trigger work

This is a discussion on trigger work within the Glock Talk and Discussion forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; I think this gets blowed out of proportion by so many who watch stuff like NCIS and crap like that. In the Real world, it ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: trigger work

I think this gets blowed out of proportion by so many who watch stuff like NCIS and crap like that. In the Real world, it won't be a problem. I installed a Ghost 3.5# connector, a polished trigger bar, competition spring set and polished all my internals for a crisp 3#s. I've shot thousands and thousands of rounds with no problems at all. It's a glock gen 4 22 and I don't need no problems, its my duty gun. I have not a doubt in the world about this not being 100% reliable.

I had 1 light strike with a comp spring kit, .25 cent trigger job, trigger stop, and 3.5 pound connector. Could have been a hard primer (I have had lots of issues with WLP primers with this lot # before). Mostly runs like a champ though. That being said it is a range gun not a HD gun. In a HD gun id say the most id do is a generous polishing. Itll make a bigger difference than you think.
    Men decide. Slaves obey. (I know its from a video game but it holds so true)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbI7gxxbYpo

West of Chicago, Ill. and Ozark Mountains
    I don't really think the lowing of a trigger from 5.5 lbs factory specs say to 3.5 lbs is going to send you away for 10 years because you had to use your CCW tool! I have two of my carry guns set at 3.5-lbs and my hunting pistol with 6 inch barrel is set at 5-lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Got the 3.5 lb connector installed today on my G23 and put 50 rounds down the pipe, 5-7 yards today. I did notice improvement in accuracy and smoother trigger pull. No change in trigger travel distance, just a lighter pull throughout. Overall, nice modification for small amount of money ($25 installed by Glock Certified Armorer).
    Now try using a Ghost, 'Evo Elite' or, 'Rocket' 3.5# connector. Both have, 'shape to fit' trigger stops on them. You WILL notice a further improvement. Any Glock is fired best from the trigger's reset position. If you want to improve the trigger break from the reset position then use a Wolff Gunsprings, 6#, 'extra power' trigger spring. If you're making these modifications to a carry gun then I'd strongly suggest that you stay away from glitzy doodads like, 'reduced weight' striker, and striker (FP) safety springs. If you know how to do a, '$1.50 polishing job' then I'd say it's well worth the effort. (It's a lot of hand polishing; but, if you're good with a Dremel Tool (and only if you're good) then that's the right way to go.)

The triggers on my EDC Glocks, all, break at between 4.9 to 5.2 #'s. The only difference is that they break, 'very clean'; and remain entirely safe to carry. They are, each, set up as above. There are numerous on-line resources available for you to learn how to disassemble, and reassemble a Glock pistol. YouTube videos, and Arc Angel's Blog over at GT are two sources that immediately come to mind.

Glock Disassembly - YouTube
    PART ONE: How To Completely Disassemble A Glock Pistol - Glock Talk
    PART TWO: How To Reassemble A Completely Broken-Down Glock - Glock Talk
    Believe In God, And Always Do The Right Thing!

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    for that matter if you were wearing plaid pants and smoking a cigar it could be used against you too. The fact is that too light of a trigger and the lack of motor skills in a SD situation greatly increases your chances of a ND/AD. Mods like trigger bars and new springs are sold without a legal warning because if they are used in a legal manner they have no bearing on a case. Before Glock’s they used to polish the sears on revolvers so they had a "hair line trigger" and never heard of that being a factor in a case. Anything that will make you look bad will be having the punisher engraved across you slide, stuff like that
    Man that's a very good point! I never thought about it like that before. That certainly charged my outlook on a custom back plate for my carry. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pistolero View Post
    Now try using a Ghost, 'Evo Elite' or, 'Rocket' 3.5# connector. Both have, 'shape to fit' trigger stops on them. You WILL notice a further improvement. Any Glock is fired best from the trigger's reset position. If you want to improve the trigger break from the reset position then use a Wolff Gunsprings, 6#, 'extra power' trigger spring. If you're making these modifications to a carry gun then I'd strongly suggest that you stay away from glitzy doodads like, 'reduced weight' striker, and striker (FP) safety springs. If you know how to do a, '$1.50 polishing job' then I'd say it's well worth the effort. (It's a lot of hand polishing; but, if you're good with a Dremel Tool (and only if you're good) then that's the right way to go.)

