How to Safely Store Ammo and G19 for Home Defense?

This is a discussion on How to Safely Store Ammo and G19 for Home Defense? within the Glock Talk and Discussion forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; Hello, I just purchased a G19 for home defense and will be picking up the gun mid-next week. I am looking for advice on the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello,

I just purchased a G19 for home defense and will be picking up the gun mid-next week. I am looking for advice on the best way to store this new gun and ammo. I want to place the gun and ammo in my bedroom for easy access in case of an emergency. I have a wife and two teenagers and want to store the gun and ammo in a safe and responsible way. To this end I am thinking of purchasing the following safe:

Amazon.com: BARSKA Biometric Safe: Sports & Outdoors

It seems to get really good reviews for being secure, yet easy and quick to open. I would be the only one keyed into the safe since my wife would never use the G19. I will have a carpenter securely mount the safe to wall studs in my closet (the wife would never agree to having this out in the open). In the safe I plan to have the following:

1. The unloaded G19
    2. Between 2 and 4 pre-loaded magazines
    3. Several boxes of ammo

Here are my questions:

1. Do I still need to use a trigger lock if the gun is stored in the above safe?
    2. Is it OK to have the gun and ammo in the same safe? My concern about splitting them is that the time needed to "get prepared" may be too long.
    3. If I need to split the gun and ammo, how should I store the ammo?
    4. What happens if there is a fire in the house? Is there a risk for a large explosion with all that ammo in the safe? Or will the ammo only explode if the safe is fully engulfed in flames (in which case we better be out of the room).
    5. Finally, if you have a suggestion for a better safe (or safes) to store the gun and ammo with the total price of $250 or less, please share.

Sorry for all of the questions. I am really hopeful that experienced members can help me make the right purchase selections.

Thanks!
    Chip

P.S. I live in CA so the magazines have a capacity of 10 rounds. That is why I am looking at having multiple magazines pre-loaded.
    Last edited by MrChip; 02-22-2013 at 11:27 AM. Reason: More info

1) Once you have the gun in a safe you don’t need the trigger lock ect.

2&3) California recommends that you keep your ammo in a different room then the firearm. However that’s not practical for a home defense firearm. What I do is I have a safe near my bed with my firearm and 2 magazines one loaded in the gun the other on standby. Then in my office I have a 2nd safe where I keep the rest of my ammo.

4) If there is a fire in your house the safe should have a fire rating. It will give you a heat level and time limit. But its still best to keep the safe cool. Some fire departments wont go near the room with ammo until the ammo has discharged as they don’t want to risk getting hurt. So if you have home fire sprinklers place the safe near one so it will stay cool. Or you can try and grab its contents before the fire reaches it. If you have 40 rounds your safe can probably handle the discharge and offer protection, if you have hundreds of rounds it’s another story…

5) as for the safe well… it seems like a nice one. The only way you could improve it would be to find one that’s CA DOJ approved which just means the company sent it to the DOJ in Ca and paid for it to be “inspected” and approved for firearm usage. But for someone to break into a safe pretty much means you where not at home and they had lots of time so to me its not a huge thing.

Hope this helps you out.
    Irish Diplomacy.....
    The ability to tell a man to go to hell and have him looking forward to the trip.

NRA Life Member

1. Do I still need to use a trigger lock if the gun is stored in the above safe? NO
    2. Is it OK to have the gun and ammo in the same safe? YES My concern about splitting them is that the time needed to "get prepared" may be too long. NO PROBS storing them together
    3. If I need to split the gun and ammo, how should I store the ammo? ammo is best when stored in a dry temp controlled space, keeps the ammo from oxidizing
    4. What happens if there is a fire in the house? the ammo will snap crackle and pop Is there a risk for a large explosion with all that ammo in the safe? NO Or will the ammo only explode if the safe is fully engulfed in flames (in which case we better be out of the room). yes and no, it will pop but nothing like what you think 5. Finally, if you have a suggestion for a better safe (or safes) to store the gun and ammo with the total price of $250 or less, please share.

if all you have is a hand gun then look at these for 146.00:
    SentrySafe Combination Fire Safe - Walmart.com
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

Call me cheap but I won't spend 200+ on a safe for a gun. It also looks like it would have to slide under ur bed. For my home defense weapon ( also g19 ) I use a sentry fire safe with an electronic pad key. It fits in the top drawer of my night stand, it opens from the top not from the front so all I have to do is open the drawer and pop it open. It is fire rated very high as are most sentry safes, it comes with a steel cable to secure( which I drilled a hole in the back if night stand and tan cable through there around the bottom of the head board of my bed which can't be seen) I keep my gun loaded and chambered with an extra mag. Most of the times at night if I'm home or asleep I keep it unlocked so in. Case of an emergency I just open the drawer lift the lid and have easy access to gun instead of messing around with combos. It cost 39.99 at Office Depot. Just an idea. My other guns are stored in a different safe in a different room.
    GLOCK 17 GEN 4
    GLOCK 43
    H&K VP9
    Bushmaster AR15

By the way the safe has room for a glock 19 and xdm compact with tlr3 light and an extra mag for each
    GLOCK 17 GEN 4
    GLOCK 43
    H&K VP9
    Bushmaster AR15

I have multiple handguns and lots of ammo in the house, along with a 2 year old boy. First, my wife is into guns and knows how to safely operate and shoot the firearms - each of them. I keep a sizeable handgun safe in the walk-in closet, very close to bed, with all firearms and ammo stored in this safe. Unless you have 3 guys and a dolly, that safe is not going anywhere. I keep my Beretta loaded - condition 2 - chambered, hammer down, safety on - right in the safe and ready to grab if necessary. While I don't yet have a bed side safe, I am considering obtaining one for my wife for when I am traveling out of town for business. Having said that, my wife knows how to operate the safe and it is quickly accessible.
    Also, consider multiple security systems - house, dogs, and guns. if intruder breaks into home, the alarm goes off, dogs will be on full alert, and you can quickly get out of bed and access your firearm.

with kids in the house, a safe is mandatory. guns can be loaded in the safe. however, if guns are unloaded and/or trigger locked, there is not a need to keep in the safe except for concerns of theft when you are not in your house. let us know what you decide.
    Glock 19 gen 4
    Sig P226 (German)
    Sig P229 Elite Dark 9mm
    Sig 1911 C3
    Kimber Custom II
    Colt 1911 CCG
    Beretta 92fs
    And... an awesome wife who likes shooting guns!

Also, can't biometric safes fail since they are battery powered? I would think bed side safe with manual locking system would be best, no fail bet.
    Glock 19 gen 4
    Sig P226 (German)
    Sig P229 Elite Dark 9mm
    Sig 1911 C3
    Kimber Custom II
    Colt 1911 CCG
    Beretta 92fs
    And... an awesome wife who likes shooting guns!

It's the biometric feature that makes it so expensive. You can get the same or better quality combo lock safe much cheaper.
    Your mileage may vary. Batteries not included.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Also, can't biometric safes fail since they are battery powered? I would think bed side safe with manual locking system would be best, no fail bet.
    Yes - rule of thumb is to change out the batteries on the same schedule as your house smoke/fire alarms if they are on batteries.

Be honest with yourself and think about other battery/smoke alarm/other commitments and whether you tend to keep up with them.

I agree - if you have a good, fire rated safe that's accessible, keeping ammo and a chambered weapon would be the preference. "Secure" can sometimes mean you keep yourself out, as well, which isn't what you want.

We don't have children in the house anymore, and they are too far away to visit unannounced, so we both keep handguns, chambered, in our nighstands. But even we have conversations about if someone has to move one, or going to range with one, etc. Same on the shotgun under the bed and the LAR in the closet - we have a discussion about once a month on the status of everything (including location of ammo etc).

If you haven't already decided to do so, go over gun safety with the household - talk it over with your wife about appropriate timing with your children. I would also repeat it periodically...the taught approach to gun safety is to never hide a weapon. It becomes immediately intriguing by default. Be prepared for questions out of the blue as kids get older. I'm of the opinion education and respect are the best gun safety time a family can invest.

It's good you are trying to think things through instead of buying the first solution that comes to mind.
    Last edited by NName591; 02-23-2013 at 02:24 AM.

Hi everyone,

Sorry I disappeared for a few weeks. Tomorrow I will be attending my first ever gun show - Crossroads of the West. I plan on buying an ammo can or two. I also hope to buy 4-8 boxes of ammo. Finally, I will look at the various gun safes on display. I will let you know what I end up buying. Can't believe that I have had my new G19 for almost 2 weeks and haven't had a chance to use it yet! I did add some accessories to it, including a laser.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links