My G43 thread, yeah that guy... Pearson +1s failboat or user error...? hmm

This is a discussion on My G43 thread, yeah that guy... Pearson +1s failboat or user error...? hmm within the Glock Accessories forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; I picked up one Pearce (+0) pinky grip ext when I got the G43, and after putting a case thru her, I love her even ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: My G43 thread, yeah that guy... Pearson +1s failboat or user error...? hmm

I picked up one Pearce (+0) pinky grip ext when I got the G43, and after putting a case thru her, I love her even more. I put the Ghost Edge connector in last night (not sure why anyone would pay a gunsmith for the install, just sayin), and put 200 rounds through her yesterday, and it felt much smoother (zero misfires/chambering issues etc, but I will update if I have even one after the next case). It didn't feel mushy to me at all, but what do I know (first time gun owner). Anyways, I ordered a couple spare magazines and some Pearson (+1) magazine extensions that finally show up, and I noticed the first round is a bit rough to chamber...? I tried it several times on all 4 mags, and I was like.. hmm... perhaps the spring needs some time to relax a bit, or this +1 sucks balls. It's not like it requires He-Man strength to chamber by any stretch, but it was definitely a slower/tougher (definitely noticeable), and if I had to swap mags quickly, I'd prefer a quick 6 than a slow 7. To be fair, I clean my weapon after each trip to the range, and I hadn't cleaned it after 200 today, but my other mags chambered quick, smooth, and easy. So what gives?

Also, I like the Ghost Edge, and would guess it's 1-1.5lbs lighter? My stocker averaged 6.5 after break in (~500rds), but I'll get the ghost measured after a few more trips to the range for a fair comparison. I was also able to make some decent shots at 10 yards today, but perhaps it's all the time I've been putting in at the range. Thankfully I'm not single bc this shooting shit is $$$$ dammit!! wtf

TIA for any input/insights, linkies to STFU -Cheers

EDIT: I've had the Pearce +1s for a few weeks now, and they work flawlessly. They must've just needed some time to relax the springs a bit. ALSO- The Ghost Edge connector has been flawless (didn't polish anything). I've put about 2K rounds through my G43, including 500+ with the Ghost, and my only failure to fire was due to a bootleg Winchester cartridge with a damaged casing.
    Last edited by Taxman; 10-23-2015 at 03:59 AM.
    Underdog likes this.
    -Glock 43
    -Ruger Mini-14 Target
    -Ruger SR22
    -Mossberg 500 Persuader 12 Gauge, 8-shot pump
    -NRA Member

FAIL: So, after 100 rounds or so tonight at the range I had a 'click,' and I'm not sure exactly what happened and would appreciate some input. After 'click' I noticed the slide wasn't 100% in the rearward position (it was maybe 1 or 2mm forward). So, I ejected the magazine and carefully unchambered the round in the chamber to inspect it, and part of the (Winchester FMJ 115g) was damaged. There was a little triangular chunk missing from the jacket. I must have tossed it later, bc I don't have it now, but I crudely drew in marker the approx size of the missing piece on one in the attached pic. My first thought was it happened when the round chambered, and I was worried about a barrel obstruction. A field strip with an LED flashlight, and the barrel was clear, so no problem there. I went through another 100 rounds without incident. I'm not sure if the round was damaged to begin with, and failed to chamber properly, or if while shooting, the chambering of the next round somehow sheared off part of the FMJ? There was no indentation on the round from the firing pin. Also, although I was using the Pearson +1s, I was only using 6 rounds in this particular magazine. I'm don't limp wrist, so I pretty sure that wasn't the issue. Finally, could this just have been a faulty round that didn't chamber properly?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	misfire.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	7258

I also had my Snake Eyes installed earlier today, and I'm digging them, but they are very different than the OEM sights, and I've only used them for 200rds. I'm left eye dominant, so I'm used to closing my right, and made some good shots tonight that way. I also was able to use both eyes with the Snake Eyes, and although I made some great shots that way, it was 'unnatural' as I've been closing righty for a case of ammo now. By 'unnatural' I mean I had to really think about using both eyes together with these sights instead of closing one, but I want to learn to shoot with both all the time.

