Duty Holster

Duty Holster

This is a discussion on Duty Holster within the Glock Accessories forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; Planning on getting a Gen 3 Glock 17 and am looking for a good duty holster for work. Was recommended a ThumbDrive holster but I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duty Holster

Duty Holster

Planning on getting a Gen 3 Glock 17 and am looking for a good duty holster for work.

Was recommended a ThumbDrive holster but I am wondering if anyone has any experience with any others?
    Last edited by mullemonster; 01-13-2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: error
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Glock 17 Gen 3

I personally like the M6 Auto Lock holster by Galco for the Glock. It does have a thumb release but it is between the gun and your body so it feels a bit more "natural" when you are getting a grip on your pistol in the holster. Other thumb breaks with the snap strap require you to work through the straps once the snap is broken. They also make a "pull off" retention holster that usually consists of a bungee cord or rubber strap that can be "ripped" out of the way and will not hinder you getting a solid grip on your pistol. Then of course there is the Serpa Level 2 with the trigger finger release. You might hear some varied responses on that one but IMO it leaves gun open to get a solid grip and the release is in that safety finger forward position that most shooters are used to so it's not a very big deal to me.

Just wanted to say Welcome to the Forum ! I am not a LEO, therefore only carry CCW.

Only a Biker knows why a Dog hangs his head out the window.

G29SF, G20SF, G30SF, G36, G21SF RTF2, G32 GEN 4, G33, G19

NRA Life Member.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

welcome aboard...

Glock softly and leave your big stick at home...
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rowabi

thank you for the response. i will probably be going with some kind of thumb release. found one from safariland that looks good and its a little over $40
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Glock 17 Gen 3

I too am looking for a thumb break carry holster for a 17. I learned on a leather one with a hard plastic hood that rocked forward as you pushed the thumb break down but I never got the make or model. I want to find something similar, but if not the serpa feels pretty good as long as I can find one without a padle.

I use a Safariland double retention holster.. 95% of my gear is Safariland.
    LEO - GSSF Member - GLOCK Certified Armorer
    G17, G21, G22, G27

Quote Originally Posted by Sheeran View Post
    I too am looking for a thumb break carry holster for a 17. I learned on a leather one with a hard plastic hood that rocked forward as you pushed the thumb break down but I never got the make or model. I want to find something similar, but if not the serpa feels pretty good as long as I can find one without a padle.
    If I recall correctly, the one you are referring to is made by Safariland.

I'm not a big fan of the Serpa. There have been numerous complaints because you have to use your trigger finger near the trigger as you draw. The most secure holster I've used is the Safariland SSIII. You have to use both the thumb and middle finger to unsnap and then rock to the rear as you draw. Sounds difficult, but with practice it can be drawn quickly.

My experience is Safariland and Bianchi make the best quality duty holsters.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified
    Pistol Instructor
    Rifle Instructor
    Shotgun Instructor
    Range Safety Officer
    Glock Armorer

Have you considered a stock Glock duty holster? The LEO price is only 15.00...I have never seen a review of one or the sport/combat model but fifteen bucks is cheep enough. I plan on getting one for my 35 and 23 along with a few mag holders and a field knife.If you want to get a LEO price list just ask Glock and they will email you one.I have wanted to try one of the military drop leg or hanger types..

Have you thought of using Blackhawk's Serpa holster? I wanted use a Blackhawk Serpa holster during my days of pistol competitions. I decided make my own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links