Need advice from experienced DIY grip reduction people-PLEASE

This is a discussion on Need advice from experienced DIY grip reduction people-PLEASE within the Glock Talk and Discussion forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; Please no comments regarding decreasing resale value, buy guns that fit your hand etc. Much appreciated! Now to the problem: I have successfully done a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Need advice from experienced DIY grip reduction people-PLEASE

Please no comments regarding decreasing resale value, buy guns that fit your hand etc. Much appreciated!

Now to the problem: I have successfully done a number of grip reductions on Glocks, including a grip reduction and chop that came out amazingly professional. I'm going to switch to heat gun reductions in the future, but so far my method has been to fill the back strap channel with epoxy, remove the hump and finger grooves with a dremel and then re-stippling with a soldering iron. That said, I rushed my most recent one and removed a bit too much of the polymer on the back strap exposing the epoxy and now I cannot heat stipple the epoxy. I'm hoping that someone can offer a suggestion for a material that can be re-applied over top of the exposed epoxy that can then be heat stippled to match the rest of the grip. So far, I have unsuccessfully tried Acraglas Gel, Truck Bedliner, Permatex Plastic Weld, but none of these will heat stipple, so it's the same issue as the epoxy. I'm about to order a new frame for about $90.00, but figured I post this as a last ditch effort. Thanks all! I've attached photos in case this helps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	18513

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	18515
    MisterMills357 likes this.

Grind the epoxy down in that area and graft glock back strap material back on.

This is actually the correct way to do it.

Cut back strap hump off. Reshape / flatten piece. Epoxy that piece back on. Then plastic weld the seams back together using glock material and or back strap material. This methods allows the wall thickness to be the same and not relying on epoxy to keep the thinnest part from flexing or in your case exposing the grip plug cavity.

Here’s so pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MisterMills357 and H.Franco like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PaseMkr View Post
    Please no comments regarding decreasing resale value, buy guns that fit your hand etc. Much appreciated!

Now to the problem: I have successfully done a number of grip reductions on Glocks, including a grip reduction and chop that came out amazingly professional. I'm going to switch to heat gun reductions in the future, but so far my method has been to fill the back strap channel with epoxy, remove the hump and finger grooves with a dremel and then re-stippling with a soldering iron. That said, I rushed my most recent one and removed a bit too much of the polymer on the back strap exposing the epoxy and now I cannot heat stipple the epoxy. I'm hoping that someone can offer a suggestion for a material that can be re-applied over top of the exposed epoxy that can then be heat stippled to match the rest of the grip. So far, I have unsuccessfully tried Acraglas Gel, Truck Bedliner, Permatex Plastic Weld, but none of these will heat stipple, so it's the same issue as the epoxy. I'm about to order a new frame for about $90.00, but figured I post this as a last ditch effort. Thanks all! I've attached photos in case this helps.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	18513

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	18515
    Send me a private message so I can send you a link to do videos and pics.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dom42 View Post
    Grind the epoxy down in that area and graft glock back strap material back on.

This is actually the correct way to do it.

Cut back strap hump off. Reshape / flatten piece. Epoxy that piece back on. Then plastic weld the seams back together using glock material and or back strap material. This methods allows the wall thickness to be the same and not relying on epoxy to keep the thinnest part from flexing or in your case exposing the grip plug cavity.

Here’s so pics

AWESOME! Thanks Dom! I have been thinking along this line. The pics are a great help. The only thing I am not sure how to do is plastic weld the seems with Glock material. Can you give me a little more info regarding that? Do I just use my soldering iron?
    H.Franco likes this.

Yes. Use the spade tip that comes in most wood burning kits. You will use the flat part of it. You want to cut up a factory back strap or if you have Glocks you can cut up. I do because I buy messed up Glocks from ppl for my work. But the back strap material works too. Make sure to melt into seems and just not over it. Melt them in so it’s melted on the back piece you cut off and to the frame. If you go to my Instagram account @FLT_LLC AND GO TO THE PROFILE PAGE. you will see I have some story videos saved. There a story about how I do it.

llahmij likes this.

Thanks Doms! I mean it. Thank you so much!!! I will check out your IG page and see if I can find the story you are referring to. Thanks again!

Wow Dom! I finally had the time to look at your IG page. Are all those pics of firearms that you have done? They look AMAZING! I like the stippling pattern on those Polymer80 frames and the aggressive borders cut around the stippling a lot. What do you use for that pattern and how do you make the border. I have always only just done the dot stippling like in my picture and have never cut a border. I would love to learn how to do the border. I've tried various methods on old frames that I've seen on YouTube, but I always mess up doing the border.
    Unless I'm in the wrong location on IG I haven't been able to locate the video that shows plastic welding. Can you point me in the right direction. You can send me a private message if you prefer.
    Last edited by PaseMkr; 02-26-2019 at 06:21 AM.

Literally just use a hot iron with a flat tip. Smash the glock polymer / back strap material down into the seems and make them melt into both pieces being melded together.

As far as my craft. Man there so much involved. Especially my style. It’s probably the most involved in the craft. Not to mention the most detailed. Kinda hard to just say how to do it. I have 1000s of frames under my belt so that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by dom42 View Post
    Literally just use a hot iron with a flat tip. Smash the glock polymer / back strap material down into the seems and make them melt into both pieces being melded together.

As far as my craft. Man there so much involved. Especially my style. It’s probably the most involved in the craft. Not to mention the most detailed. Kinda hard to just say how to do it. I have 1000s of frames under my belt so that helps.

You do awesome work! I bow down! LOL
    dom42 and H.Franco like this.

Wow! That was a smart way to fix it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links