Tungsten guide rods

This is a discussion on Tungsten guide rods within the Glock Talk and Discussion forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; I recently purchased two tungsten guide rods... one for my G19 and the other for my G23... both are Gen 4. I noticed when I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tungsten guide rods

I recently purchased two tungsten guide rods... one for my G19 and the other for my G23... both are Gen 4. I noticed when I opened the box and took them out they were very similar in size. I know both Glocks are pretty much the same gun... except for the caliber of course. I then looked at the packing the guide rods came in and I noticed both had the same product number and sku. I thought that was strange since both had different item numbers from the website I ordered them from. I emailed the company and have not received a response as of yet. My question is... are they indeed the same guide rods? Does it matter which Glock I put them in? Are the SS and tungsten guide rods just a big hype and really not the real deal? I have not been to the range yet to try them because of this.

I would bet that the after markets are more interchangeable than what you might order from Glock OEM. There was a question posted the other day on the forum asking if the stock guide rod from a 17 would fit a 23. I believe that the guide rod lengths are the same in the mid to compacts maybe not the sub com-pact models. (I have not seen the dimensions yet for comparison) The only thing I would be concerned about is if the springs were the same tension and would cycle without problems. My guess is the after markets have more than likely optimized this so yes they would be fine. Let us know what response you get from the company.

i have 2 oordered 1 for gen 4 and 1 for a gen 4 hope mines differnt

i ment 1 for gen 4 1 for gen 3

They should be different, let us know when you get them. Also, I am curious if they are any better than factory. I never had a problem withe factory guide rods, so why change?
    Quote Originally Posted by GODAWGS View Post
    i ment 1 for gen 4 1 for gen 3
    Glocks: 17, 19 FDE, 20SF, 21, 22, 23, 31

NRA Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by kj4963 View Post
    They should be different, let us know when you get them. Also, I am curious if they are any better than factory. I never had a problem withe factory guide rods, so why change?
    I agree, no problem here either with OEM guide rods, although the previous owner of my G21SF RTF2 put one i (tungsten) and I have had no problem with it either.
    Last edited by texcowboy; 08-05-2012 at 10:25 PM.
    Only a Biker knows why a Dog hangs his head out the window.

G29SF, G20SF, G30SF, G36, G21SF RTF2, G32 GEN 4, G33, G19

NRA Life Member.

The makers of the tungsten rod claim you get less recoil because of the increased weight which they suppose results in more accurate shots. I'm skeptical because it can't be all that much heavier. Does anyone have experience shooting with a tungsten rod after replacing the OEM part? Any perceptible difference in recoil or accuracy? FTR I have a G23.

Quote Originally Posted by JackRussell View Post
    The makers of the tungsten rod claim you get less recoil because of the increased weight which they suppose results in more accurate shots. I'm skeptical because it can't be all that much heavier. Does anyone have experience shooting with a tungsten rod after replacing the OEM part? Any perceptible difference in recoil or accuracy? FTR I have a G23.
    Yeah, I thought the whole purpose of Tungsten was because it was light and strong. I would bet it's lighter than the nylon one but not by much maybe a fraction.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieKiller57 View Post
    Yeah, I thought the whole purpose of Tungsten was because it was light and strong. I would bet it's lighter than the nylon one but not by much maybe a fraction.
    No, "tung" is actually the Norwegian word for "heavy". I bet you're thinking of titanium. The extra heft of tungsten vs. steel (and obviously nylon) is what's supposed to make it better for guide rods (i.e. recoil springs) in terms of lessening recoil and improving accuracy. I was just wondering if anybody had actually tried it before shucking out the $80. I love the whomp of a .40-cal and would never trade for a 9 just to get accuracy, but every little bit of recoil reduction would help.

Well there differnt for sure the 1 for the gen 3 is alot heaver than the 4 i purchased ,,,, really feels heaver in my G21 Gen3in the nose of the pistol ill respond back and see for myself if it tames the recoil any

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors