Home Defense...do you keep you Glock locked or unlocked???

This is a discussion on Home Defense...do you keep you Glock locked or unlocked??? within the Glock Talk and Discussion forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; 1) For a home defense situation, do you keep your Glock handy and locked (or in a lock box) or unlocked? 2) Where do you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Home Defense...do you keep you Glock locked or unlocked???

1) For a home defense situation, do you keep your Glock handy and locked (or in a lock box) or unlocked?
    2) Where do you keep it?

I assume most folk with children keep their guns locked in one form or another to prevent tragic accidents, that's understood. But I am past the point of youngin's in the house as I suspect many of the folk here on the forum may be. So, what to do to protect yourself and still be responsible.

I have to admit it always makes me a little nervous when someone tells me they sleep with a fully loaded/unlocked handgun under their pillow. Just glad I'm not sleeping next to them! LOL, all kidding aside, is that safe? I hope they don't have a nightmare or accidentally grab it in their sleep.

Anyway, your comments appreciated. FWIW I keep mine in the nightstand fully loaded with one in the chamber. No kids, no lock!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits - Albert Einstein

All time favorite quote: Because I said so - my dad
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

no kids, gun on a magnetic holster close to bed. when I had kids at home gun was allway handy but secure
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

I sleep with a Glock under my pillow. It faces away from my wife who sleeps cuddled up against me. I have a Raven Concealment VanGuard 2 holster attached to it. Quick and easy to get off if I need it, but since the VG2 covers the trigger guard there's no fear of me accidentally pressing the trigger. And I keep a Remington 870 shotgun locked in a wall mounted shotgun mount in my closet.

The best part of our security plan however, is her little yappy dog. It doesn't bark at passing cars, but voices or footsteps will make it growl which wakes me up. And I have no fear of it attacking anyone cuz it's only desire is to be loved, but it makes a great early warning system.

My 11 year old step daughter knows about guns. She's shot out guns. We practice home invasion drills and middle of the night someone breaking in drills. She knows our guns aren't toys and I have no worries about her sneaking one out to play. Not that she could cuz she doesn't have the safe combo.

I'm comfortable with this set up.
    BOHICA_11 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

scorbing
    Well this is going to sound crazy but my gun is on its original Glock case, unloaded without ammo in the closet in a bag. I live in a controlled access apartment complex on the 3rd floor. My next door neighbor is a police officer and I have been here for 4 years now. Extremely quiet area and place. No crime, stupid idiots or thugs so I honestly never had any reason to keep a loaded weapon in my house. Hell I don't even have ammo here...LOL...LOL...LOL

If I'm awake the gun is on my person with 1 in the chamber and 12 in the mag with a 15 round mag in standby. If I'm in bed then it's right beside my bed locked and loaded.

What's the point in having firearms and letting your guard down in your own house? Criminals don't suddenly respect you once you enter your front door, they'd just as soon bust it in and do disgusting things and take what you have.

scorbing
    Quote Originally Posted by BenHolliday View Post
    If I'm awake the gun is on my person with 1 in the chamber and 12 in the mag with a 15 round mag in standby. If I'm in bed then it's right beside my bed locked and loaded.

What's the point in having firearms and letting your guard down in your own house? Criminals don't suddenly respect you once you enter your front door, they'd just as soon bust it in and do disgusting things and take what you have.

I agree with you 150%, however, the justice system is screwed up and we have to be very careful when pulling that trigger because the State's attorney and prosecutor will come after you will full force and remind you that just because you carry a permit doesn't mean you are a freelance police officer. The law seems to protect the criminals more than us citizens so be very careful if you pull that gun out of that holster.
    BenHolliday likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brudlbdings View Post
    I sleep with a Glock under my pillow. It faces away from my wife who sleeps cuddled up against me. I have a Raven Concealment VanGuard 2 holster attached to it. Quick and easy to get off if I need it, but since the VG2 covers the trigger guard there's no fear of me accidentally pressing the trigger. And I keep a Remington 870 shotgun locked in a wall mounted shotgun mount in my closet.

The best part of our security plan however, is her little yappy dog. It doesn't bark at passing cars, but voices or footsteps will make it growl which wakes me up. And I have no fear of it attacking anyone cuz it's only desire is to be loved, but it makes a great early warning system.

My 11 year old step daughter knows about guns. She's shot out guns. We practice home invasion drills and middle of the night someone breaking in drills. She knows our guns aren't toys and I have no worries about her sneaking one out to play. Not that she could cuz she doesn't have the safe combo.

