New 23 gen 4 - slide discoloration question

This is a discussion on New 23 gen 4 - slide discoloration question within the Glock Talk and Discussion forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; Hi, I bought today my first glock, it is a 23 gen 4. While at the shop waiting for all the paper work I noticed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi,

I bought today my first glock, it is a 23 gen 4. While at the shop waiting for all the paper work I noticed that part of the slide where you pull back to load a round, wasn't dark black as the rest of the slide, but a lighter color. I pointed it out to the guy at the gunshop and asked if that was a defect, but he said oh no, I'll clean it up. He took a rag wiped it down and it seemed to look better, so I figured it just needed oil.

Today at night I was going over the pistol and noticed that where ever I put my fingers, or rub the oil off the color goes from dark black to again something lighter. I took a cotton shirt and rubbed other parts of the slide and sure enough the color goes from dark to a lighter one almost copperish looking but not quite.

Question, do I have the only slide in the world that does this, or is this a glock thing and since I'm new I'm worrying about nothing? I have had pistols before but the blue of the gun never changed color, most of my other pistols have traditional steel slides.

Any input will be appreciated!

yeah My GEN4 23 does that same thing not to worry about it, wont do no harm....
    CARRY ALWAYS NEVER TELL.... Carry Always Never Tell....Are you carrying now? I CAN'T.

This is just speculation, based on NO knowledge, since I am here discussing my first Glock quandary myself. I had my used 23 Gen3 and my Beretta 9000S on the range yesterday. Fired the same ammo through both, and about the same amount.

The Glock barrel cleaned up like a dream - three-four patches with Hoppes and Blue Wonder (??) and I was done. It took maybe twice as many swabs, along with some brass brush work, to get the Beretta barrel cleaned.

I wonder then if the Glock barrel doesn't have some type of treatment on it to help with cleaning and resist fouling????? And could this treatment then result in the "discoloration" when touched?

No idea...just wondering.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

I am not aware of any special treatment done to the inside of Glock barrels. Its just the way the lands and grooves are cut. The question about the slide discoloration is more of an appearance thing rather than a defect. Just had all of mine out of the safe and each slide lightened up a little when I touched with my fingers and returned to darker black when wiped down with a towel. Have think the oils in the skin tend to react with the slide finish differently from person to person.
    Firearms Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by glockanista View Post
    I am not aware of any special treatment done to the inside of Glock barrels. Its just the way the lands and grooves are cut. The question about the slide discoloration is more of an appearance thing rather than a defect. Just had all of mine out of the safe and each slide lightened up a little when I touched with my fingers and returned to darker black when wiped down with a towel. Have think the oils in the skin tend to react with the slide finish differently from person to person.
    What he said.

WLR
    It's the tenifer finishing process. It's a matte finish that's essentially bonded into the steel, and actually extends into the slide itself(not much, maybe a quarter of a milimeter). It resists saltwater corrosion, making Glocks very favorable for inside waistband carry. Sweat won't damage the finish. When someone of the oil or silicone comes off the slide the color lightens a bit. Happens to me whenever my pistol comes out of the holster for the night. Nothing to worry about, it won't negatively affect the hardness of the steel. The slide has a hardness rating of 64, and a diamond is rated at 70. Pretty sturdy steel.

Don't think it's a problem

I have never found any rust on any of the Glocks I have carried even well back in the 90's crawling through the woods. Now with the tenifer I don't think they ever will rust

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've never had a rust issue, either...not with a Glock

I just bought my G23 gen 4 and will look tonight and see if mine does this
    G23 Gen4

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    ~George Mason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links