Unlearning to shoot well

Unlearning to shoot well

This is a discussion on Unlearning to shoot well within the Glock Talk and Discussion forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; I have been having an issue of shooting left with nearly ALL of my Glock pistols. The only exception to this rule seemed to be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Unlearning to shoot well

Unlearning to shoot well

I have been having an issue of shooting left with nearly ALL of my Glock pistols. The only exception to this rule seemed to be my G29 which shot pretty well dead on. It has been bothering me so I have been trying to figure out what is causing my problem. I purchased two of the Crimson Trace DS121 laser sights used for $45 because I was hoping they would provide some insight in to what I am doing and what is causing me to shoot to the left.

I will start out by saying that for the past 15 years or so I have mostly carried 1911 style 45 autos. In that time I came accustomed to using only the pad of my finger for trigger pull and was very accurate with this style of shooting. I installed one of the lasers on my Glock 19 and began dry fire practice. Using the pad of my finger, I noticed that on every trigger pull the laser moved 3-4" to the left which is roughly where I am shooting with live ammo. I choked up a bit on my grip and moved my finger to the first joint crease of my tigger finger and dry fired again. The laser dot stayed on target and did not move. It appears that for what ever reason, I am not able to use the pad of my trigger finger to fire the Glock pistols. This is the way I was taught to shoot and have shot every handgun I have ever owned this way and have never had this issue. Is there something about the Glock that makes it fire better with an improper grip/trigger pull? Does anyone else shoot this way. I will say that pulling the trigger with the joint/crease of my finger feels much more natural but after shooting with the pad of my finger for 15 years it will take some getting used to.

I have yet to test this shooting style at the range with live ammo but if the laser sight's movement is any indication of what I am doing, I believe my problem will be solved with live ammo. I would be curious to hear how some of you guys shoot. Do you use the pad of your finger or the joint? Do any of you have issues with shooting left (or right for left handers)?
    G17 Gen 4 USA
    G19 Gen 4 Austria
    G20 Gen 4 Austria
    G21sf Gen 3
    G22 Gen 3
    G23 Gen 4 Austria
    G26 Gen 4 Austria
    G27 Gen 4 Austria
    G29 Gen 3
    G30 Gen 3
    G41 Gen 4 Austria
    G42 Gen 4 USA

I spent ALOT of time working on this myself. The reason putting the trigger in the first crease of your finger helps is it allows you to more easily pull the trigger straight back. I know that sounds silly to some... like there is any other way to pull a trigger back other then straight, but there is. You can learn to pull it straight to the rear with the middle of the pad but it takes some practice. Putting it in the crease just makes it alot easier. Also, try expierementing with your grip pressure and see how that effects you.
    Swampfox762 likes this.
    If you have to tell everyone how _______ you are, your probably not that _______

It just seems odd. It is fundamentally against everything I was ever taught about firing a gun accurately lol. Every other pistol I have ever owned shot well with the pad of my finger and no noticeable side to side movement. I just don't understand exactly what it is about the Glock that is different.

I think I may head to the range in a bit just to test my findings with live fire.
    G17 Gen 4 USA
    G19 Gen 4 Austria
    G20 Gen 4 Austria
    G21sf Gen 3
    G22 Gen 3
    G23 Gen 4 Austria
    G26 Gen 4 Austria
    G27 Gen 4 Austria
    G29 Gen 3
    G30 Gen 3
    G41 Gen 4 Austria
    G42 Gen 4 USA

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper308 View Post
    It just seems odd. It is fundamentally against everything I was ever taught about firing a gun accurately lol. Every other pistol I have ever owned shot well with the pad of my finger and no noticeable side to side movement. I just don't understand exactly what it is about the Glock that is different.

