Installing Night Sights

This is a discussion on Installing Night Sights within the Optics and Glass forums, part of the The Armory category; How hard is it to install night sights like these: Truglo Tritium Night Sight Not asking about the quality of the product, just the complexity ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Installing Night Sights

Installing Night Sights

How hard is it to install night sights like these: Truglo Tritium Night Sight

Not asking about the quality of the product, just the complexity of the installation. I'm sure some of you have installed your own sights. Was just wondering if this is a typical DIY project or something requiring specialized knowledge and tools. In other words, I don't want to trash the slide!

Quote Originally Posted by JackRussell View Post

Not asking about the quality of the product, just the complexity of the installation. I'm sure some of you have installed your own sights. Was just wondering if this is a typical DIY project or something requiring specialized knowledge and tools. In other words, I don't want to trash the slide!
    I've had people tell me they install them with wooden blocks, a punch and several other tools. Personally, I like the idea that someone (like an armorer) has the correct "pusher" tool to install them correctly, which I used yesterday. I'm sure I could probably accomplish it with those other tools described but afraid that I may scratch or damage something in the process. Hope that helps!
    Last edited by ArmyCobra1; 09-21-2012 at 09:56 AM.
    budd.meents likes this.
    Us Army Attack Helicopter Crew Chief, Retired,
    Disabled Veteran
    Glock 30 Gen 4, DPMS AR15 , Ruger LCR .38 Special, Ruger SR22
    NRA Life Member

And, by the way, I did have TruGlo's installed.
    Disabled Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Thanks, AC. This kinda helps me lean toward taking it in. I wanted to avoid that because that means no handgun. As I've reported here before, I'm not a collector. I have one of everything! The only thing I ever collected was children and that's why I can't afford to collect anything else.

But changing subject to quality of this particular brand, do you really like those TruGlo's? You and I use the same ammo in the same gun ... might as well have the same sights I guess.

Thanks, AC. This kinda helps me lean toward taking it in. I wanted to avoid that because that means no handgun. As I've reported here before, I'm not a collector. I have one of everything! The only thing I ever collected was children and that's why I can't afford to collect anything else.

But changing subject to quality of this particular brand, do you really like those TruGlo's? You and I use the same ammo in the same gun ... might as well have the same sights I guess.
    I love the sights! I didn't have to "give my gun up" because I spend a lot of money at this one gun store. I get along with them and know them quite well so he installed them in 15 minutes. Didn't charge me anything even though I insisted. Had to buy SOMETHING, so, I bought some ammo. Like I said, I really love the sights! What a difference!!
    Disabled Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Come on down to North Alabama and I will take you to some great shooting places!!
    Disabled Veteran
    NRA Life Member

I just did mine yesterday and it takes about 15 minutes, a triangular file and I used a 3/16 socket (grind the outside down a little to thin the wall a bit) and some blue Loctite. Remove the front site with a pair of pliers and just twisting and it will unscrew and knock the rear off with a block of wood (both are plastic).

The front sight will have to be tapped on because the fit is so tight but a good bump with a hard rubber mallet works well. Then the rear has to be fitted by tapping it on and then file it a pass or too. No more because it is aluminum and material comes off fast and refit it. Center it and then add a drop of Loctite to the lock down screw and you’re done

by the way you can get them on amazon right now for about 56.00+shipping

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I just did mine yesterday and it takes about 15 minutes, a triangular file and I used a 3/16 socket (grind the outside down a little to thin the wall a bit) and some blue Loctite. Remove the front site with a pair of pliers and just twisting and it will unscrew and knock the rear off with a block of wood (both are plastic).

The front sight will have to be tapped on because the fit is so tight but a good bump with a hard rubber mallet works well. Then the rear has to be fitted by tapping it on and then file it a pass or too. No more because it is aluminum and material comes off fast and refit it. Center it and then add a drop of Loctite to the lock down screw and you’re done

by the way you can get them on amazon right now for about 56.00+shipping
    So it's a definite "take in" job. It was obvious from reading that that a lot of prior knowledge and practiced skill are involved, and unlike wood projects where I've screwed up several pieces of wood and still got a good end result, I can't go through slides or sights like 2x4's. If there's a hammer and a block of wood involved and it's not a carpentry project, I ain't doing it!

But thanks for the response and confirming my suspicions.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCobra1 View Post
    Come on down to North Alabama and I will take you to some great shooting places!!
    I'd love to shoot down there. We'd been shooting on my father-in-law's land until some neighbors complained and he asked us to stop. Now I'm trying to join a gun club out in the middle of nowhere and the response time of the Pres. and Treas. makes the gummint look absolutely efficient. My trigger finger's getting itchy!

I'd love to shoot down there. We'd been shooting on my father-in-law's land until some neighbors complained and he asked us to stop. Now I'm trying to join a gun club out in the middle of nowhere and the response time of the Pres. and Treas. makes the gummint look absolutely efficient. My trigger finger's getting itchy!
    I can understand that about the trigger finger, no doubt! I would shoot every day if I could afford the ammo!
    Disabled Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors