Need some input on purchasing a bolt-action

This is a discussion on Need some input on purchasing a bolt-action within the Glock Talk and Discussion forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; We are having quite a little problem with some foxes and coyotes at our family farm. They have taken out a bunch of chickens, a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Need some input on purchasing a bolt-action

We are having quite a little problem with some foxes and coyotes at our family farm. They have taken out a bunch of chickens, a few ducks, some cats, and tore the hell out of one of our dogs. What I need is a 308 bolt-action. I am open to all opinions.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Trey.
    G21 - Under Construction

G19 4th Gen - EDC

"I hold it, that a little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical."
    Thomas Jefferson..

One of the best values I've seen is Savage 10/110, with Accutrigger. Comes in various calibers, w/scope combo...Wallyworld used to have them for about $400...Sweet handling, accurate and reasonable... Why do you need a .308? 30-06 would work, too...or .223. You can get all of them in a bolt action. Not sure what your state requires for minimum caliber, but some of the .17's would work, or .204...
    Hope you get those predators...Good luck...keep us posted...

Last edited by rowabi; 06-12-2012 at 08:20 AM.
    Glock softly and leave your big stick at home...
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rowabi

klf
    If this is only to be a utility gun then any Remmy, Savage, or Ruger will do fine. Take a good look at the used rifle rack. Another thing to keep in mind. Don't skimp on the scope or the mounts. A $1000 rifle with a $1000 scope on a $14 dollar mount will perform like a $14 rig. Like the poster above I would recommend the .223 caliber. The are available everywhere and cheep enough to actually shoot just for the hell of it and they will knock the crap out of a yotie. Enjoy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

How about a remington 700? Great 308 rifle for under a grand. Good for any game in the usa.
    john51277 and Gray_Wolf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by a3319afar View Post
    How about a remington 700? Great 308 rifle for under a grand. Good for any game in the usa.
    My exact recommendation also! I like the way you think!

Savage model 10 with accu trigger I have two of em! Great rifles at an affordable price!
    I may die in a ditch tonight but I'll be found in a bed of brass tomorrow!

Lots of good choices. The Savage is an underrated rifle and can be had pretty inexpensive at Walmarts (My Walmart actually carries rifles/shotguns). Any Ruger, Remmy, Winchester, S&W will do... If you're open to other calibers and mail order, in the catalog at cdnninvestments.com (page 52-53), they have a nice deal on synthetic stock Howa 1500's in .243 for $329, .270 or 30-06 for $339, and heavy barrel .223, 22-250 or .204 Ruger for $389. The Howa is made in Japan but is a very good rifle.

Buy Gun Accessories, Hi-Capacity Mags, Scopes, Gun Parts & More at CDNN Sports, Inc.
    Last edited by leper65; 06-11-2012 at 10:09 AM. Reason: add info
    G19 Gen 3, G20SF, G21SF, G22 RTF2, G30S, G38

Quote Originally Posted by leper65 View Post
    Lots of good choices. The Savage is an underrated rifle and can be had pretty inexpensive at Walmarts (My Walmart actually carries rifles/shotguns). Any Ruger, Remmy, Winchester, S&W will do... If you're open to other calibers and mail order, in the catalog at cdnninvestments.com (page 52-53), they have a nice deal on synthetic stock Howa 1500's in .243 for $329, .270 or 30-06 for $339, and heavy barrel .223, 22-250 or .204 Ruger for $389. The Howa is made in Japan but is a very good rifle.

Buy Gun Accessories, Hi-Capacity Mags, Scopes, Gun Parts & More at CDNN Sports, Inc.

+1 on the CDNN ad...good prices... Checked locally today...I guess the Savage combo's are about $469 @ Wallyworld....Great value in a very accurate rifle, with the accutrigger..Under 100 yds, a 30-30 will work..check out some pawn shops, see what's calling your name...lol

Last edited by rowabi; 06-12-2012 at 08:21 AM.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rowabi

Some 'yote pics would be great...lol...let us know what you decide on...

rowabi

I have a lot of research to do. I will let y'all know what I decide.
    G21 - Under Construction

G19 4th Gen - EDC

"I hold it, that a little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical."
    Thomas Jefferson..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links