I just over lubricated my Glock. Now what?

This is a discussion on I just over lubricated my Glock. Now what? within the Glock Talk and Discussion forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; I'm a new Glock owner. I put about 300 rounds through my Glock 22, then decided to clean/lubricate it. I lubricated pretty much everything. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: I just over lubricated my Glock. Now what?

I'm a new Glock owner. I put about 300 rounds through my Glock 22, then decided to clean/lubricate it. I lubricated pretty much everything. I even lubricated my firing pin and parts of my lower. Then, I started watching youtube videos, and reading about how to clean Glocks, and found that I have lubricated my Glock too much. Needless to say, I feel like an idiot (no need to tell me).

I usually have pretty good Google foo, so I looked all over the internet about how to fix my over lubrication problem. All I can find is thousands of posts about not over lubricating, but nothing about how to fix it once you have over lubricated.

Can anyone tell me what to do? I haven't fired it since lubricating, so there's no buildup. Just a gun that's over lubricated.

Thanks

Just wipe down what you can and then go enjoy it, it will be fine. Just remember for the next time.

I'd get as much of the lube out as possible. If any lube made it's way into the striker channel, or into any part of the internal workings of the slide, I'd recommend a detail strip and swab out everywhere you can reach. Same goes for the frame. Take it apart, wipe it all dry and start over. Less is more.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

A little hoppes no 9 should do the trick. Its a great lube remover.
    Rock out with your Glock out!

Alcohol on a swab in the places you shouldn't lube.. firing pin, etc..
    GEN 3 Glock 29 SF, TruGlo TFO sights, Talon Grips
    GEN 4 Glock 30 MBS, TruGlo TFO sights, Talon Grips

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." Col. Jeff Cooper

Watch some youtube videos on how to detail strip a glock. It's no big deal. Just break it down as far as it needs and give it a good cleaning. And now you'll know how to detail strip your gun!
    PSmith likes this.
    LEO - GSSF Member - GLOCK Certified Armorer
    G17, G21, G22, G27

Junior Member PersonalDefense_User's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by longears View Post
    I'm a new Glock owner. I put about 300 rounds through my Glock 22, then decided to clean/lubricate it. I lubricated pretty much everything. I even lubricated my firing pin and parts of my lower. Then, I started watching youtube videos, and reading about how to clean Glocks, and found that I have lubricated my Glock too much. Needless to say, I feel like an idiot (no need to tell me).

I usually have pretty good Google foo, so I looked all over the internet about how to fix my over lubrication problem. All I can find is thousands of posts about not over lubricating, but nothing about how to fix it once you have over lubricated.

Can anyone tell me what to do? I haven't fired it since lubricating, so there's no buildup. Just a gun that's over lubricated.

Thanks
    Did you contact the OEM of the product you used and asked them what they recommend as a remover that is safe for your firearms material? Honestly, I have yet to see responses from a chemist/chemical analyst within this forum so most of the responses you get will 'assume' that you have used a general lubricant; as you did not inform the community at large, what you over lubricated your device with.

If this happened to us, we would do the following assuming you have an air compressor (A/C):

NOTE:
    Should you ever need to send your item back to Glock for warranty service, and Glock detects/determines that you have disassembled the device farther than a recommended field strip Glock may void your warranty.

Here we go ... Do Not, if at all possible, use any bare metal brushes --only use nylon, polypropylene and the like (toothbrush); if you notice, Glock provides a nylon type brush. You should ask yourself, why? If all you have are metal brushes i.e. brass, use a brass brush small enough to wrap it in a lint free cloth/patch in an effort to clear fouling from the Striker (Firing Pin) and EDP channel's.

Top off the (A/C) and have your nozzle ready

Field strip and spray the entire frame with 'Gun Scrubber'

periodically spray the frame to help dissipate the excess Gun Scrubber in effect blowing dry the frame. We would not allow Gun Scrubber to set on the polymer for a long period of time regardless of how safe the label states.

Completely strip the Slide: we would not use Gun Scrubber or any solvent on the plastic parts within the Slide Wipe the plastic parts as dry as you can with dry cloth; preferably lint free.

With the Slide completely disassembled, completely spray the Slide, inside and out, with Gun Scrubber, remembering to every so often use the A/C to blow dry. Additionally, you may experience some brass or metal shavings from your cartridges as well as fouling. We have not found a safe product to use within the Striker (Firing Pin) or the Extractors' Depressor Plunger (EDP) channel's that is guaranteed to not leave lint or other debris; regardless of how clean the material you decide to use. What ever you use to wipe/clean the fouling from within either of those channels, give those channels a good visual inspection for any left over lint or debris from the patch/cloth or pipe-cleaner you used.

Once you are certain every thing is bone dry of not only your over lubrication, but also, any chemical you used to eradicate the lubrication; carefully, while reading the Glock manual, lubricate and reassemble. Put springs back exactly the way you removed them

We may have missed a few things but, the community will probably chime in on this. Hope this helps. Here are some images we used in another post:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBB_Annotated.png 
Views:	5971 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	2864
    Last edited by PersonalDefense_User; 12-07-2013 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Spelling

Well from experience, not assuming, I have over oiled my glock, wiped off the excess, and shot the hell out of it with no issues. 17k+ rounds down and going strong.

Yup...clean it up and start over! Like they say, "No Blood...No Foul!" Just a slight oiling (occasionally) will keep running fine for years! I only break mine down completely and clean/oil mine 1x per year! All the other times, I just do a basic 'field-strip' to clean it!

I knew a guy (he was a distributor delivery guy) who ran 100K through a Gen II G-17, w/o cleaning or oiling it, just to see how long it would last! It took him 5 years to shoot that many rounds through it...but it never failed him...not one time! I'm not that crazy...and I prefer to take a lot better care of my toys...but it showed me just how reliable and tough these things really are!
    Last edited by Amishman44; 12-07-2013 at 09:19 PM.
    Stupid SHOULD Hurt!!!

~ Amishman44

Take it out for a nice diner and then take it to bed?

Or you could do what the others have told you, clean it again and lightly oil/grease.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links