A Powerful +P+ .40 S&W Round From Georgia Arms.

This is a discussion on A Powerful +P+ .40 S&W Round From Georgia Arms. within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the The Armory category; I ran the numbers and I came up with 581 foot pounds of ME; that exceeds the energy level of a .357 Magnum, with a ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mrmike7189
  • 1 Post By NunquamNonParatus

Thread: A Powerful +P+ .40 S&W Round From Georgia Arms.

I ran the numbers and I came up with 581 foot pounds of ME; that exceeds the energy level of a .357 Magnum, with a 155 grain bullet. This is a very good round, with real killing power, IMHO. They charge $32 for 50 rounds of it.

There is no accepted agreement for what constitutes a +P+, not that I know of. It is a loading where an ammo company uses extra powder with a good dependable bullet. This is a 155 grain Speer Bonded Unicore bullet, loaded to higher pressure by Georgia Arms. A solid gun like a Ruger, will shrug off this load, and keep going. I mean the old P-94, it would shoot this non-stop IMHO.

This is a stout load, and should be used sparingly in a Glock; until you are sure of your gun, but I think you will be fine. If you ever have to shoot a man or dog with it; they stand a good chance of being killed.

.40 Smith & Wesson 155gr Speer Bonded Unicore Hollow Point +P+ - Georgia Arms
    Last edited by MisterMills357; 02-20-2019 at 02:17 PM.

I just don’t like the idea of going well beyond what the cartridge and firearms are designed to handle.

If I want more energy than a basic .40 will deliver, then I’ll use a 10mm with a 180 grain slug at 1300 fps or 200 grain slug at 1200 fps.

It’s a lot more pleasant to shoot than a hot .40 load on a Glock 23, too.

That said, if all you have available to you is a discontinued $300 Ruger, and you want more power, the “+p+” .40 would do it.
    Last edited by t4terrific; 02-21-2019 at 07:37 AM.

I chose the Ruger because it is strong, and with reasonable use, could stand up to a lot of shooting with this load. A 1911 with Shok Buffs should be able to handle it too.
    A Glock would be able to handle it, within reason; and it would be a good house and trail gun, IMHO. A 10 mm is a better choice in ways, but this load is worth considering.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

I own a Ruger P94 and it is a great gun with low recoil due to its weight and heavy dual recoil springs.
    I've shot standard pressure 155 grain ammo and that has plenty of power. (I like 165 and 180 better)
    I see no need for a +P or +p+ version?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike7189 View Post
    I own a Ruger P94 and it is a great gun with low recoil due to its weight and heavy dual recoil springs.
    I've shot standard pressure 155 grain ammo and that has plenty of power. (I like 165 and 180 better)
    I see no need for a +P or +p+ version?
    I have been been chased by packs of 8 or 9, faggot punk thugs, known as gangsters. So I see the need myself, I want to stop a punk with the first round.

Dont think you'd need a +P+ for that.?....people been shooting gangsters/punks for years with standard pressure 40 S&W with good results.

I do like that there are multiple load options out there for the 40 S&W. and georgia arms gets good reviews. That ammo should be super tacticool!
    MisterMills357 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Glock 26

Senior Member NunquamNonParatus's Avatar
    #1 .40 cases are thin in some areas. Bulging can occur with standard stuff. Older Glock chambers aren't fully supported. Buffalo Bore sells something they call a +P. Warnings about a possible KB in Glocks https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...duct_list&c=25 Georgia Arms sells reloads. If this is reloaded casings the possibility of a KB is probably increased.

Where's the specs?
    Last edited by NunquamNonParatus; 03-25-2019 at 10:05 AM.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk out your ass and remove all doubt." A. Lincoln (sort of.)

"It seems to me a certainty that the fatalistic teachings of Mohammed and the utter degradation of the Arab women are the outstanding causes for the arrested development of the Arab. He is exactly as he was around the year 700, while we have been developing." George S. Patton

President/executive director of the NQNP STFU awards foundation.

Senior Member NunquamNonParatus's Avatar
    MisterMills357 likes this.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk out your ass and remove all doubt." A. Lincoln (sort of.)

"It seems to me a certainty that the fatalistic teachings of Mohammed and the utter degradation of the Arab women are the outstanding causes for the arrested development of the Arab. He is exactly as he was around the year 700, while we have been developing." George S. Patton

President/executive director of the NQNP STFU awards foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike7189 View Post
    Dont think you'd need a +P+ for that.?....people been shooting gangsters/punks for years with standard pressure 40 S&W with good results.

I do like that there are multiple load options out there for the 40 S&W. and georgia arms gets good reviews. That ammo should be super tacticool!
    Don't kid yourself about standard loads, they may be insufficient, and just too weak to stop, a committed attacker. I have long been a proponent of loads that knock them down, and not just slow them down. The +P+ .40 S&W is on par with a .357 Mag., and I like that; it makes me feel all warm inside. Do ya know what I mean?

What if the guy is jacked up on PCP? What if he has his dog with him? I have seen some dogs here in Saint Petersburg, that could kill me and eat me.
    I want something that will kill them, or hurt them so bad that they can't move.

Quote Originally Posted by NunquamNonParatus View Post
    #1 .40 cases are thin in some areas. Bulging can occur with standard stuff. Older Glock chambers aren't fully supported. Buffalo Bore sells something they call a +P. Warnings about a possible KB in Glocks https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...duct_list&c=25 Georgia Arms sells reloads. If this is reloaded casings the possibility of a KB is probably increased.

Where's the specs?
    I have a .45 1911 and you know how they are, the case is not supported well, but I have still used a .45 +P identical to what GA has. So, I would use their .40 +P+, and test a gun with it.

If things seemed flakey, then I would stop messing with it. But, IMHO, a good pistol can handle it. I don't see why a Glock would have any trouble with them, in moderation.

When you say specs, what are you asking for? I have bullet weight, and velocity, but nothing else. GA is a trusted maker, so I trust them.

PS: I am going to watch the video later, I left my earphones at home. The numbers on the box, a 155 grain traveling 1,300 FPS, are on par with a .357 Mag.
    That has 582 ft lbs of ME, I ran the numbers, and that is as powerful as a .357 Magnum. That is impressive to me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.40 +P...228298.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	202.2 KB 
ID:	18519
    Last edited by MisterMills357; 03-28-2019 at 03:54 PM.

Sponsored Links