I think I may head to the range in a bit just to test my findings with live fire.
    The correct way is with middle of the pad of your finger. Tour not pulling the trigger back correctly. Putting it in the crease of your finger is a band aid instead of correcting your technique.
    If you have to tell everyone how _______ you are, your probably not that _______

Hickok 45 uses the crease of his finger says he always has. Most likely it's because he has the hands of a giant. LOL
    Keep your loved ones close and your firearms closer
    Glock 23 Gen 3 exo
    Glock 26 Gen 3
    Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by OHshooter View Post
    I spent ALOT of time working on this myself. The reason putting the trigger in the first crease of your finger helps is it allows you to more easily pull the trigger straight back. I know that sounds silly to some... like there is any other way to pull a trigger back other then straight, but there is. You can learn to pull it straight to the rear with the middle of the pad but it takes some practice. Putting it in the crease just makes it alot easier. Also, try expierementing with your grip pressure and see how that effects you.

I actually thought I was wrong shooting like that. With the trigger in the crease of my trigger finger. I believe they call that a "Strong Trigger pull". My hands are big. If I were to put my trigger finger pad on the trigger...my finger would be sticking out from the gun about 1/2 inch at least.

I noticed on one of Purple Mountains vids, that he appears to shoot with his finger Pad on the trigger. Anyway...I shoot like you Shooter. Strong Trigger pull.

Here's some interesting picts.

https://www.google.com/search?q=stro...2F%3B877%3B536

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    "The beauty of the second amendment is, it will not be needed until they try to take it".

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Daily to give free food to animals in shelters and rescue's.

Two comments... As you now know, Glocks are way lighter than your 1911 so it doesn't take much with either hand to move them around and get you off target when squeezing the trigger (compared to the heavy 1911). Also, I'm not exactly sure this was 100% the reason for me...but when I added the medium beavertail backstrap on my G17 Gen 4 I think it actually brought my trigger finger into a better position, which seemed to tighten up my pattern to the center of my target. A firm grip and wrist angle of your left hand (assuming you are right handed) also helps when I miss a little left. My .02

NRA
    Living In Occupied USA Glock Certified Armorer
    I know what may be your issue, no safety lever to lay your right thumb on. 1911 shooters, may improve their accuracy on Glock pistols, buy adding a dummy safety / thumb rest. This thumb rest will also reduce muzzle flip.
    Sold by Glock Store, and on Amazon & eBay.

Last edited by NRA; 01-04-2015 at 10:57 PM.

NRA
    Living In Occupied USA Glock Certified Armorer
    Glock thumb rest | eBay

Amazon.com: Glock thumb rest
    These come in two styles. One that says below the slide, and one that goes somewhat above the slide. The above the slide version, gets in the way of racking the slide, and should not be used on a duty weapon, only on a range.
    I cut off the extractor side thumb support, as it got in the way. I only have a low version, and just on one pistol, a G34. I love it. Really helps students to see where both thumbs should go.

The indent on the frame, is not for the shooting hand thumb, oddly enough. Sure looks like it would be. It is however for the base of the support hand thumb, a joint called the MCP Joint.

Last edited by NRA; 01-04-2015 at 10:59 PM.

NRA, That is an interesting little part. I did not know there was a safety lever add on for Glock pistols. While it is true that as a 1911 shooter I did use the safety lever as a resting point, I am trying to break away from all of those old habits. I have converted ALL of my handguns to Glocks and I now must learn to shoot them well. While I believe that my accuracy needs improvement, I do not believe it is the pistols fault. I think I just have several years of "unlearning" to do. I feel that if I am ever to be 100% proficient in a defensive situation with these Glock pistols that I must learn to do it on my own and through muscle/movement memory. Any reliance on a aftermarket part or gimmick could be disastrous in a life or death situation.

On another point, I have to admit that I did always think the cutout on the grip was for your shooting thumb. Hmmm. I guess I have been doing it wrong all along lol.
    G17 Gen 4 USA
    G19 Gen 4 Austria
    G20 Gen 4 Austria
    G21sf Gen 3
    G22 Gen 3
    G23 Gen 4 Austria
    G26 Gen 4 Austria
    G27 Gen 4 Austria
    G29 Gen 3
    G30 Gen 3
    G41 Gen 4 Austria
    G42 Gen 4 USA