Glock Forum banner

Aimpoint PRO or Eotech 518

9K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  NunquamNonParatus 
#1 ·
I'm planning to get an optic for my AR within the next few months and have pretty much narrowed it down between these two, but I am having heck of a time deciding. I haven't seen the Aimpoint in real life yet so that could answer it for me. I played with the Eotech at Cabelas and loved the big sight window and how bright the red dot (holographic) could get. I also like that it has a 1moa dot. I don't shoot much longer than 100 yards usually (typically less even due to range limitations) but I would like to have something that I could use 100-200 yards with resonable accuracy which I think either of these could do but maybe a bit easier with the 1moa dot in the Eotech. I'm leaning towards the Eotech but like several things about the PRO like the insane battery life, you can leave it on for three years straight according to their specs, they have a 10 year warranty also and supposedly a more user friendly brightness switch. If you guys are familiar with either optic I would appreciate any feedback on the two. Thanks.

#3 ·
Some like the eotech big dot for close combat because it's fast. Other than that the aimpoint is the top manufacture in red dots. Check out the trijicon mro and aimpoint h1.

Your right if you want to shoot out to 200 yards a small dot is the way to go.

Also eotech has been in a bind lately with their sights not holding zero in cold weather or something.

#4 ·
Since I needed a red dot, for a AR-15 build, I did a lot of research. Ended up with an Aimpoint PRO, and Vortex 3x magnifier (in which I flipped the mount around, to flip it down to the right side). It was a very wise decision. I'm very happy with the setup.

#5 ·
Whatever you do have it to where you can use the iron sights through the non funtioning optic. (I learned that watching the MagPul vid. ) I have a red dot I can do that on HiPoint carbine. (accidently of course!)

#9 ·
#10 ·
Im not a big AR guy but I own and shoot one. Zero experience with Eotech and I have used an Aimpoint on several occasions. When I purchased mine a very knowledgeable friend who works at a lgs that sells Aimpoint suggested I get the Vortex Sparc ll and I love it. Fraction of the cost, lifetime warranty, and has performed well. I typically dont shoot much farther then 100 yards with it, I prefer a bolt gun with a good 12x when I shoot out to 200+

#11 ·
Ohshooter, you know I've thought about a Vortex. Like the Strikefire II or the Sparc II. They're not an Aimpoint from what I've read but as you pointed out there are a lot of good things about them. Do you feel that the sight gets bright enough? How's the clarity of the glass and red dot itself on yours?

#12 ·
The glass is good and clear and the dot brightness has several different settings. Like I said im not a big AR guy so I figure as long as its quality made, a red dot is a red dot. To me I couldnt, and still cant after owning the Vortex, justify a $400, $600, or $1200 red dot.

#13 · (Edited)
Heck even an RD30 by firefield or others may work. Amazon is a great place to shop and compare reviews. I have a reflex reticle on a 9mm carbine. I big FireField that I can sight through. And a FireField laser/Scope combo with reg or green lighting crosshairs or unlit black. It's only a 2.5x40. Still running the A pillar iron with MBUS rear. I can't recommend the laser/scope combo as one of the adjuster screws stripped out just like the people on Amazon said it would. It came NIB with a .45 carbine I bought.

Did I mention the MBUS has 2 sizes on the apertures? The big one is for long distance.

#14 ·
#15 ·
#16 ·
Man there are just TOO many to choose from! I wish I could test them all somehow! Those Vortex scopes are sure tempting but you know the saying buy one cry once haha. Although 2-$300 cost difference is a lot of ammo.

#18 ·
I have an Aimpoint Pro and love it. However, I just recently got a great deal on a Vortex Strike Eagle and mount for less than I paid for the Aimpoint. I think I will get the wife a AR for here birthday and put the Aimpoint on it.

Can't go wrong with the Aimpoint or the EoTech

#19 ·
Well I ordered a sight. I ended up buying a Vortex Spitfire 1x. I got it on Amazon for $199 shipped. I hadnt seen this one until a few days ago. I like the etched reticle that it has so if the batteries die you still have something (backup sights as well of course). I wanted an Aimpoint but got to thinking that the $230 savings would be better put towards ammo etc. The Aimpoint is the best, but for my use of this rifle I think the Spitfire will work great, I love the look of the dual bullseye reticle also! Can't wait to see it in person.

#20 · (Edited)
An update, optics planet sold me a scope (through Amazon) which was on back order even though it said it was in stock when I ordered it, I even received a confirmation email the next day that my order would ship within 48 hours. All good right? Not so much, the scope was really backordered until June. I had to call in once and chat with them to figure this out. I told them that while I understand things happen I was disappointed I wasn't notified earlier and that I would want to cancel my order and order something else elsewhere but asked before I did if they would be willing to cut me a deal on another scope. The chat rep offered to sell me the 3x Spitfire for $225, it sells for $350 so I got a really good price on it. They had a shipment confirmation email later that same day and I should have it tomorrow. The rep on the phone was a bit mouthy as well so I'm not sure I would ever order with them again, they did offer me a good deal though and expedited shipping so I'm glad they did that. At first the phone rep said he couldn't give me the faster shipping for free at this price but I told him that the chat rep was the one who offered that deal to me and notated my account, he seemed kind of irritated about this and pushed the order through anyways. They have good prices but I think I'll stick to "ships and sold by Amazon" or Midway going forward. Never had a problem whatsoever with either of them.

#21 ·
Sounds like you'll be tweaking the scope this weekend! I will ignore how much fun it is as I shouldn't spend the money on one right now. :)

#22 ·
Yeah hopefully I can get out soon, I was somewhat interested in the 3x scope but didn't want to pay that much more money so I guess this worked out ok. I only had to pay $25 more than what the 1x cost me. I can sell it and make more than I paid if I don't like it I guess. I'm sure I will like it though. I loved the reticle on the 1x but the 3 x will be nicer if I want to do some further out shooting.

#25 ·
One of my AR-15s has the Vortex Spitfire 3x. A nice scope for the price range. The other has the Aimpoint Pro, with Vortex 3x maginifier, as I previously mentioned. Building one for the wife. We bought a Burris 3x magnifier, and will use the new Vortex Sparc AR, when one is available. For the money, without spending huge amounts, I think all of these options work quite well.

#29 ·
Not knowing how far you are wanting to reach out. I have one of these I got for $275 new shipped off ebay. It was "make offer" the reticle is graduated for the 5.56rd. spitfire 556 | eBay bought it from this seller optics*laser on eBay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.