Glock 17 first time at the range

This is a discussion on Glock 17 first time at the range within the Glock Range Reports forums, part of the Glock Information category; I finally got my g17 yesterday after waiting for my background check to go through and today I managed to head down to the indoor ...

Glock 17 first time at the range

I finally got my g17 yesterday after waiting for my background check to go through and today I managed to head down to the indoor range a few towns down and got to try my baby out. I put just about 120 rounds through it, a mix of independence, PPU, and WWB all 115 grain with no failures of any kind. I am most definitely in love with this sucker and am so glad that I went with the full sized for my first handgun. I definitely need to work on my shooting but that will come with time. Here is a picture of 17 rounds at ten yards with relatively little rest (all 17 shot within 3 minutes). Ignore the fact that the numbers are upside down, I put the target on upside down so the group is indeed to the left of where I was aiming. Any tips on how to correct shooting to the left are appreciated. All in all though I had a blast and cannot wait to spend more time putting this thing to work.

Also, I tried my hand at shooting with both eyes open, I could not get my focus correct at all. I can get the sights on fairly well when I dry fire at home but I couldn't get anything close to comfortable or accurate at the range.

Cheers,
    James

Glock 17 first time at the range-g17-10yds.jpg

Nice shootin'! And congrats on your G17. As far as shooting to the left is concerned, check out the wheel provided by one of the senior members. I actually printed this thing out and enlarged it so I could shoot at it and see exactly where my groups (or lack there of) were hitting. Very helpfull stuff! Glock 17 first time at the range-wheel.gif

Try using the middle of the pad of your trigger finger and ease straight back as if you are going to break a glass rod, dont anticipate the trigger breaking. However, your grouping is good. Congrats on your G17 and your shooting!
    Only a Biker knows why a Dog hangs his head out the window.

G29SF, G20SF, G30SF, G36, G21SF RTF2, G32 GEN 4, G33, G19

NRA Life Member.

Congrats !
    Glock softly and leave your big stick at home...
    rowabi

Quote Originally Posted by texcowboy View Post
    Try using the middle of the pad of your trigger finger and ease straight back as if you are going to break a glass rod, dont anticipate the trigger breaking. However, your grouping is good. Congrats on your G17 and your shooting!
    I'll give that a try, I especially like the visualization of breaking a glass rod.

Nice shooting,good choice !
    Gen 4 Glock 19
    Gen 3 Glock 26
    Mossberg 500 Persuader
    Hi-Standard "Sentinel Deluxe" .22 Model "R-106"
    "
    To the man that only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."

Luke 22:36 Then he said unto them,But now, he that hath a purse,let him take it , and likewise his scrip :
    and he that hath no sword , let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Nice shot groups! Experiment with different finger positions on the trigger. You'll find the right one for you

Quote Originally Posted by Geezy View Post
    I finally got my g17 yesterday after waiting for my background check to go through and today I managed to head down to the indoor range a few towns down and got to try my baby out. I put just about 120 rounds through it, a mix of independence, PPU, and WWB all 115 grain with no failures of any kind. I am most definitely in love with this sucker and am so glad that I went with the full sized for my first handgun. I definitely need to work on my shooting but that will come with time. Here is a picture of 17 rounds at ten yards with relatively little rest (all 17 shot within 3 minutes). Ignore the fact that the numbers are upside down, I put the target on upside down so the group is indeed to the left of where I was aiming. Any tips on how to correct shooting to the left are appreciated. All in all though I had a blast and cannot wait to spend more time putting this thing to work.

Also, I tried my hand at shooting with both eyes open, I could not get my focus correct at all. I can get the sights on fairly well when I dry fire at home but I couldn't get anything close to comfortable or accurate at the range.

Cheers,
    James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G17 10yds.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	1063
    I bought my first Glock, a 17, a few weeks ago and I am loving it. Wonderful gun.

Shoo. Don't say you put target upside down. Say you shot upside down , and that what u mean by a little rest. Hanging you were resting your feet.
    Watch the hand patting you on the back , could be looking for soft spot to drive the knife!

I've had my 17 since 2002 great gun great choice,now with my 26 amazingly I get better groups with it ,Go Figure,and I love it more.I do have a Lazermax in the 17 so I love it too.

Sponsors