I'm comfortable with this set up.
    More power to you, I toss and turn and shift around so much that the gun would end up falling to the floor, with great clamor I am sure...waking my wife. then she would ask, what the heck was THAT? I would answer: my fully loaded automatic Glock with one in the chamber.
    Needless to say, this would NOT be the precursor to a romantic interlude!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by scorbing View Post
    I agree with you 150%, however, the justice system is screwed up and we have to be very careful when pulling that trigger because the State's attorney and prosecutor will come after you will full force and remind you that just because you carry a permit doesn't mean you are a freelance police officer. The law seems to protect the criminals more than us citizens so be very careful if you pull that gun out of that holster.
    yes, to be sure...but, in your own adobe, that is quite different (state dependent I am sure). I am always reminded of the quote: I would rather be judged by 12 rather than carried by 12...or something to that affect. Anyway, before drawing your weapon make certain your/someones life is in imminent danger. And don't pull it out unless you are certain you are going to pull the trigger.
    YMMV,
    Doc

When asleep, the gun is loaded with extra mags within immediate reach, along with additional ammo. When awake it's within reach.

Always one in the chamber. No kids at home, and no entertaining, so no visitors. Never locked in a box - always within 3 feet or less.

We employ more than guns for our safety - a gun is a tool, just like a good deadbolt system. But there's far more. Walls and doors are just barriers, but they aren't much good if they are weak or not installed properly. We bought our house in 2008 and immediately gutted the doors/frames, and refitted them properly with safety in mind. I will hear the SOB if they try (but most won't get in now, lol). We have steel thresholds and door strikes installed. One of the most overlooked safety compromises on a home is the windows and doors with half or 3/4 windows (and using single deadbolt systems). We fixed all of that, getting double deadbolts (it's a bit surprising how unavailable they can be - we have to special order them) - and we lock them day or night, including to the garage. We had a VERY tough time finding the appropriate window locks, but finally found them. Windows are too easily compromised.

All that - is if any one dare tries, they will have to be so loud it will wake all the neighbors...and will certainly make it clear to the police they had to expend some effort to break in (so when I shoot them, the grand jury will give me a No Bill). Do I want to shoot someone? No. Will I? Absolutely - if they come into my house, yes sir. I will do it safely, and will keep myself trained mentally and physically.

Now when I had a kid at home many moons ago, I did keep mine in a locked case, with one in the chamber. We went over gun safety etc and I kept it in my bedroom in a "no kids" area. I didn't like this because it was far less accessible, but my kid's safety was paramount, and I didn't want her friends "roaming" and then I'm dinged for a snooping kid's accident. My kid knew better, but with the best of intentions, ever kid gets curious, and I couldn't risk the .01% chance. It was that or never allow her friends ever in the house - that wasn't an option for us. A gun safe wasn't possible (a high rise apartment). I think everyone just needs to think about their priorities and limitations and work out the solution from there. It's not easy sometimes knowing how to balance it all with kids at home, in this day.

Don't get me started on car safety (not leaving stuff in the back seat in a locked car, or simply leaving a car unlocked). Most car break ins in Houston, are for unlocked cars, or cars with stuff in the backseat (eg computers, guns). Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by NName591 View Post
    When asleep, the gun is loaded with extra mags within immediate reach, along with additional ammo. When awake it's within reach.

Always one in the chamber. No kids at home, and no entertaining, so no visitors. Never locked in a box - always within 3 feet or less.

We employ more than guns for our safety - a gun is a tool, just like a good deadbolt system. But there's far more. Walls and doors are just barriers, but they aren't much good if they are weak or not installed properly. We bought our house in 2008 and immediately gutted the doors/frames, and refitted them properly with safety in mind. I will hear the SOB if they try (but most won't get in now, lol). We have steel thresholds and door strikes installed. One of the most overlooked safety compromises on a home is the windows and doors with half or 3/4 windows (and using single deadbolt systems). We fixed all of that, getting double deadbolts (it's a bit surprising how unavailable they can be - we have to special order them) - and we lock them day or night, including to the garage. We had a VERY tough time finding the appropriate window locks, but finally found them. Windows are too easily compromised.

All that - is if any one dare tries, they will have to be so loud it will wake all the neighbors...and will certainly make it clear to the police they had to expend some effort to break in (so when I shoot them, the grand jury will give me a No Bill). Do I want to shoot someone? No. Will I? Absolutely - if they come into my house, yes sir. I will do it safely, and will keep myself trained mentally and physically.

Now when I had a kid at home many moons ago, I did keep mine in a locked case, with one in the chamber. We went over gun safety etc and I kept it in my bedroom in a "no kids" area. I didn't like this because it was far less accessible, but my kid's safety was paramount, and I didn't want her friends "roaming" and then I'm dinged for a snooping kid's accident. My kid knew better, but with the best of intentions, ever kid gets curious, and I couldn't risk the .01% chance. It was that or never allow her friends ever in the house - that wasn't an option for us. A gun safe wasn't possible (a high rise apartment). I think everyone just needs to think about their priorities and limitations and work out the solution from there. It's not easy sometimes knowing how to balance it all with kids at home, in this day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links