The triggers on my EDC Glocks, all, break at between 4.9 to 5.2 #'s. The only difference is that they break, 'very clean'; and remain entirely safe to carry. They are, each, set up as above. There are numerous on-line resources available for you to learn how to disassemble, and reassemble a Glock pistol. YouTube videos, and Arc Angel's Blog over at GT are two sources that immediately come to mind.

Glock Disassembly - YouTube
    PART ONE: How To Completely Disassemble A Glock Pistol - Glock Talk
    PART TWO: How To Reassemble A Completely Broken-Down Glock - Glock Talk
    I appreciate the feedback and agree 100% about utilizing Glock's reset position. Proper follow through is important for Glock shooting, as is with any handgun. But I don't plan on taking the Glock internal modifications to the degree you mentioned. I changed the trigger connector on the Glock 23 and will put another 100 or so rounds through it to make sure I'm comfortable, and then will start carrying it again. For now, I'm carrying the 19 (with the night sights, crimson trace, etc.). I rotate my carry guns about once a week.

Also, why would the 3.5# trigger ever be considered "unsafe" to carry? Finger of the trigger is the best safety, right?
    Glock 19 gen 4
    Sig P226 (German)
    Sig P229 Elite Dark 9mm
    Sig 1911 C3
    Kimber Custom II
    Colt 1911 CCG
    Beretta 92fs
    And... an awesome wife who likes shooting guns!

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    ....... Also, why would the 3.5# trigger ever be considered "unsafe" to carry? Finger of the trigger is the best safety, right?
    I don't believe that it is!

'3.5' is an advertising misnomer. The true pull weight of a factory (or aftermarket) '-' connector is actually 4.5#'s. The, '-' connector is, also, standard issue in both G-34 and G-35 pistols. Consequently, Glock, Inc. is as much as saying that their, '-' connectors are safe to use. As I think I mentioned, I use my, '3.5#' connectors in conjunction with 6# trigger and striker springs. My actual trigger pull weights have been repeatedly measured at the center of the trigger's face as running between 4.9 and 5.2#'s. (You'll seldom get only one trigger pull weight every time the trigger is measured.) I've never heard of, read about, nor have I ever met any so-called, 'firearms expert' who regarded any pistol trigger above 3# as a, 'light' trigger. Years ago my custom-tuned, match-grade 1911's had, 'light triggers' that ranged between 2.5 and 2.75#'s - They were, 'light'. 1 1/2#'s? That's insane on anything except a very high quality long range (sniper) rifle!

No! I'm going to have to disagree with you. 'A finger off the trigger' is NOT the best safety device. (1) I've got more than 60 years of experience (heavy experience along with a couple of bullet holes in my hide) that say keeping your finger off the trigger 100% of the time is an impossible thing to do - Impossible. (2) What keeps you safe is a combination of: God, good luck, and deeply ingrained personal firearm handling habits. Let me try to explain: It's one thing to know Cooper's Four Rules Of Gun Safety by heart. Many, many of us have these rules permanently memorized. My point is, 'So what!'

Until these Four Rules of Gun Safety are thoroughly inculcated into both your personal psyche AND personal gun-handling HABITS they are no better than any other academic information. Anyone can violate a rule; that's an easy thing to do; but, very few people will violate (or change) a personal gun-handling habit without a serious moment's pause! Most of the time all of my pretensioned, striker-fired pistols are carried in C-3. It's the least I can do for a family who tolerates me and all of my guns, and constant gun-handling so very well, so very much of the time.
    Believe In God, And Always Do The Right Thing!

Thanks for the information - well put.
    Glock 19 gen 4
    Sig P226 (German)
    Sig P229 Elite Dark 9mm
    Sig 1911 C3
    Kimber Custom II
    Colt 1911 CCG
    Beretta 92fs
    And... an awesome wife who likes shooting guns!

I have never had any trigger work done to any gun that I have ever owned. I just practice, practice and practice. The only thing I ever change is standard sights to night sights and maybe grips. If I ever have to use it in self defense ( I hope I never have too ) I want my pistol to be bone stock. That's just me. Dave
    FNX-45
    S&W M&P Shield 9mm
    Ruger SR40
    Ruger 10/22 Tacitcal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbV3lf1HzQI Toby Keith

For me this is the Mack Daddy,EVO ELITE 3.5

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsors