G42 issue and Solution (very strange)

This is a discussion on G42 issue and Solution (very strange) within the Glock Range Reports forums, part of the Glock Information category; I am 67 and have my carry permit. I was carrying a baby berretta in 22LR for the simple reason that I always have it ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BillG174

Thread: G42 issue and Solution (very strange)

I am 67 and have my carry permit. I was carrying a baby berretta in 22LR for the simple reason that I always have it with me. I bought my G42 new 3 weeks ago and have finished shooting the first 300 rounds this last weekend.

At the range, I was hitting low and left at 7 yards. I mean 6" low and 6" left. I switched from REM UMC to Speer Lawman. Low and left. I switched to Hornady HST. Low and left. I switched to Gold dot. Low and left. I fired about 150 rounds and had no cycleing issues, but, was hitting low and left. I held high and right and could hit the center 6 inch circle consistently so it was not my sight picture.

I looked at the sights and they are installed pretty much centered. Back to the house for some reading. I found people saying that the had moved there rear sight all the way to the right and got center hits. That's not good. I found one thread where a shooter claimed that his low and left g42 problem was solved simply by moving his trigger finger in and placing the trigger safety directly onto the groove at the first joint of his trigger finger.

I went to the range sunday with another 200 rounds. I shot a mag of speer lawman left and low again, then I switched my trigger finger so that the first joint (crease) of my finger was centered on the trigger safety bar. The next 8 rounds went into the center of the target. I shot at 7 yards, 3 yards, one hand, two hand standard grip, 15 yards and 25 yards rested. As long as I used the first joint groove of my trigger finger on the center of the glock trigger, the left and low was gone.

This is lousey technique for standard pistols, but, is now going to be the only method I use with the glock 42. I looked and it really does change the way the gun lays in my hand.

This is a long post, but, I just wanted to report this for any other g42 shooters that are being plagued by left and low. It was an easy quick fix for this specific pistol.

thanks rch
    Last edited by rhouser; 01-31-2017 at 10:06 AM.

the wheel G42 issue and Solution (very strange)-wheel_of_misfortune.jpg
    I went to the range sunday with another 200 rounds. I shot a mag of speer lawman left and low again, then I switched my trigger finger so that the first joint (crease) of my finger was centered on the trigger safety bar.
    you shoud be using the pad on the tip of the index finger and squeeze, your pulling
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

Barstoolguru, I absolutely agree.

I started pistol shooting using a surplus 1911 in 1959. I own and shoot with 10 calibers up to and including a SRH in 454 Casull. I have some of my single action hunting and target pistols with triggers down to 11 oz level. I have 2 Glock 17's (gen 3 and gen 4), a Glock 22, and an additional glock lower dedicated as a 22 rimfire.

I have NEVER used this "finger joint" hold on a trigger. When I place my finger onto the trigger at the first joint as explained above, the entire gun side of my right hand now is fully pressed against the side of the receiver. The gun is firmly settled into the grip hand. I cannot duplicate this grip and get the pad of my trigger finger onto the trigger. The grip line is too narrow.

As I noted in my first post. I know this is weird and not a conventional solution to what is obviously a grip line and trigger issue, but, there it is. Any of you G42 owners who are bored and have a few extra rounds left at the range, please give this a try and let me know what you find.

Disclaimer, nothing beats good technique, and I have been aware of the shooting wheel for years. I would never say that bad technique is better than good technique. I will say, that for this pistol, in my hands, the grip described by another glock 42 shooter solved my problem.

Thanks to all who make this forum great. rch

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

Barstoolguru is very correct. Also, you may be jerking the trigger too. Slow and easy on the trigger press. When the gun breaks it should be a surprise. Inter mix snap caps in your loaded mags so you won't know when one will "fire". Focus on the front sight and I bet you will see the front of the gun move or dip down when you fire the snap cap. Trigger control is incredibly important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    barstoolguru likes this.
    Being Armed Is A Mindset, Not A Physical Condition - Rob Pincus

NRA, GOA

Sponsored Links