Glock 17 light strike

This is a discussion on Glock 17 light strike within the Glock Troubleshooting and Maintenance forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; Just recently , Glock 17 occasionaly has a light strike in primer ( small dent ) and fails to fire ., so have to eject. ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Glock 17 light strike

Just recently , Glock 17 occasionaly has a light strike in primer ( small dent ) and fails to fire ., so have to eject. Also noticed that when this happens the slide sits back maybe 1/8" but why does this happen . Firearm clean and in good condition , ammo ok , have used other shooters ammo , have had other shooters use and inspect firearm . Had a lot of suggestions but can't seem to find or fix problem . Problem does'nt seem to have a rythem as to when it happens Any suggestions ?

sounds like the extractor may be interfering with the slide seating against the round properly. Have you ever done a detail strip down or have you taken out the extractor. How old is the weapon? What Generation is it?

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieKiller57 View Post
    sounds like the extractor may be interfering with the slide seating against the round properly. Have you ever done a detail strip down or have you taken out the extractor. How old is the weapon? What Generation is it?
    Firearm is 5 years old - not sure what gen firearm is ( i live in small area of Western Australia - not a lot of info available and firearm dealers really just sell firearms ) Yes has had a complete and full detailed stripdown

Quote Originally Posted by rider View Post
    Firearm is 5 years old - not sure what gen firearm is ( i live in small area of Western Australia - not a lot of info available and firearm dealers really just sell firearms ) Yes has had a complete and full detailed stripdown
    This will help identify the generation you have.
    1st thing you might try is to strip it down again and reassemble it paying particular attention the the extractor assembly and spring as well as the striker assemble, spring and sleeve to ensure they are properly seated. Check fire and see how it works

Glock 17 light strike-glockframesv1q10.jpg

2nd thing, did you buy it used or do you know the approximate round count through the gun? If it's used and unknown then I would suggest replacing all of the springs in the Glock and then check fire and see if you see any difference. You can get spring packs fairly cheap.

3rd thing is you could call Glock directly and see what suggestions they have.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieKiller57 View Post
    This will help identify the generation you have.
    1st thing you might try is to strip it down again and reassemble it paying particular attention the the extractor assembly and spring as well as the striker assemble, spring and sleeve to ensure they are properly seated. Check fire and see how it works

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glockframesv1q10.jpg 
Views:	16447 
Size:	746.9 KB 
ID:	427

2nd thing, did you buy it used or do you know the approximate round count through the gun? If it's used and unknown then I would suggest replacing all of the springs in the Glock and then check fire and see if you see any difference. You can get spring packs fairly cheap.

3rd thing is you could call Glock directly and see what suggestions they have.
    Glock was bought new and less than 8000 rounds been thru it . Also it is a Gen 3 . I willtry what you have suggested and will post reply on forum with results ( may take a week or 2 ) Thanks for the help

I'd make sure the firing pin channel is clean and dry. There is a simple test you can do without disassembling the slide - while depressing the firing pin safety plunger with your thumb, shake the slide front & back. The firing pin should rattle freely (in & out). If it doesn't, it's hanging up.

Also do a full function test. One thing I noticed when I disassembled my slide was that the striker safety spring got stuck sideways, and when I would cycle the slide with the trigger depressed it would not come back to full battery (it was stuck about 1/8" - 1/4" like you said in your initial post). After I took out the striker safety and the strike safety spring and reassembled it, it worked great afterwords. Sometimes it's best to hold the striker safety on the end of your finger, put the spring in it, and then push it upward into the slide with the slide right side up instead of trying to drop it in.

Just an update on the problem of an occasional light strike on primer . Decided to replace firing spring pin only because i had a spare but mainly had no idea how to fix fault.( Only getting a light strike occasionally ) Spring looks fine , But replacing the spring has fixed fault. Not one bit of problem all afternoon ( about 600 rounds ) in fast and slow firing . Had a good day Thanks to all the responses and suggestions This is the first forum of any kind that i have joined and will keep a regular eye on forum . Again thanks

Glad to hear you got the G17 back up and running. There is a lot of Glock knowledge on this site.
    Only a Biker knows why a Dog hangs his head out the window.

G29SF, G20SF, G30SF, G36, G21SF RTF2, G32 GEN 4, G33, G19

NRA Life Member.

Good news rider. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the suggested spring change out count is somewhere around 10K rounds so that would be expected since you say you were at 8K.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors