Feedback on ProTec Laser/Light Combo

This is a discussion on Feedback on ProTec Laser/Light Combo within the Glock Talk and Discussion forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; Hello, I just purchased my first Glock, a Glock 19, and am looking for feedback on a laser/light product. I am on Day 2 of ...

Hello,

I just purchased my first Glock, a Glock 19, and am looking for feedback on a laser/light product. I am on Day 2 of my 10 day holding period in California and happened to be in a Big5 Sporting Goods store. I found they were running a sale on a ProTec Elite HP190LS. It was reduced from $100 down to $60. I bought it without doing any research, knowing that it is very hard to find any accessories for Glocks in stock in California.

The specs look really good, 190 lumens and a red laser. I want a laser pointer to help me get better with visual sighting at the range. I will be using this Glock for self defense and thought a laser/light combo can only help. $60 almost sounds too cheap to be true. Is this any good or is it something that is flimsy that will either break or lose alignment easily?

Someone else recently posted a similar question for a different model. They pointed out several green laser only solutions on Ebay for about the same price as what I bought. I have worked with red and green laser pointers and know that green lasers are much easier for me to see.

Star Zombie Stryke Compact Green Laser Sight for Picatinny Weaver Rail | eBay

Nebo Protec Tactical Firearm Green Laser Sight 5580 Fits Picatinny Weaver Rail | eBay

Should I keep what I bought or go a different route? What about red vs green laser? I wonder if a light will only give the bad guy a good read on where I am.

Thanks for any advice.
    Chip

190 lumens and a red laser
    190 lumens is not very much but in a home situation it will work. we have discussed the faults on having a light on a gun in the respect that you have to point the gun at someone to ID them. The price difference in a good laser and a cheap(er) one is their ability to handle recoil of the firearm and how they hold zero. Cheap laser don't have touch activated pads so when you grab the gun you have to think about turning it on and in a pinch when you need it and you are right they will give away your position
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

Give it a try and see if you like it. I prefer a handheld light and dont like lasers but that is just what I like and may not pertain to you. If you dont like it you could either return it or sell it on E Bay.

Only a Biker knows why a Dog hangs his head out the window.

G29SF, G20SF, G30SF, G36, G21SF RTF2, G32 GEN 4, G33, G19

NRA Life Member.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    we have discussed the faults on having a light on a gun in the respect that you have to point the gun at someone to ID them. The price difference in a good laser and a cheap(er) one is their ability to handle recoil of the firearm and how they hold zero. Cheap laser don't have touch activated pads so when you grab the gun you have to think about turning it on and in a pinch when you need it and you are right they will give away your position
    Wow, I never even thought of your point about the risks of using the light to point a loaded gun at a "friendly" . I agree 100% with you point and what texcowboy says. I am returning the unit in favor of a separate flashlight. I would like to have a laser only pointer for training in the range and just in case I need it in real life. Can you recommend a good laser that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Not sure where to start, a good laser is going to cost you at least 150 bucks for a hand (grip activated) laser like crimson trace. EBay sells a 20 dollar laser if you just want to try one out but what you’re going to find is that they are going to break your confidence. They are going to show you how shaky your hand is and every time the red dot is on the make and you pull the trigger wow much you move

here is a cheap red dot just to play with at the range 20.00 +free shipping
    Mini Red Dot Sight Red Laser Fit for Gun Pistol GLOCK17 19 20 21 22 23 30 31 32 | eBay
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

just for the record this is the one I have and like and I will tell you why; it slips on and off with a quick release tab. you can use it as a flash light and when you think the threat is real and want two hands on the gun you just slide it on and lock it into place its under 30 dollars total and the co has great service and warranty

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21k7MEFdQaL.jpg 
Views:	2171 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	1269

Amazon.com: NcStar Pistol and Rifle Led Flashlight/Quick Release Weaver (AQPTF): Sports & Outdoors

Hi,

Thanks again for your guidance. I wanted to let you know what I decided to do. I am returning the ProTec Elite HP190LS because I do not want a light that requires I point a loaded gun at the target. I will look for a handheld tactical light that I will keep in my gun safe. I did decide I wanted to get a laser to use at the range (yes I suspect it will show me I have a lot to learn about holding the gun steady while shooting). I also wanted a decent one that will not lose its alignment and is easy to turn on and off. As much as I would like a green laser, the extra cost is hard to justify. I decided to buy a Crimson Trace DS-121. I like the fact that CT is a well known manufacturer of quality lasers and the features seemed like a good fit. I found one online from Cabela's for $99 plus $12 shipping. It should arrive in about a week. In the meantime I will be picking up my G19 on Tuesday. Can't wait!!!

There are deals to be had, but you are probably exercising good judgement here in investing in a reputable name/quality product...generally, you get what you pay for...

Glock softly and leave your big stick at home...
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rowabi

Thanks again for your guidance. I wanted to let you know what I decided to do
    looking foward to a range report...good luck

Sponsored Links