Noob builder needs direction

This is a discussion on Noob builder needs direction within the Glock Talk and Discussion forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; Hi all! (First post with you from an old rancher who needs a parts 'guide'.) Over the years I have done every variation of Springfield ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By EMont

Thread: Noob builder needs direction

Hi all! (First post with you from an old rancher who needs a parts 'guide'.)

Over the years I have done every variation of Springfield 1911s, then fixed on XDs, then the M&PL, and now I bought some Glock parts. (I love the idea of their unlimited options) Bought a stripped, FO-sighted, L.W. 6" slide w/9mm KKM. Bought a stock GEN3 lower - complete. So I'm looking to complete the upper, with advice ... and mod the lower, with advice.

With limited time or ability (computer challenged), the obvious simple fill to the upper appears to be an $85 pack of internals. (who'd guess there are 13 internal parts to the slide?) I can polish, but does a hi-quality upper mean I need consider obvious improvements for function or reliability. Extractor? Firing pin?

And the lower is hard to diagnose without a functioning upper. Polishing and springs are obvious. Replace the grenade grip and finger teats with tape. Would advice be to replace anything in particular?

Maybe its too much to ask (... sorry) and I just need to start stock, dress them, and replace as the need appears. What's the verdict from the experienced, learned forum Glock-ophiles?

Whatever you have to offer, I would appreciate. I can see the Glock has a unique and interesting bunch of owners.

Happy Trails!

Wanted to welcome you to the forum. Don't know enough about modding to give you worthy advice, but there's plenty of crafty people who can. What you're doing sounds like fun, but only if you know what you're doing. Good luck.
    Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.

Kierkegaard

Speak softly and carry a Glock and something sharp and pointy.

Partial Quote- Teddy Roosevelt

Thanks fella ~

I have wanted back into Glockdom since I sold a race 17L years ago. I am an admitted hi-cap freak (S-n-P) but lately I have come to admit I am more basically a mechanic. Maybe not be able to drive them the best, but love to work on them until they sing.

Nothing about a Glock seems intimidating ... its just wasteful to buy parts and throw them away, esp. when I got into this so cheaply. But, from the history of stock Glocks, I imagine much of the aftermarket is fluff unless it is obviously personally enjoyed, such as the takedown bar (newer, enhanced bars look like a must have for me) And there will be other items I am sure.

I will try to get back more often and read about the valued mods. Til then ...

Happy Trails!
    cigarrodog likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

... and now I see I may have posted my request on the wrong link. Maybe more appropriate for GLOCK ACCESSORIES. I will read on. Thanks again!

You're welcome. Just took a peek at the menu. The place you said to post sounds right.
    Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.

Kierkegaard

Speak softly and carry a Glock and something sharp and pointy.

Partial Quote- Teddy Roosevelt

I'd think you need to put the gun together first and see how things go when you shoot it, if anything would need to get tweaked you'd know.

From what I can see the possibilities are plentiful. If you can bone up a bit on computer skills then I would suggest youtube.com you can search for just about anything on there and watch videos on detailed breakdowns and assemblies. Not to mention being able to see different manufacturers options in action before you buy. I hope that helps a little bit and best of luck in your new build! Be sure to give us a range report when you get it completed!

Sponsored Links