Putting my guns up for awhile.

This is a discussion on Putting my guns up for awhile. within the Glock Talk and Discussion forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; I went to the range yesterday with my G26 and had a very bad experience that I am still almost shaking about. I pulled the ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Putting my guns up for awhile.

Putting my guns up for awhile.

I went to the range yesterday with my G26 and had a very bad experience that I am still almost shaking about. I pulled the gun out of my holster, and I must have had my finger on the trigger and the gun discharged before I had it pointed uprange. Luckily there was nowone else there and no damage was done. I put the gun away and went home. I am afraid to pick the gun up now. I thought I had it ingrained in my head and muscle memory not to touch the trigger untill I had the gun pointed at whatever I was willing to shoot. Not only that, it is a stock Glock 5.5 pound trigger. How did I pull it that hard without even trying? I have to rethink this whole thing now. I have only had a pistol for about four months and maybe at 59, I am losing my edge. I am putting them away for awhile to calm down and think this over. The sad part is that I took the safety course and had a good instructor to boot.

Sorry to hear about your incident and glad no one was hurt. If you are unsure about handling the Glock then you are doing the correct thing by putting it away, especially if you have alredy taken a safety course. I use the Safe T Blok in all my Glocks and the Blocks stay put until I am ready to fire even though I am well versed in keeping my trigger finger out of the guard until ready to fire. I hope you gain your confidence back in the future. Unless you are on some medication that interferes with your judgement, age 59 should not be causing your problem. I am 72 and CCW every day and practice once a month. For a short time the Dr had me on some strong Blood Pressure medicine that made me kind of 'fuzzy" but I had him change it and now all is well.
    Only a Biker knows why a Dog hangs his head out the window.

G29SF, G20SF, G30SF, G36, G21SF RTF2, G32 GEN 4, G33, G19

NRA Life Member.

Things happen to the best of us, man.. Not necessarily time to pack it in...Glad you're ok, and no one was hurt...
    Glock softly and leave your big stick at home...
    rowabi

I put the gun away and went home. I am afraid to pick the gun up now.
    When riding a motorcycle one of the things you learn is if you don't get back on it after you dump it or have a wreck; you never will so it is important to get back on and fight that scared feeling. Failure is a great teacher if you let it, the will to do better is what makes us good at doing things. One of the things I like about a laser trainer is I can do hundreds of dry fires and keep muscle memory sharper than not.
    the natural way we grip makes it easy to pull the trigger and this is why I am not a fan of pocket carry and that all you did. You got comfortable and made a boo-boo but no one got hurt so that is a plus. so look at the way your gripping the gun and correct it here are two pic's

notice how low the finger in to the trigger guard and some just lay it across the trigger guard, this is too easy for the finger to slip in when you grap the gun
    Putting my guns up for awhile.-grip1.jpg
    This is the right way to grip a gun, trigger finger UP and across the slide and this greatly reduces the chance of failure and the index finger is a natural pointer
    Putting my guns up for awhile.-grip2.jpg
    nothing re-wires a human more effectively than pain, fear and, especially, trauma.

Denial is a save-now-pay-later scheme, a contract written entirely in small print, for in the long run, the denying person knows the truth on some level.

as like everyone else i'm glad your ok. i was in a shooting booth with a friend one time and he handed me his gun pointed down range and said it wasn't loaded. i pulled the trigger and it went off and i know how that felt and i can imagine how you must feel. i think what might put my mind at ease is to go back to the range with the gun unloaded and research what might of happened. type of clothes, holster, what you were thinking about anything that would give you some idea how this happen. if your lucky enough to find a reason why maybe that would restore your confidence and put your mind at ease.

I'm 68 and have put a LOT of rounds downrange over the years with ONE AD. I was shooting an H&K P7M8...the "squeeze cocker" 9mm. I drew the pistol and let my finger touch the trigger. This was before I had squeezed the cocking lever on the grip. When I did squeeze the lever, the gun went BANG! Evidently, the slight pressure I had on the trigger turned the lever into an oversized DA trigger in itself. The pistol was already pointed at the target, but I still darn near had to change the old underwear on that one. I'm still shooting with no intention of stopping.
    Last edited by jdw174; 12-14-2012 at 03:19 AM.

I was probably just getting sloppy and without noticing, put my finger on the trigger. I have to be very careful with that because I have been a boat mechanic for many years, and my fingers are very strong, and because of abuse, they are scarred up and I dont exactly have a light touch when I pick something up. I was taught to put my trigger finger on the slide so if I tripped or slipped, it would not accidently hit the trigger. I guess i will wait a few days untill I calm down and go back to the range and load the gun at the shooting booth and figure out what I was or wasn't thinking. Right now my stomach is still knotted up a bit. I am however not going to CC again untill I can be sure that this is not going to happen again.

good for you shardy! sounds like your already making progress. you know whats best for you and i'm sure you will be fine!

First off, I'm glad to hear nobody was hurt. Secondly, I am still new to the sport of shooting and handling firearms. I have been avidly training and researching for about a year now and I initially had a "voice in the back of my mind" that would remind me that I am NOT a professional nor am I some kind of real life movie start and that my firearms were the real deal. What I found that has worked for ME is that I take steps or intervals in how I carry or handle my glocks. I started out only loading at the shooting table after I had set up in my booth and been ready to fire. From there I took the step to loading mags but not having them in the gun. When I felt comfortable enough out on the farm or at the range I would have a loaded mag in the gun while in the holster but no hot round in the chamber. I still carry my pistol without a round in the chamber until my comfort level and my surroundings are what they need to be. Also, like rowabi stated earlier, accidents can happen to ANYONE and they can be one of the best teaching aids. Glad you're okay and I hope it all works out for you in the end!

Hey Shardy53, Glad you're ok. I'm sure it was a shake up for you but the best thing is to get back in there. Maybe lay the holster aside for a while with live rounds. Keep hitting the range and practice your accuracy and shooting technique. Then while your at home with an EMPTY weapon you can work on your drawing drills. Then slowly reincorporate them back into your live fire drills. The worst thing you can do right now for your muscle memory with only 4 month of shooting is to step back. Use what you learned from the experience and press on, you have a mission to complete
    rowabi likes this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors