Last Shot Hold Open with 1 still in the mag? G26 gen4

This is a discussion on Last Shot Hold Open with 1 still in the mag? G26 gen4 within the Glock Troubleshooting and Maintenance forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; Anyone else have a problem with a glock holding open with one still in the mag? Doesnt do it every time (only about 6 times ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Last Shot Hold Open with 1 still in the mag? G26 gen4

Anyone else have a problem with a glock holding open with one still in the mag? Doesnt do it every time (only about 6 times in 3500 rounds) at first with only one mag (i marked it), yesterday happened with another mag.

Could it be a problem with the lips of the mag being too far apart or too close together? Anyone know the exact measurement from lip to lip on a 9 x19 gen4 mag? Any other informed suggestions? Hate to just trash mags if it is a simple fix.

Does this happen with only one brand of ammo? Is the ammo factory, remanufactured or reloads?
    Only a Biker knows why a Dog hangs his head out the window.

G29SF, G20SF, G30SF, G36, G21SF RTF2, G32 GEN 4, G33, G19

NRA Life Member.

have you ruled out crazy thumb syndrome? it doesn't take much pressure to push the slide stop up causing it to lock

I dont think it is a thumb issue as it has happened so infrequently. I do change up and shoot one handed right and left, two handed strong side weak side as well as move around in the booth as much as the RM will allow. That said I have never noticed a corrillation. The helpful guys at the range cermised that it may be a worn mag and strong pinky push on the bottom of the mag. Just thought someone else must have had the same problem with a glock sub compact. Also, I need to look closer and learn how exactly the last shot hold open works, both with the gun and the mag.

I have only put two brands thru the gun. Mostly S & B (or what I call Lillie Miller because the name is in cursive and damb hard to read)

Watch what you feed it, look for common denominators. Do you use a after market magazine extension(s) on the mag/mags in question? I had to stop using the pierce grip extension because I was putting pressure on the extension causing the mag to move slightly during cycling on my g26. Went to the glock factory + extensions and feel more comfortable and have had no issues.

Has the hold open happened more recently, or more at the beginning of the 3500 rounds?
    Last edited by M.Netherlands; 09-26-2012 at 10:40 PM.

RMD
    Quote Originally Posted by cartwheelmon View Post
    Anyone else have a problem with a glock holding open with one still in the mag? Doesnt do it every time (only about 6 times in 3500 rounds) at first with only one mag (i marked it), yesterday happened with another mag.

Could it be a problem with the lips of the mag being too far apart or too close together? Anyone know the exact measurement from lip to lip on a 9 x19 gen4 mag? Any other informed suggestions? Hate to just trash mags if it is a simple fix.
    Problem is usually:

• Improper hand position
    • Reverse tension on slide stop lever
    • Damaged slide stop lever

Not gonna be #2 as it would happen every shot

If you're 100% sure it's not your thumb riding the slide stop lever up, then you might want to replace the slide stop lever.

If you look down on an empty magazine, you can see the little flat ledge that pushes the slide stop lever up. The top of the mag would have to be pretty deformed to do that. And since you said it happened with multiple magazines, I've got to think it's either your thumb (happens to me every so often) or the slide stop lever itself.
    i might know something

This was happening to my Gen 4 23 but with 5+ rounds in it, varying every time. This along with multiple failure to ejects and failure to loads. Sent it in to Glock with all of my mags, got brand new mags and haven't had an issue since. I called them up and told them it was my primary carry weapon (LE) so I had it back within a week. I find it odd how its only on one round left in the mag, strange coincidence for it to be manual error. Just my take on it though, I am no expert.

The other thought I had was as M.Netherlands expressed, if you use a pinky extension you could be putting too much pressure with your pinky. I had a similar problem when I used a G17 mag in a G19, I was putting too much pressure on the extended part of the mag.
    Only a Biker knows why a Dog hangs his head out the window.

G29SF, G20SF, G30SF, G36, G21SF RTF2, G32 GEN 4, G33, G19

NRA Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Netherlands View Post
    Watch what you feed it, look for common denominators. Do you use a after market magazine extension(s) on the mag/mags in question? I had to stop using the pierce grip extension because I was putting pressure on the extension causing the mag to move slightly during cycling on my g26. Went to the glock factory + extensions and feel more comfortable and have had no issues.

Has the hold open happened more recently, or more at the beginning of the 3500 rounds?
    I first noticed it happen at about 750 rounds, then spread out over the next 2000+. about 5 or 6 times with one factory 10rnd mag, yesterday with a second fctry 10rnd mag. I do have one mag with a pinky extension, but so far no problem with that one. Shot only Sellier Bellot 9 x 19 9mm last 2000 + rounds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors