View Post
    I just started reloading with a single stage. I loaded 50 rounds of 9mm 115gr fmj with new brass. 5.7 grains of unique. Oal was between 1.161 and 1.164. I keep getting fte after fte. Either stove pipe or not throwing the slide all the way back. This is mid range for this bullet. What could i have done wrong? I still cycle factory ammo just perfect. Gen 3 glock 26.
    Hi Mack, Interesting problem.
    My reloading manuals list COL at 1.100 for 115gr FMJ (1.135 for 115gr TMJ).
    IMO, at 1.161 to 1.164 you are too long on COL.
    Unique power at 5.7gr is mid-light load, nice for target shooting.
    That means milder recoil... (slower slide?).
    IMO, you might need a lighter Recoil Spring to match your lighter hand-loaded ammo.
    Remember RSA for G26 come in 14, 16, 18 and 20# for a reason.
    Match RSA# to your chosen ammo, 14# for light target ammo and 20# for +P.
    Factory for G26 is 16# RSA.
    Safety First...
    Last edited by PSmith; 02-05-2014 at 11:58 AM.
    When seconds count ...police are only minutes away!
    PSmith, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor, retired
    Glock 19c gen 3, Lone Wolf Barrel, Advantage Tactical Sights, ClipDraw
    ~ FREEDOM ~ First, Last and Always...

are you putting a crimp on the shell after reloading. depending on how much you expand the brass the bullet may not be held tight enough to build proper pressures. can mimich an under charged round

Figured it out. My oal was too long. Took them all apart amd loaded 5 with an oal of 1.104 and 1.102. Cycles fine now and I upped the powder to 5.9. Perfect. I will run with this until decide i want to start experimenting. Wont be using my glock for this though.
    PSmith likes this.

Sponsors