Carrying chambered with kids

This is a discussion on Carrying chambered with kids within the Glock Talk and Discussion forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; Hey guys, specifically for those of you with young children. I debate a lot about carrying chambered vs not chambered. I feel just fine with ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Carrying chambered with kids

Hey guys, specifically for those of you with young children. I debate a lot about carrying chambered vs not chambered. I feel just fine with one chambered and feel there are many benefits to doing so but I have young kids and it freaks me out that a loaded gun can be pointed straight at them if one of them happens to walk up on my right side or grab onto my leg or something. I have a quality holster that covers the trigger etc but it still just bothers me and makes me want to carry Israeli style sometimes. Any comments?
    Last edited by Jordanjf86; 09-15-2013 at 02:00 PM.
    “A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare.”
    Proverbs‬ 15:1‬

I do not have children, but can understand your situation. My wife is a kindergarden teacher. Sometimes when we are out and about we run into her students and they always run over and hug her leg. I can see where that would make you uneasy. Not sure what you carry but when I first started carrying I used a 1911, hammer cocked and safety on. Maybe something like that with one in chamber hammer down?
    Israeli style could be ok if you practice a LOT. Plus the whole fending someone off with your weak side and trying to rack the slide one handed. Even with special "claw" sights to help could be difficult.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yeah I'm going to start carrying my M&P shield a lot more now. It does have a manual safety so Im thinking all should be ok.
    “A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare.”
    Proverbs‬ 15:1‬

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lineman475 View Post
    Israeli style could be ok if you practice a LOT. Plus the whole fending someone off with your weak side and trying to rack the slide one handed. Even with special "claw" sights to help could be difficult.
    What's Israeli style?
    Your mileage may vary. Batteries not included.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by LightSaber View Post
    What's Israeli style?
    Carrying with no round in the chamber.

don't want to shoot a kid point the gun in a safe direction. if you follow the rules of gun safety you won't have a problem
    slickrocktom likes this.
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

Agreed, follow the rules, treat every gun as loaded (especially if it is, lol)

That said, I have young children and do not chamber a round, but not because of them, it's just how I carry. I am confident in my ability that if I am attacked, I can rack and eliminate the threat just as quickly and effectively.

Carry the way that you are most comfortable and practice to handle your weapon accordantly.

It is all dependent on your situation. I will go both ways dependent of what I'm doing and where I am going. But what ever you do be sure to train the way you carry.

This problem took me a long time to work out. In the end, the solution was:

A. A holster with ample retention, especially when open carrying.
    B. Experience carrying for a while without a round chambered before trusting the holster that it indeed protects the trigger satisfactorily.
    C. Realizing that guns don't go off by themselves.

I now carry with a round chambered and feel 100% confident around my kids, etc. However, at night when it is on my nightstand I keep it in a MIC holster with NO round chambered in case one of my kids wakes up before I do or something and decides to break the rules we have about not touching it. (They are not strong enough to rack the slide.) That is pretty much the only time there is no round chambered. When it is on my person, there is always a round chambered.
    cford1921 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links