Question about Glock 19.

Question about Glock 19.

This is a discussion on Question about Glock 19. within the Glock Talk and Discussion forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; Hi Everyone, I carry a Glock 19 and noticed yesterday that the slide (i think it's the slide) is scratching the ammo. The scratches are ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cedarhill

Thread: Question about Glock 19.

Question about Glock 19.

Hi Everyone,

I carry a Glock 19 and noticed yesterday that the slide (i think it's the slide) is scratching the ammo. The scratches are occurring at the 12 oclock position. Is this normal? Is it something I should be worried about? I disassembled the gun and everything looks smooth (no burs or anything). The rounds cycle just fine.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/15888139952/

Any thoughts?

No idea. Extractor maybe when the slide comes forward.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

Interesting. I have a new Gen 4 G19 and haven't seen any scratching. Probably put about 600 rounds through it so far with no issues. Maybe try slowly cycling some snap caps through yours to see if you can identify where the scratch is originating.

NRA
    Living In Occupied USA Glock Certified Armorer
    This rail on the bottom of the slide, rests on the next round, when the slide is in battery, and slides across the next round with the weight of the magazine spring pushing the round against it. If this rail, is smooth, look for a magazine problem. Try trading magazines and see what that does. It goes without saying, you are cycling live rounds through a hot pistol, be very careful. If it were me, in your shoes, I would seek a Glock Armorer and let them handle it.

(My EDC has some IWB dust bunnies

My awaiting round shows some slide wear.

Last edited by NRA; 11-27-2014 at 03:38 PM.

I think it is time to clean the pistol.
    David2014 likes this.

so let me get this right: you have a scratch on the brass of a round? you have a brass case coming out of a steel lipped mag being forced into a steel barrel with a steal slide and it scratched the brass on a round! if that is all you have to worry about your having a good day
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

Based on the picture, it looks like the scratch is on the actual bullet, not just the brass.

Basically I agree with "barstoolguru", still check the mag first, keep your gun clean, then ask a serious armourer.
    Avoidance, awareness, preparedness, get eye contact and learn to profile.
    Learning is impossible without humility.

I agree with the others in saying you definitely need to clean your gun. I can shoot hundreds of rounds though my Glocks and they will still look clean and new except for a small amount of powder burn. The photo makes your look like it has been in a tackle box for a year or two.

As for the ammo scratching issue. Take a black sharpie. Make a small black dot on the side of some new brass and then load it into your magazine so the dot is facing up. Then cycle all the rounds by jacking them out the slide by hand. This will give you the exact location of the scratches in comparison to your weapon. If you were shooting a KelTec... I'd think the problem was with the end of the feed ramp scraping the bullet.

Are you shooting reloads?
    You can't blame people for wanting to protect themselves, as they see the reality of law enforcement: that law is enforced only after the law shows up. That can be a problem if you're already dead.” Greg Gutfeld / Fox News

Sponsored Links