House Passes Bill To Help Vets With Mental Illness Buy Guns

This is a discussion on House Passes Bill To Help Vets With Mental Illness Buy Guns within the Off Topic Discussion forums, part of the Off Topic category; The VA defined such individuals as those who receive monetary benefits, and have a fiduciary because they lack “the mental capacity to manage his or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: House Passes Bill To Help Vets With Mental Illness Buy Guns

The VA defined such individuals as those who receive monetary benefits, and have a fiduciary because they lack “the mental capacity to manage his or her own financial affairs regarding disbursement of funds without limitation, and is either rated incompetent by VA or adjudged to be under legal disability by a court of competent jurisdiction.”

There are an estimated 174,000 veterans who have been added to the background check system for many different reasons. The VA estimated in 2015 that about 19,000 of those people suffer from schizophrenia, 15,000 have severe post-traumatic stress, 11,000 suffer from dementia, about 5,000 are diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease, and 4,000 are severely depressed.

The bill, dubbed the Veterans 2nd Amendment Protection Act, stops the VA from referring any of those veterans to the background check system. It passed 240 to 175, on a nearly party-line vote.
    this is a mixed bag of feelings, SD is a right but not getting killed is a bigger right. this is a subject that cuts both ways, do you protect the public or do you give the right to SD to a mentally unstable person?

House Passes Bill To Help Vets With Mental Illness Buy Guns | The Huffington Post
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

This is a big step. I know more than a few veterans that have PTSD issues and deserve compensation for what they have been through.

BUT...they don't disclose their issues to the VA because of fears they will lose their 2nd amendment rights.
    Gen 3 Glocks: 23, 29, 30
    Gen 4 Glocks: 17, 19, 21, 26, 34, 43

US Navy 1998 - TBD

This bill wasn't about mental illness.. This was about reporting vets that get financial assistance saying that "they are mentally unstable because they are bad with money or need financial help." This bill was to stop that from happening The huffington post is trying to spin this into anti gun rhetoric, by sighting metal disorder statistics in their article.They were trying to make that connection. Needs financial assistance must be mentally incompetent.
    Just cause a vet get financial assistance doesn't mean they are mentally incompetent. And is no reason to limit his 2nd amendment right.. That's is one group who should get financial assistance. Our vets deserve better !
    Keep your loved ones close and your firearms closer
    Glock 23 Gen 3 exo
    Glock 26 Gen 3
    Ruger LCP

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

Nobody's going to seek help, if it means they will lose rights they hold dear.

A person's psychological condition is a sacred thing and should be protected.

Punish people who do bad things. Let people who admit they need help get help without taking away their freedom.

We all have mental ailments. Some seek help, some manage themselves, and others get out of control.

Punish the third, not the first or second group.

BREAKING: House Votes To Stop VA From Placing Veterans On No-Gun Lists

The House passed a new bill that will disallow prior legislation requiring the Veteran’s Administration to report to the FBI the name of any veteran who requests help with VA benefits. These veterans are then declared “mentally incompetent” to handle a gun and placed on a no-gun list.

Veterans of all people, who fought for our country and have been trained in gun use, lose their Second Amendment rights because they need help with government paperwork.
    this starts bringing back the trust that was lost

BREAKING: House Votes To Stop VA From Placing Veterans On No-Gun Lists
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

The VA is a civilian agency, and most of them have never done anything, but serve behind a desk. They are enemies of gun owners in general, since they do not understand the need for one.
    So they use backdoor methods to disarm the vets, who they view as dangerous. There are plenty of VA employees who view all vets as a danger.
    Last edited by MisterMills357; 03-22-2017 at 03:07 PM.
    barstoolguru likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMills357 View Post
    The VA is a civilian agency, and most of them have never done anything, but serve behind a desk. They are enemies of gun owners in general, since they do not understand the need for one.
    So they use backdoor methods to disarm the vets, who they view as dangerous. There are plenty of VA employees who view all vets as a danger.
    I was at the VA and talking too a tech and he told me they are under the gun to report to the gov all the time. I said what about phy/pat confidentiality. he said it doesn't exist in the VA
    MisterMills357 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I was at the VA and talking too a tech and he told me they are under the gun to report to the gov all the time. I said what about phy/pat confidentiality. he said it doesn't exist in the VA
    I guess it is just an extension of the military where your constitutional rights pretty much don't exist.

I imagine with all of the vets that commit suicide (22 per day per the "22kill" group), and forks that need serious help, there is a lot of political pressure put on the VA to ensure the safety of not only the vets but also the public...although I am surprised there is no confidentiality.

The VA is really pushing PTSD diagnosis if you have a combat deployment...almost like they want everyone to have PTSD on paper.
    Last edited by coltm723; 03-22-2017 at 07:09 PM.
    Gen 3 Glocks: 23, 29, 30
    Gen 4 Glocks: 17, 19, 21, 26, 34, 43

US Navy 1998 - TBD

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I learned my lesson when I was in the Army, about keeping my mouth shut, and always thinking defensively. The government is corrupt by nature, and it always seeks more power.
    If that sounds pretty broad, it is, but I look at the Va as interrogators, as much as much as anything else. The people that work there are no ones friend, and they are there for the job bennies.
    I do not trust any government agencies to do the right thing.
    barstoolguru likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by coltm723 View Post
    I guess it is just an extension of the military where your constitutional rights pretty much don't exist.

I imagine with all of the vets that commit suicide (22 per day per the "22kill" group), and forks that need serious help, there is a lot of political pressure put on the VA to ensure the safety of not only the vets but also the public...although I am surprised there is no confidentiality.

The VA is really pushing PTSD diagnosis if you have a combat deployment...almost like they want everyone to have PTSD on paper.
    I have been through that, ie, having PTSD pushed on me, and I have been explicit in denying it. And I will keep doing that, since it is a feather in any cap, to come to the rescue of any PTSD sufferer; even if they have to make it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links