G21 Gen3 Slide Closing Failure When Round Chambered Without Mag

This is a discussion on G21 Gen3 Slide Closing Failure When Round Chambered Without Mag within the Glock Troubleshooting and Maintenance forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; Hi, New to using Glock's and had a question. When my G21 Gen3 slide is open with no mag inserted, and I physically place a ...

G21 Gen3 Slide Closing Failure When Round Chambered Without Mag

Hi,

New to using Glock's and had a question. When my G21 Gen3 slide is open with no mag inserted, and I physically place a round into the barrel, shouldn't the slide be able to close completely with a round chambered? It will chamber a round into the barrel and the slide will close completely when I use a mag, but for whatever reason, the slide wont close all the way unless I use a mag to chamber that round. Just trying to understand why this is, and see if any other Glock owners have experienced this.G21 Gen3 Slide Closing Failure When Round Chambered Without Mag-glock-pic-1.jpgG21 Gen3 Slide Closing Failure When Round Chambered Without Mag-glock-pic-2.jpg

I just learned this a few weeks ago! Don't use the slide release, hold the pistol with your shooting hand. Place the other over the slide. With a push pull motion release it!

CAguncontrolsux, when a cartridge is chambered from the magazine, the rim slides up under the extractor as it is pushed forward by the slide. When the slide is dropped on a chambered cartridge, the extractor cannot pivot properly to bypass the rim because it is not designed to do so. This applies to all Glocks. Now for the bad news. In dropping the slide on a chambered cartridge, you will eventually chip the bottom corner of the extractor claw. It is not a matter of will it happen but one of when will it happen. When the model 21 first hit the market, I purchased one. I soon had failures to extract. I contacted Glock and was asked the following question: did you drop the slide on a cartridge that you placed in the chamber? My answer was yes. I was told to look at the extractor and see if it was chipped. The extractor was chipped. Believe it or not, I was sent a replacement extractor instead of having to waste everyone’s time by sending the pistol back. I was advised to never drop the slide on a chambered round. Now, I only dropped the slide on a chambered round a couple of times. So, if I were you, I would buy a replacement extractor to ensure the one in the pistol will not fail in the future. By the way, the same applies to a 1911 with a standard extractor.

NEVER CLOSE THE SLIDE ON A LOADED ROUND you can crack the extractor. the gun is designed to feed from the mag. when I round is chambered it forces the extractor around the case rim and the spring is very stiff
    Last edited by barstoolguru; 06-11-2013 at 10:48 PM.
    nothing re-wires a human more effectively than pain, fear and, especially, trauma.

Denial is a save-now-pay-later scheme, a contract written entirely in small print, for in the long run, the denying person knows the truth on some level.

Quote Originally Posted by downeyg View Post
    CAguncontrolsux, when a cartridge is chambered from the magazine, the rim slides up under the extractor as it is pushed forward by the slide. When the slide is dropped on a chambered cartridge, the extractor cannot pivot properly to bypass the rim because it is not designed to do so. This applies to all Glocks. Now for the bad news. In dropping the slide on a chambered cartridge, you will eventually chip the bottom corner of the extractor claw. It is not a matter of will it happen but one of when will it happen. When the model 21 first hit the market, I purchased one. I soon had failures to extract. I contacted Glock and was asked the following question: did you drop the slide on a cartridge that you placed in the chamber? My answer was yes. I was told to look at the extractor and see if it was chipped. The extractor was chipped. Believe it or not, I was sent a replacement extractor instead of having to waste everyone’s time by sending the pistol back. I was advised to never drop the slide on a chambered round. Now, I only dropped the slide on a chambered round a couple of times. So, if I were you, I would buy a replacement extractor to ensure the one in the pistol will not fail in the future. By the way, the same applies to a 1911 with a standard extractor.
    downeyg- Thank you, this was a BIG help!

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    NEVER CLOSE THE SLIDE ON A LOADED ROUND you can crack the extractor. the gun is designed to feed from the mag. when I round is chambered it forces the extractor around the case rim and the spring is very stiff
    barstoolguru- Thank you for the assist! I see what you and downeyg are talking about in regards to how the extractor works in Glocks. Definitely wont be trying to chamber a round without using a mag. Thanks again!

Sponsors