Thumb break holsters

This is a discussion on Thumb break holsters within the Gear Talk forums, part of the The Armory category; Hey guys, i'll be open carrying for my job here shortly and I would to know what some other people are using for thub break ...

Thumb break holsters

Hey guys, i'll be open carrying for my job here shortly and I would to know what some other people are using for thub break or thumb release holsters. I learned on what I assume was a safariland hooded leather holster and when you push the thumb release down you rock the hood forward to draw. I would like to get one of those but they are so expensive. I also wouldn't mind an open top holster so I was wondering what options are out there for a thumb break retention button on that style holster. I also have never used a padle so i'd prefer a belt loop style and this will be worn on a regular 1.5" belt. Any bands to stay away from, certain ones that are good, or some place I've never heard of that makes a good one? I've done plenty of google/ebay/amazon etc searching so i've seen plenty i'm just wondering which ones are recomended and work the best for the best price. Even good places to order them from. This will be for a 17 Gen 4.

EDIT: Just saw the 5.11 thumb drive and it seems to be perfect anybody with some experience? http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...r-50023__50031
    Last edited by Sheeran; 01-09-2013 at 08:06 PM.

anybody have an opinions or recomendations? I might go with the 5.11 and give it a try. Worst comes to it I can probably sell it for a reasonable price.

Sorry Sheeran, I don't have any experience with service holsters anymore. I know that 5-11 is a good name and they have been producing service gear for sometime now. Also Blackhawk has a service line and make very good gear. I didn't have the luxury of using my own gear when I was in uniform as a civilian so I was stuck with a leather non-retention holster. If I were in uniform today I know that my duty holster would be at least a level 3 retention holster. That may narrow down the manufacturers for you a little. Hope that helped.

I just picked up a blackhawk leather pancake holster for my G17 today and so far I like it a lot. I haven't spent much time using it since this is my first handgun but it seems really well made and fits perfectly to my hip. And it was only $46.

Galco makes a good level 2 retention holster with a thumb "button" rather than a strap or Serpa style release.

My son got a Blackhawk plastic-type (kydex?) for his G17 (also fits compacts) with a thumb-release and he likes it a lot. I tried it out and I like it too. It's an OWB paddle and with the thumb action it releases very easily.

If your job allows/requires open carry with a "Sam Browne Belt" type of rig, this won't help you much but I also like the Blackhawk leather pancake holster that Geezy speaks of above. This is the Concealed Carry holster for my G23.

The only real downside to these types of holsters is the fact that the securing strap tends to get in the way if you have to present the weapon quickly. If I feel I might be entering a possible threat area, or if a "situation" appears to be developing, (a heightened awareness event), I unsnap the strap and make sure it is pulled free so it doesn't prevent a smooth draw if I should need to do so. The holster fits snuggly against the body and since it is an OWB holster, it will fit your belt nicely. It also allows you to choose a canted angle or a straight up carry if you'd rather.
    Last edited by JohnL; 01-23-2013 at 08:31 PM.
    "Missed it by that much." Maxwell Smart, Agent 86. (And me at the range).

Sponsors