How to Safely Store Ammo and G19 for Home Defense? - Page 2

How to Safely Store Ammo and G19 for Home Defense?

This is a discussion on How to Safely Store Ammo and G19 for Home Defense? within the Glock Talk and Discussion forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; Don't overthink it, use your brain and do what you believe is the safest and best for you and your family...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Don't overthink it, use your brain and do what you believe is the safest and best for you and your family

That safe is way over priced! I bought this one "Barska AX11646 Multi-Access Biometric Keypad Safe" for $164 deliverd from ebay (new) and it is about double the size of the one you are looking at and has both biometric, keypad and key. It is selling for $199 now, but that is what I paid just a month ago. Works great and has a shelf in it so you have lots of storage room. Do you really need a carpenter to mount it? These things really are locking boxes as opposed to true safes. They keep the currious out, but are not designed to really keep determined people out - it just slows them down a lot. I have mine on the floor in my bedroom opposite from my bed (easy access). I have an eight foot 2x4 mounted to it that runs behind my dresser the full lenth. This would stop anyone from just picking it up any carrying it away. More than secure enough, they would have to get past my two large dogs and alarm system to even stand a chance of getting near it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChip View Post
    Hello,

I just purchased a G19 for home defense and will be picking up the gun mid-next week. I am looking for advice on the best way to store this new gun and ammo. I want to place the gun and ammo in my bedroom for easy access in case of an emergency. I have a wife and two teenagers and want to store the gun and ammo in a safe and responsible way. To this end I am thinking of purchasing the following safe:

Amazon.com: BARSKA Biometric Safe: Sports & Outdoors

It seems to get really good reviews for being secure, yet easy and quick to open. I would be the only one keyed into the safe since my wife would never use the G19. I will have a carpenter securely mount the safe to wall studs in my closet (the wife would never agree to having this out in the open). In the safe I plan to have the following:

1. The unloaded G19
    2. Between 2 and 4 pre-loaded magazines
    3. Several boxes of ammo

Here are my questions:

1. Do I still need to use a trigger lock if the gun is stored in the above safe?
    2. Is it OK to have the gun and ammo in the same safe? My concern about splitting them is that the time needed to "get prepared" may be too long.
    3. If I need to split the gun and ammo, how should I store the ammo?
    4. What happens if there is a fire in the house? Is there a risk for a large explosion with all that ammo in the safe? Or will the ammo only explode if the safe is fully engulfed in flames (in which case we better be out of the room).
    5. Finally, if you have a suggestion for a better safe (or safes) to store the gun and ammo with the total price of $250 or less, please share.

Sorry for all of the questions. I am really hopeful that experienced members can help me make the right purchase selections.

Thanks!
    Chip

P.S. I live in CA so the magazines have a capacity of 10 rounds. That is why I am looking at having multiple magazines pre-loaded.
    Just my opinion, but I would not trust my safety and my family's safety to a 9mm. I just don't see the attraction to a 9mm. I know way too many folks (law enforcement and military) who have experienced in adequate results with a 9mm.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

kmann let me shoot you with a 9mm and see if it dont stop you in our tracks just cause you dont like it dont down it i can shoot 300 yards with my glock let me see you do that with 40 or 45 you get some home defense rounds it just as good as any other gun you could stop people with a 22 just got have a good shot

im new but if your main concern is your kids messing with it ill say hiding it from site is probally not a good idea IMO i was raised around guns and taught safe handling and instruction so when i came across a gun i new how to make sure it was safe i also went to school with kids who never seen a gun in their life come across a uncles/grandfathers gun and think its a toy and put a hole in the wall or floor if not themselves or someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by kman22250 View Post
    Just my opinion, but I would not trust my safety and my family's safety to a 9mm. I just don't see the attraction to a 9mm. I know way too many folks (law enforcement and military) who have experienced in adequate results with a 9mm.
    And there have been many more that have found a 9mm to be very sufficient in stopping a threat...believe me...Bullet placement is the key...A lot of folks have/carry larger calibers that make them feel "better protected"...why, because it's a larger round?...one well placed hit with a .22 is far superior to 12-15 misses with some hand cannon that they can't shoot... Personally, I don't choose a 9mm either, as I like .45's ...but I would never down someones choice of 9mm for protection of themselves/family...whatever one can shoot effectively is what one needs to have as a "go to..."

Glock softly and leave your big stick at home...
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rowabi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links