Who's taken training courses? - Page 2

Who's taken training courses?

This is a discussion on Who's taken training courses? within the Glock Talk and Discussion forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; I've hosted several courses with John Farnam and hold an instructor's certificate from him. Fine instructor....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Who's taken training courses?

I've hosted several courses with John Farnam and hold an instructor's certificate from him. Fine instructor.
    mlk18 likes this.

Thanks for all the input. I checked out some of the names I wasn't familiar with. I'm starting to think Florida is an ugly duckling state when it comes to firearms training from a lot of the well known name guys. If anyone in FL has any knowledge of any good schools or instructors in state please let me know. Thanks
    Keep your loved ones close and your firearms closer
    Glock 23 Gen 3 exo
    Glock 26 Gen 3
    Ruger LCP

John Farnam travels all over the US. Check out John S. Farnam, DTI - HOME for his schedule. There may be something near you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

I took a basic handgun class this year, only because I've never carried in Texas, and grew up 100% with long guns. My husband recommended a colleague, who is with the EMT (aka SWAT) at HCSO. I highly recommend him after taking his class. I'm looking forward to taking additional classes.
    He doesn't believe in gouging his clients. Even his CHL class had some fun in it occasionally - you can't say that about many instructors. His classes are typically full, and he seems to have plenty of business just from word of mouth. All the classes are hands on, and you must be involved - he keeps his classes to 20 for this reason. I didn't see anyone do anything dumb, and there was everyone from very beginning (no weapons experience) and up.

One reason he might be different is that the instructors here have a lot of inner competition between their selves, and the poor ones are weeded out quickly. I know retired officers and other instructors who take from him and are very pleased (and they are the worst critics usually).

Defensive Training Center
    Last edited by NName591; 03-08-2013 at 09:12 PM.

Most of my training was military (Navy). Have some friends going down to the Front Sight Firearms Training in NV this weekend. Wish I could go, sounds like fun.
    G19 Gen3/G26 Gen3

As a retired police officer, I've had the opportunity to take a lot of shooting courses. Many of them I paid for myself even though they were law enforcement only. My department wouldn't send me so I paid the money and took vacation or accumulated comp time and went. A lot of them my department sent me to. NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor and NRA Submachine Gun Instructor, (That one was really fun!) a couple of specialized week long shooting classes, several one day and three day shooting classes. H&K USP Armorer School. I took a three day course with Bank Miller. NRA Firearms Safety and Firearms Safety Instructor courses about 40 years ago and Texas Security Firearms Instructor about 30 years ago. I've shot with some instructors who were excellent and some who were so/so. I think everyone needs to keep training and learning. Just be careful because there are some instructors out there who teach things that will get you killed in a gunfight or that are unsafe. If the instructor does or teaches something that is unsafe or is a "chairborne commando", cut your losses and leave. I'd rather lose some money than get hurt or train to do something that can get me killed in a fight.
    NName591 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlacht View Post
    CCW course is a joke, I've seen people that finished course and did the most stupid things with guns
    You could find more on the internet about safety
    What's more of a joke is not having to have any training of any kind to get a CCW...I've done CCW in 3 states, and seen three levels of intensity in each..I can promise you that the military training and experiences I've had were far better than any CCW class you can receive, but not everyone has been in the military. I'd much rather see some training than no training...Imagine those same people that did the "most stupid things" if they hadn't had any training...Those classes don't make you rocket science material, but hopefully they cause you to think things thru...Then again, there are those that really shouldn't carry...period...no matter what level of training they have...

Glock softly and leave your big stick at home...
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rowabi

Quote Originally Posted by rowabi View Post
    What's more of a joke is not having to have any training of any kind to get a CCW...I've done CCW in 3 states, and seen three levels of intensity in each..I can promise you that the military training and experiences I've had were far better than any CCW class you can receive, but not everyone has been in the military. I'd much rather see some training than no training...Imagine those same people that did the "most stupid things" if they hadn't had any training...Those classes don't make you rocket science material, but hopefully they cause you to think things thru...Then again, there are those that really shouldn't carry...period...no matter what level of training they have...
    I couldn't agree with you more on this. When I was a PA resident, you walked into the sheriff's office, plopped down $5, got fingerprinted and issued a CCW. Here in TN, it's an 8 hour class ($65 and up) where they allegedly go over gun handling, cleaning, care, and hopefully a lecture on self defense/state law. (Can't say, cause I haven't taken it) Then you go to the range where the course of fire is....well....woefully simple. After that, you go to another office, plop down $115 and wait 2-3 months for your permit in the mail. Good for 5 years, I believe. Renewals are $50.

far enough from Asheville, NC to be normal
    Quote Originally Posted by jdw174 View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more on this. When I was a PA resident, you walked into the sheriff's office, plopped down $5, got fingerprinted and issued a CCW. Here in TN, it's an 8 hour class ($65 and up) where they allegedly go over gun handling, cleaning, care, and hopefully a lecture on self defense/state law. (Can't say, cause I haven't taken it) Then you go to the range where the course of fire is....well....woefully simple. After that, you go to another office, plop down $115 and wait 2-3 months for your permit in the mail. Good for 5 years, I believe. Renewals are $50.
    sounds like NC
    Gen 3 G26
    Gen 4 G27 FDE
    Gen 3 G29

Quote Originally Posted by Schlacht View Post
    CCW course is a joke, I've seen people that finished course and did the most stupid things with guns
    You could find more on the internet about safety
    That's not the course's fault. You can't fix stupid.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links