Laser and Flashlights, your ideas?

Laser and Flashlights, your ideas?

This is a discussion on Laser and Flashlights, your ideas? within the Gear Talk forums, part of the The Armory category; Hello I am in the process of researching and shopping for a laser sight, preferably green, and a flashlight for my Glock 22. Main uses ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Laser and Flashlights, your ideas?

Question Laser and Flashlights, your ideas?

Hello

I am in the process of researching and shopping for a laser sight, preferably green, and a flashlight for my Glock 22.

Main uses would be home defense/training and at the range.

I want to be able to use the integral accessory rail.

I shy away from the guide rod laser sight. I like my guide rod, I also hear that the guide rod lasers are short battery life and low durability.

Does anyone here have experience with accessory flashlights and lasers?

I want the green laser for better visibility, especially in day time.

What would you recommend for a flash light, for a laser and why?

Also, for those of you that use these accessories, how do you deal with your holster when you are using accessories?
    Last edited by Dannabis; 05-04-2013 at 11:02 PM.

I prefer a handheld light instead of mounted, to each his/her own.
    Semper Fortis

I use the streamlight tlr-3 light on my g19 and xdm for home defense nice bright and compact I like it but has no laser
    GLOCK 17 GEN 4
    GLOCK 43
    H&K VP9
    Bushmaster AR15

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

ditto Streamlight - they stand behind their products too (we know this first hand)

Surefire X400 is another option but a red lazer, and they also stand behind what the make. I have a E2d LED defender hand light and love it! and am getting a x300 for my g23 and also have the hand light. (I like redundancy!)

don't know anything about lights but have had a few lasers. crimson trace being the best. fits on the grip which does not affect the type of holster you use and it comes on as soon as you grab the gun. they are also adjustable for windage and elevation by you very easily. pricey but real nice

When adding a light make sure you use it properly. that is never point it directly at someone or thing when IDing the subject but use the radiant light that escapes for the sides so you don't point a gun at anyone. Basically your holding the gun downward at a 45 % angle
    NName591 likes this.
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    When adding a light make sure you use it properly. that is never point it directly at someone or thing when IDing the subject but use the radiant light that escapes for the sides so you don't point a gun at anyone. Basically your holding the gun downward at a 45 % angle

Thanks Barstoolguru.

I would never point a gun at a person, flashlight or no flashlight.

The flashlight, aside from possible night practice at a range would be for in the event of a home break-in self defense event.

I'm still just considering my options. The Crimson trace grip laser sounds like a great product.

Kj89, how difficult do you find it to handle both a handheld flashlight and a pistol? Have you done range practice while using them in conjunction?

I've heard of the weaver hand grip for using a separate flashlight and this is currently where I am with a separate flashlight.
    Kel-tec also makes an interesting custom flashlight designed to be held with a pistol.

A stream light or the surefire seem like great ideas. Do you find lumen output to be important? I imagine you want it to be blinding.

A red laser is not out of the question, they seem to be far more common and readily available.

Can any one report on their daytime visibility?
    Last edited by Dannabis; 05-04-2013 at 11:10 PM.

Steamlight has options on duration (you can punch it for quick on/off) or use as a strobe (great for drunks lol). You'd only want to briefly use it for a 1/2 second so the other person can't tell where you are. My husband carries the TLR-1 on his duty weapon and really likes it. It doesn't chew through batteries. We've had great lucky getting batteries at Wal-Mart.

You can quickly take it off the rail too and use as a hand held (without putting your hand in front of the barrel). A nice option it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannabis View Post
    Thanks Barstoolguru.

I would never point a gun at a person, flashlight or no flashlight.

The flashlight, aside from possible night practice at a range would be for in the event of a home break-in self defense event.

I'm still just considering my options. The Crimson trace grip laser sounds like a great product.

Kj89, how difficult do you find it to handle both a handheld flashlight and a pistol? Have you done range practice while using them in conjunction?

I've heard of the weaver hand grip for using a separate flashlight and this is currently where I am with a separate flashlight.
    Kel-tec also makes an interesting custom flashlight designed to be held with a pistol.

A stream light or the surefire seem like great ideas. Do you find lumen output to be important? I imagine you want it to be blinding.

A red laser is not out of the question, they seem to be far more common and readily available.

Can any one report on their daytime visibility?
    Not difficult at all, it also allows you do identify without pointing your firearm at someone. I prefer the modified FBI and Harries techniques. If you decide on a handheld light just be sure to practice with it and be comfortable with a one handed grip. I have the Streamlight ProTac HL it has 600 lumen, a little overkill, but it lights up a whole room.

Here's a couple shooting techniques while using a handheld flashlight.
    barstoolguru likes this.
    Semper Fortis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links