Self defense ammo for glock 19 gen 4

This is a discussion on Self defense ammo for glock 19 gen 4 within the Glock Talk and Discussion forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; Hi again everyone just wondering what the best self defense ammo is for a glock 19 gen 4?? I heard speer gold dot 124 +p ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Self defense ammo for glock 19 gen 4

Hi again everyone just wondering what the best self defense ammo is for a glock 19 gen 4??
    I heard speer gold dot 124 +p is good! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnboymsu View Post
    Hi again everyone just wondering what the best self defense ammo is for a glock 19 gen 4??
    I recommend Hornady Critical Defense. Gold Dot is good as well (as are Winchester PDX1), but due to design, Hornady is the most consistant in terms of expansion. They NEVER FAIL. Gold Dot and PDX1 have (in some instances) become plugged and failed to expand. Penetration is similar, and within accepted norms, for all three.
    Glock 23 Gen4
    Glock 42 Gen4

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    I recommend Hornady Critical Defense. Gold Dot is good as well (as are Winchester PDX1), but due to design, Hornady is the most consistant in terms of expansion. They NEVER FAIL. Gold Dot and PDX1 have (in some instances) become plugged and failed to expand. Penetration is similar, and within accepted norms, for all three.
    I have actually tested Hornady Critical Defense in a brick of ballistics gel myself and seen it fail to fully expand. I also tested Remington Golden Saber HPJ and found them very reliable and a very nice expansion. As a result of my testing these and other rounds, I carry the Remington Golden Saber HPJ.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

its as good as any of the duty defense rounds. hyper rounds might give you more bang for your buck and go through walls and windows killing someone that you never intended to shoot in the first place. ammo is only as good as the shooter, if you can't hit what you are shooting at the best ammo is no good
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

You heard correctly, along with Federal HST and WW Ranger-T.

remember this as you all are debating over the best ammo; more people die from range ammo every day then the best ammo money can buy
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

I really like Federal Premium LE HST Tactical Bonded 135gr +P.

Dependable, heavy, fast, accurate, and expansive. I have a lot of confidence in this ammunition.

In reality, of course, almost any good major-brand JHP will do the job just fine, as long as your particular gun seems to "like" it. Everybody just seems to end up with a favorite, and the Federal HST 135 +P is mine.
    Last edited by cedarelm7; 08-13-2013 at 06:01 PM.
    Glock 17, 19, 26

*Texas CHL* *TSRA* *NRA* *SAF* *GOA* *GSSF* *NSSF* Μολών Λαβέ

First thing I look for in carry ammo is quality. The bonded bullets make a lot of sense and most of the major ammo companies best ammo is constructed with bonded bullets. Second thing I look for is point of aim (POA). If the pistol - ammo combo does not shoot POA, it's a no go with me. The pistol must shoot POA with carry ammo. Third the pistol must be reliable with the ammo. I don't have set number of rounds that must go through the weapon, I know when I feel good about a particular ammo choice.

Quote Originally Posted by deepconceal View Post
    I have actually tested Hornady Critical Defense in a brick of ballistics gel myself and seen it fail to fully expand. I also tested Remington Golden Saber HPJ and found them very reliable and a very nice expansion. As a result of my testing these and other rounds, I carry the Remington Golden Saber HPJ.
    I don't know about your test conditions, experience, or equipment but I can tell you that I have watched many test videos and NEVER seen Hornady fail to expand. I have seen Remington get plugged with denem and fail to expand.
    Check out the following ballistic gel test for 9mm rounds. tnoutdoors9 has the best test, and Scubaoz is pretty good to.
    My personal choice is Hornady Critical DUTY, followed by Federal HST. Gold Dot, though very good, is hard to find.

9mm Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP Ammo Gel Test - YouTube
    9mm Remington Golden Saber 147 gr Ammo Gel Test - YouTube
    Hornady Critical DUTY 135gr +P 9mm - Ammo Test - YouTube
    Glock 23 Gen4
    Glock 42 Gen4

That's the load that I carried in my 9mm pistol when I had one.
    glockman99
    (Dann Fassnacht)
    Hoquiam, WA USA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links