Trouble at the range today.

Trouble at the range today.

This is a discussion on Trouble at the range today. within the Glock Range Reports forums, part of the Glock Information category; So I (23) took my little brother (20) to the local public range to break in my new gun some and to let him shoot ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Trouble at the range today.

Angry Trouble at the range today.

So I (23) took my little brother (20) to the local public range to break in my new gun some and to let him shoot a glock, he hasn't shot a handgun before. Well, the range was packed, but that wasn't a problem. It was mostly "family" shooting from what I could see: three couples, a family with two young teens, a dad with his son, and my brother and I. Since none of us had a problem with it and there were kids there, everyone was moving up to shoot 7-10 yards and used the 25 yard position stands to come back for reloads. We all were taking turns, no one was running back and forth. It was going good til one prick decided to go on a rant because he wanted to use his toys at 25 yards. So he went off telling people they're going to end up getting shot walking up like that and on and on saying they need to check if its clear (there's already some shooting at 7-10 yards). No one was shooting at 25 yards, we just used it to reload!!! So after his rant he decides to pick up his uzi with a full extended mag, cigarette in hand and mockingly asks if its clear and proceeds to spray down range (there's a 6 round mag max for the range because people would just load up and destroy the backstops instead of using the range properly and concentrate on their accuracy). I don't think he even hit the target, just did that to be a prick. Once that happened the parents rounded up their kids and decided that was enough for today and left, which I felt bad because they weren't bothering anyone. The range cleared out once he began his shenanigans. I was hoping for a game commissioner to be there and smack him upside the head.

Another thing that annoys me is people walking up with shotguns and destroying the backstops, but that's a whole different thread. Anyone else have any problems at their local ranges?
    Last edited by Kj89; 03-10-2013 at 08:02 PM.
    Semper Fortis

far enough from Asheville, NC to be normal
    only trouble I've had at my public range is litterbugs.
    Gen 3 G26
    Gen 4 G27 FDE
    Gen 3 G29

Oh and my G23 shot perfectly
    NName591 likes this.
    Semper Fortis

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

you should have got his LIC plate and reported him to the police
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

I'm confused. Is your range just some kind of open field or something? No range safety officers or anything? If that is true I would find a new range. I would not be willing to trust my safety or the safety of my family to a place where any Rambo-wannabe can start spraying 9mm around for fun.

I wasn't able to get his license plate number because there were still a lot of cars when we left and he was still on the range.

The range is an outdoor range run by the PA game commission (requires a range permit or hunting license to use or you're fined if caught), but none of them were around and usually aren't, they only drop in from time to time. I'm probably going to contact them about the incident to at least see if they make their presence more known. This was the only time I've had any problems at the range. This is what the range looks like, I took it the other day when no one else was there. There's a separate range on the left (out of frame) for rifles.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	range1.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	128.9 KB 
ID:	1429

*UPDATE* I went ahead and emailed the game commission about the incident.
    Last edited by Kj89; 03-11-2013 at 05:43 AM.
    Semper Fortis

In my opinion, outdoor ranges will be a problem without a Range Officer present and that is why I usually go to an indoor range. At the outdoor range I do use once in awhile, on the 25 yard range there are target stands forward and set up at about 7 yards on moveable wooden stands. I havent been there in at least a year but that is the way it was sit upon my last visit. All shooting is done from inback of the counter at the firing line. The problem I usually run into is people handling their weapons, loading or inspecting while others are down range. There is usually one in every crowd.
    If I were you I would use another range if one is available in your area, one with a Range Officer present.

Last edited by texcowboy; 03-11-2013 at 08:41 AM.
    Only a Biker knows why a Dog hangs his head out the window.

G29SF, G20SF, G30SF, G36, G21SF RTF2, G32 GEN 4, G33, G19

NRA Life Member.

when it’s a public range like that it is self-regulated and can be a hazardous place. Most of the time people are polite and then come along and [email protected]@hat. All you can do is get a lic plate and report them for unsafe handling of a gun and maybe press charges like reckless endangerment. For sure I would always keep on gun loaded and concealed just in case
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

I have never even heard of an unattended public range. Sounds kind of scary, as confirmed by your original post. Around here we have indoor and outdoor gun clubs that require memberships to use their ranges. There are strict rules to be followed as well as range officers on duty at all times. Membership is NOT expensive and the range officers are almost all trained volunteers (and sometime off duty LEO's). Other than that you have to find someone who owns land, go out to an LEO range or pay to use one of the indoor ranges attached to various gun shops.

Quote Originally Posted by mlk18 View Post
    I have never even heard of an unattended public range. Sounds kind of scary, as confirmed by your original post. Around here we have indoor and outdoor gun clubs that require memberships to use their ranges. There are strict rules to be followed as well as range officers on duty at all times. Membership is NOT expensive and the range officers are almost all trained volunteers (and sometime off duty LEO's). Other than that you have to find someone who owns land, go out to an LEO range or pay to use one of the indoor ranges attached to various gun shops.
    They're out there......sad that an idiot like that can ruin it for safety-minded folks...especially when they may not have any other places to go...

Glock softly and leave your big stick at home...
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rowabi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links