In before 'don't modify your glock dipshit!' lol

EDIT: Issue w/ loading pic of where fmj was damaged... uploaded
    Last edited by Taxman; 10-04-2015 at 01:56 AM.
    -Glock 43
    -Ruger Mini-14 Target
    -Ruger SR22
    -NRA Member

I tried it several times on all 4 mags, and I was like.. hmm... perhaps the spring needs some time to relax a bit, or this +1 sucks balls. It's not like it requires He-Man strength to chamber by any stretch
    yes, new springs need time to relax a bit. this is a common problem with new mags and over sized springs. load them up and let them sit for 3 weeks or so fully loaded and the spring will relax a bit
    Taxman likes this.
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

I'd never say "Don't modify your Glock." I would say, "If you modify your Glock, don't expect it to always work."
    RevDerb and Taxman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Win231 View Post
    I'd never say "Don't modify your Glock." I would say, "If you modify your Glock, don't expect it to always work."
    that is true in a very small respect..... changing the connector and trigger spring hardly serious modifications
    Taxman likes this.
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

Senior Member NunquamNonParatus's Avatar
    I have the Pearce +2 or +3 mag extensions on several mags. (not G43.) I could only go +1 with the .40, and +2 with the 9's. It takes 200rds for the spring to ease up according to the nice lady at Pearce. I couldn't load them to full capacity for a while. Another way of aiding it was to put the extension in hot water to soften or anneal it. I have a thread somewhere here about my experience. Mine load fine now.

Another way to break in the spring is to watch TV an load and unload your mags.

Is it Pearce or Pearson? Pearce makes a quality product. Never heard of Pearson.
    Taxman likes this.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk out your ass and remove all doubt." A. Lincoln (sort of.)
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It seems to me a certainty that the fatalistic teachings of Mohammed and the utter degradation of the Arab women are the outstanding causes for the arrested development of the Arab. He is exactly as he was around the year 700, while we have been developing." George S. Patton

President/executive director of the NQNP STFU awards foundation.

Senior Member NunquamNonParatus's Avatar
    I cannot see the problem with the round on my monitor. Are you talking about the rim of the shell casing? If so I have many different jams in my day for various reasons. I have never seen a shell casing torn. It may be a factory defect.

BTW what is a link to a STFU?

When I had a CLICK and the slide would not feed another bullet. It was what they call a "SQUIB"
    This is where only the primer fired and no powder in the cartridge.
    The bullet head stuck in the barrel and the next round was stopped from seating because of the obstruction.(BULLET HEAD)
    Once the barrel was cleared, The gun fired perfectly.

I sure hope you look down the barrel to see if it is clear
    Ronnie
    Taxman likes this.
    U.S. Army --- D.A.V. --- N.R.A.--- American Legion --- Florida carry
    If your "NOT" a member of the N.R.A. - It is time for you to sign up.
    We need to turn 5 million members into 15 or 20 million members

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
    When [B]I had a CLICK and the slide would not feed another bullet. It was what they call a "SQUIB"[/B]
    The bullet head stuck in the barrel and the next round was stopped from seating because of the obstruction.(BULLET HEAD)

Ronnie
    its called hangfire (slow burning primer) a SQUIB is a round that is propelled into the barrel but doesn't have the velocity to exit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squib_load
    any time you hear a click most people make the mistake of ejecting the round and this can cause an explosion because the round can still go off, it could be a delay in the primer-hangfire
    Last edited by barstoolguru; 10-04-2015 at 03:20 PM.
    Taxman likes this.

Thank you for all the input! I loaded all the new mags last night, and will leave them to relax a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by NunquamNonParatus View Post
    Is it Pearce or Pearson? Pearce makes a quality product. Never heard of Pearson.
    I meant Pearce, typo corrected, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by NunquamNonParatus View Post
    I cannot see the problem with the round on my monitor. Are you talking about the rim of the shell casing? If so I have many different jams in my day for various reasons. I have never seen a shell casing torn. It may be a factory defect. BTW what is a link to a STFU?
    Yes, at the top where the bullet meets the casing, there was a elongated wedge missing (as in black marker in the pic above that's hard to see, lol). I could not tell if that happened in the weapon, or was a factory defect. It did not look shred or anything, and in case I failed to mention it, the primer was not struck. I need to study the mechanics some more, as I'm guessing the chambered round would be too forward for the firing pin to strike it with the slide not fully racked, but I'll check out some diagrams and videos. Oh, I meant a link to another thread that dealt with the same issue so I could read up, thus shutting me up

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
    When I had a CLICK and the slide would not feed another bullet. It was what they call a "SQUIB"

Ronnie
    As described in 2nd post down, yessir, and thanks for the info Ronnie!

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    its called hangfire (slow burning primer) a SQUIB is a round that is propelled into the barrel but doesn't have the velocity to exit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squib_load
    any time you hear a click most people make the mistake of ejecting the round and this can cause an explosion because the round can still go off, it could be a delay in the primer-hangfire
    I had read in the manual to keep the gun pointing downrange for 30 sec after a 'click' in case of a slow-burning primer/hangfire. Thank you for the clarification & link Barstoolguru!
    -Glock 43
    -Ruger Mini-14 Target
    -Ruger SR22
    -NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links