Glock Forum banner

Glock 32 357sig self defense ammo suggestions

9K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  PurpleMountainOutdoors 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I just picked up a glock 32 in 357 sig caliber, and was looking for some suggestions on self defense ammo.
I see also they make several different bullet weights, which do you think is better to stick with the 125 grain loading that was first developed
for it, or do you think it would be better to go heavier in the bullet weight?( not to worried about over penetration) I'm just looking for some insight on this so I have a base to start from when looking for the ammo
Thanks
G

#2 ·
Reactions: RMD
#3 ·
First of all I think it's a great caliber. Many attributes such as penetration ability, flat trajectory and proven track record in the field. Also, most find the round very controllable. At the top of my list when selecting a round to use is Point Of Aim. The ammo must shoot where the pistol is pointing. The caliber was developed around the 125 gr. bullet, so P.O.A. with that bullet will most likely be on target. ( developed to mimic 357 mag 125 gr. ) Also at the top of my list is to use a bonded bullet. Examples would be: Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger Bonded and Federal HST Bonded. They seem to hold together better in ballistic tests. Something to be aware of, bullet setback. This round seems to not like repeated loading and unloading. I believe the Hornady XTP uses a cannelure to resist setback. Great caliber choice and good luck!

#4 · (Edited)
Welcome to the Glock Forum and congradulations on selection, in my opinion, one of the best self-defense calibers available.

The .357SIG round is a combination of a .40 caliber casing necked down to hold a 9mm (.355 diameter) bullet that fits into a semi-automatic pistol. Designed to mimmick the .357 magnum (magnum really means 'more'), the .357SIG typically runs around 3-5% behind the .357 magnum...but that's still pretty darn close in my book. Development was by Sig Sauer (hence the 'SIG' at the end of the name) and Federal Cartridge. It first hit the market in 1995. Even though the .357SIG's bullet is .355 in diameter (same as a 9mm bullet) I'm not sure anyone who's been shot by one will claim to have been injured 'less' by a bullet that is .002" smaller in diameter than a true .357 bullet! All bullets shot from a necked-down casing seem to have a much higher velocity as the pressures from within the casing (read 'gunpowder') are focused from a larger diameter down into a smaller diameter, creating higher pressures resulting in higher (and fantastic) velocities!

I've owned that caliber in past and buying a barrel for my Gen II Glock 23 is the next step I will be taking for this summer! I'm currently in the process of building a 5" .357SIG on a Gen II frame...after I do a 3/16" heel reduction on the frame. Hoping that it'll be great competition pistol!

Ammo...I really like anything in CorBon and have liked Federal JHP's as well! Hornady makes a great round in the XTP platform and Winchester's PDX1 is great as well. Typically, the 125 grain JHP is a great bullet...I don't think I've strayed from that very much! Also, the suggestion to watch out for 'bullet setback' and not to unload and reload the ammo very much is strongly recommended to heed.

Lastly, highly recommend you wear foam ear plugs with ear muffs over them when you shoot this round...it is L.O.U.D.!

Other than that, as the old Knight in Indiana Jones III said, "You have chosen...wisely!"

#6 ·
Congrats and welcome from Washington, I'm hoping one day to pick up a G33 or 32 myself.

#7 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome all and all of the info you all provided for me. I was worried about going to the LGS and having one "makers" ammo on my mind to only find out that they didn't have the kind I was looking for and be at a loss. Now I have some better insight and a few different loadings to go with. I guess if I can find a few different ones I will try a few them to see what give the best results in my 32. Sometimes in these parts its " hit or miss" to what type of ammo is on the shelf and believe it or not the brand they have in stock can vary because " this is all we could get" still goes on around here ..
G

#10 ·
With the .357 Sig, you will get a true hydrostatic wound cavity. that little bullet is moving on when it leaves the barrel. I've seen skunks explode kind of like when the comedian Gallagher hits a watermelon with a Sledge-O-Matic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gasAFyonmmI

#12 ·
Just curious, what is it that makes a Storm Lake barrel worth $50 more than a Lone Wolf barrel? They both have lifetime warranties, are made from stainless steel and shoot lead or jacketed rounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.