Is a DPMS AR any good?

This is a discussion on Is a DPMS AR any good? within the Other Firearms forums, part of the Other Firearm Forums category; I am looking at a DPMS AR and I was wondering if it was any good, I have heard of Rock River and Bush Master, ...

Is a DPMS AR any good?

I am looking at a DPMS AR and I was wondering if it was any good, I have heard of Rock River and Bush Master, Colt...etc but not DPMS

Quote Originally Posted by g2gunny View Post
    I am looking at a DPMS AR and I was wondering if it was any good, I have heard of Rock River and Bush Master, Colt...etc but not DPMS
    Yep. Especially for the price. Just fired one at the range the other day. I'm planning to get a DPMS Flattop so I can do all of the add-on toys myself. Rock River, Colt, Bushmaster, Windham Weaponry. (Ex-Bustmaster employees own this company) are all great weapons at great prices. I figure for $630 for a new DPMS and I was going to add the toys myself, can't go wrong!
    Us Army Attack Helicopter Crew Chief, Retired,
    Disabled Veteran
    Glock 30 Gen 4, DPMS AR15 , Ruger LCR .38 Special, Ruger SR22
    NRA Life Member

RMD
    Which model? I've heard about some of the low-end models having issues, but IMHO - if it goes bang when you pull the trigger and the bullet flies straight, it's fine :-)

It's a pretty good rifle...most of them out there now are decent...I like the S&W M&P's as well...There's also DelTon, Bravo Company, CMMG...I just ran up on a DelTon MOE version for $750...Same thing I paid for my last S&W M&P MOE...
    Glock softly and leave your big stick at home...
    rowabi

a buddy of mine just bought a DelTon a couple of weeks ago. It's a gun at a good entry price but I would'nt have bought one they just seem too cheap. I would opt for a used one which is what I did. The FFL had an used original Bushmaster with a heavy chrome lined barrel for the same price... it went home with me.
    Last edited by ZombieKiller57; 09-19-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieKiller57 View Post
    a buddy of mine just bought a DelTon a couple of weeks ago. It's a gun at a good entry price but I would have bought one they just seem too cheap. I would opt for a used one which is what I did. The FFL had an used original Bushmaster with a heavy chrome lined barrel for the same price... it went home with me.
    Good deal...
    That's what I like about the S&W's...a lot of extra stuff for not much more than you pay for an average entry level gun. One of our LGS's is an S&W dealer...great prices, plus he offers LE/Mil discounts...
    Last edited by rowabi; 09-17-2012 at 06:34 PM.
    Glock softly and leave your big stick at home...
    rowabi

I don't know a thing about the newer AR's so I'm no help there other than to say they are lots of fun and a coyote's nightmare .
    I bought my Colt SP-1 back In 1976 and it has taken everything I could throw at it and still shoots like new.
    I couldn't begin to count how many thousands and thousands of rounds it's shot over the years without a single problem.
    I finally mounted a 6X18X50 scope on it last year(eyes aren't what they used to be)and it shot a nice group at 125 yards....

Last edited by 10mmMike; 09-19-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 10mmMike View Post
    I don't know a thing about the newer AR's so I'm no help there other than to say they are lots of fun and a coyote's nightmare .
    I bought my Colt SP-1 back In 1976 and it has taken everything I could throw at it and still shoots like new.
    I couldn't begin to count how many thousands and thousands of rounds it's shot over the years without a single problem.
    I finally mounted a 6X18X50 scope on it last year(eyes aren't what they used to be)and it shot a nice group at 125 yards....

Brother, that is impressive! You could be a spokesperson for Colt and the reliability!!
    Disabled Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Nice groups Mike. When I qualified in basic training in '84, I shot a 99 out of 100 out to 300 yards with only iron sights. Colts rock! Only 2 people shot 100 out of 100. I still say my 1 dropped round went through an already existing hole that's why the target didn't fall.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieKiller57 View Post
    Nice groups Mike. When I qualified in basic training in '84, I shot a 99 out of 100 out to 300 yards with only iron sights. Colts rock! Only 2 people shot 100 out of 100. I still say my 1 dropped round went through an already existing hole that's why the target didn't fall.
    I also went to basic training in 1984!
    Disabled Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Sponsors