Glock Forum banner

PMC Bronze .40 Cal S&W Ammo - Anyone Here Used It?

11K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  Ranger45 
G
#1 ·
My brother was able to get some boxes of this brand for $25.00 each/50 rounds today. I have never heard of it before. Is that good ammo?

#5 ·
Nope, just the local gun store that doesn't raise prices to gouge customers. They are one of the main firearms dealers in the area, use to supply police departments. this is taken directly from their website "In our loyalty to you, our over the counter prices have not been inflated capitalize on current market.". Went to another local gun store and they were selling .40 for $50/100, let's just say I won't be going back there.

G
#12 ·
Oh by the way, I noticed this ammo is 165 GR. The American Eagle ammo I used before was 180 GR. I am still a bit new at the GR thing, so how is the difference in GR going to affect the way the ammo works? I think what I am trying to ask is, what is the difference between 165 and 180?

#14 ·
Used to get it for $8-$9.00 a box.....

G
#15 ·
I got this information from another forum. The guy was replying to someone that asked the same question I did here. Is this answer true?

"Personally, I only shoot 165gr in .40. The 180gr bullet (which was originally designed for the 10mm's longer case) doesn't leave much room in the case for the powder, so a slight overcharge can lead to overpressure and blow up. It's rare, and it's unlikely to happen in factory loaded ammo, but it only takes once and I prefer not to risk it. Ammo makers make mistakes too.

Whatever you decide on for defense, you should try to find a practice ammo that has a similar load, so that you have some consistency between them. For instance, if your defense load is 165gr at 1050 fps, then try to find a practice load that's 165gr at 1050fps or as close as possible.

Different bullet weights and different powder charges will have different points of impact on the target, and will have a different sound and recoil impulse. If you ever have to shoot in self defense, you want that gun to feel just like it does when you're on the range."

Source: http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f12/whats-difference-155gr-165gr-180-gr-8938/

#16 ·
I think it's a matter of trying them out and first seeing if there is a difference, and if there is, judge your weapon and the accuracy and any other changes you might notice. You'll get different answers from different people using different weapons.

There's a number of factors to consider - the manufacturer, the gun you use, and I think even whether it's FMJ or JHP might factor in.

I'm going to test this out at the range the next time I go - I have some UMC FMJ 230 gr and some Remington JHP 185 gr, and some Magtech 165 gr +Ps. That should be interesting to report.

#22 ·
wouldn't that apply to any caliber? :eek:

I know LEOs who shoot both grains without any problem, manufactured and even top quality reloads (to spec only).

I would encourage some further research. The wikipedia source may not be reliable and should be a starting place, but not definitive. I looked at the editing source and it was written in pieces, between 2007 and 2010, mostly. And it has some problems with the research...

By no means am I saying one doesn't have to be careful. I feel confident that if you buy 180 gr from Remington or Winchester, and have a Glock that is in good working order (no weird untested mods), you will be fine.

#24 ·
Muzzle flash has little to do with bullet weight. It has more to do with the specific powder. Some powders burn hotter and faster and more completely than others. Some will produce more flash than others. I'm of the mindset, and it's strictly anecdotal, the higher quality the ammunition whether its fmj or jhp the less muzzle flash will be an issue.

The real difference in the bullet weights is going to be in velocity. As someone already said its mostly a difference between a lighter faster moving projectile versus a heavier slower moving one. Two shooters may have very different opinions on which is better.

#26 ·
Have some PMC Bronze in .223 for my AR...it's good range ammo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.