Glock Forum banner

... and the back plate is PLASTIC??

11K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  RMD 
#1 ·
I was really surprised to learn the back plate of the slider (don't know the precise name of the doo dad) is actually made of plastic. I discovered this while perusing a site that sells various after-market items for our Glock guns. They sell personalized back plates with various engraving on them. Their plates are aluminum, which they advertise as being much stronger than the stock plastic back plate. I guess my question is... does that back plate take any pressure or any sort of abuse, or is it just there to keep dust out of the slide? Should I be planning to replace that part with something made of something harder than plastic?

Considering the reputation of these weapons, I can't imagine there being any criticality to this piece... but I'd sure like to know the opinions of some guys who have been there, done that. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated...

#2 ·
In my opinion, Glocks are great as is from the factory. However, some like to personalize them. Most of us I feel safe in saying have the OEM back plate on the slide and no problem at all.

All that I do to my Glocks is to have a 3.5 # connector put in to improve the trigger and install either night sights, fiber optic/night sights or fiber optic front sight. Oh, and for some reason that is probably just for looks I use the grip plugs to cover up the space left vacant in the butt of the weapon.

#5 ·
You don't have any worries of the stock back plate failing. As far as I know there has never been a failure in the history of Glock and it's on of the most popular weapons in the market. My suggestion is if you are going custom with laser engraving the go with the billit aluminum as it will hold the laser engraving better.

#7 ·
Randy, I guess peace of mind is the issue here concerning the back plate. I have had no problems with mine and cant remember seeing on a forum where one broke. But, if it makes your feel better to replace it then that is what works best for you. Besides you can get some really neat ones with different things embossed on them.

Another thing that some people replace is the plastic guide rod with a titanium or stainless one . Again, I have had no problems and in a 1000 round continuis test I saw on you-tube one did fail because of the extreme heat occuring because of the high count continuis firing. Actually I believe they said it melted, thing is the gun did not quit, it just kept going.

Glocks are extemely tough I would not worry about anything failing. Go to you-tube and search for 'Glock torture tests'.. You will amazed. Dropped from planes, frozen, covered in mud, left in water, etc. They take a licking and keep on ticking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.