Looking for Advice on Safe for New G19

This is a discussion on Looking for Advice on Safe for New G19 within the Glock Talk and Discussion forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; Hello, I am looking for advice on selecting a gun safe for my new Glock 19. I am on Day 4 of my 10 day ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Looking for Advice on Safe for New G19

Hello,

I am looking for advice on selecting a gun safe for my new Glock 19. I am on Day 4 of my 10 day holding period, so I do not have the firearm yet. The main purpose of the G19 is for home defense. As such, I think it needs to be stored in the master bedroom in an easily accessible, but secure way.

My wife is not happy with the idea of having a gun in the house. (She forgot that I also have my father's old S&W 38 Special). In addition to the G19, I would like to store 3 or 4 loaded magazines (10 rounds each is the CA limit) and 1-4 boxes of ammo. Most of the ammo is meant for practice at the range. I am not planning for a massive shootout in my home.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to store the gun? I also have two teenagers at home. I am thinking of the following BARSKA Biometric Safe:

Amazon.com: BARSKA Biometric Safe: Sports & Outdoors

Assuming it is solidly built, I like that I can set it up to only open to my fingerprint. There is no way my wife would ever use a gun in self defense. So if the safe only opens for me, great. I would probably mount it to a stud in my closet wall. I know it would be best to be bedside, but my wife would never agree to having it out in the open like that.

Does anyone have any personal experience with this one? Can you recommend a better product? I am OK with spending up to $250 for a quality product that will 1) safely store my gun/ammo and 2) be reliable and easy to open for me.

FYI, I have seen this GunVault product at several shows. It is much less costly, but I prefer to stay away from a combo lock.

Amazon.com: Gunvault MV500-STD Microvault Pistol Gun Safe: Home Improvement

Thanks!
    Chip

I don't know anything about safes but I do know about anti-gun woman and you need to break that stigma she has. Buy a 22 and take her to the range and teach her. You don't fear something you understand

and this safe will be quicker

Amazon.com: Gunvault GVB1000 Mini Vault Biometric Gun Safe: Home Improvement
    Last edited by barstoolguru; 02-20-2013 at 09:10 AM. Reason: typo
    slickrocktom likes this.
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

lel
    Fort Knox pistol safe. You'll should be able to fit pistol, mags & a couple of boxes of ammo. Not cheap, but great safe.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lel View Post
    Fort Knox pistol safe. You'll should be able to fit pistol, mags & a couple of boxes of ammo. Not cheap, but great safe.
    Thanks for the suggestion. At first I thought you were joking with a name like Fort Knox. Then I did a quick search. Then I checked Amazon and Dean Safe - both were out of stock. Dean Safe had this message in bold red: We are out of stock on this item. Due to extraordinary demand, Fort Knox is heavily back ordered and cant tell us when it will ship. Based on this I may need to find an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I don't know anything about safes but I do know about anti-gun woman and you need to break that stigma she has. Buy a 22 and take her to the range and teach her. You don't fear something you understand

and this safe will be quicker

Amazon.com: Gunvault GVB1000 Mini Vault Biometric Gun Safe: Home Improvement
    Thanks for replying. I do agree that I will need to get my wife to the range at some point so she at least understands the gun a bit more. It will likely be a while before I can do that. I looked at your suggestion, but it seems they have a problem with the door sticking when using the biometric option. I will do some more searching for reviews of that model.

like I said I know nothing about small gun safes. I say the best thing to do is get on YT and see what other say. as far mama goes offer her a range trip and a lunch or dinner afterwords. it helps to give her something in return for being open minded.... bread always taste better when buttered up...
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I agree. My wife always was intrigued by guns but they made her a little nervous. I took her to the range a few times and she now owns a 26, and her grouping is within the size of a lemon at 25'.
    Steve

Gen 3 Glock 19
    Gen 3 Glock 26

I must have married your wife's long lost sister. Look up the LocSAF PBS-001. A little higher than your price range but good quality. I got mine from Blue Dot Safes for 262 + shipping.
    G19 gen3

some people will disagree with me but a lot of woman tend to be better shots then men

10 or 12 gauge steel, anything thinner can be hacked through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links