Recoil direction

Recoil direction

This is a discussion on Recoil direction within the Glock Talk and Discussion forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; I was speaking with a FFL about a Glock 23 (.40), during the discussion, he mentioned that both a 9mm and a .45's recoil motion ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Recoil direction

Recoil direction

I was speaking with a FFL about a Glock 23 (.40), during the discussion, he mentioned that both a 9mm and a .45's recoil motion is back towards the shooter, allowing the recoil to be absorbed in the arms, while a .40's recoil is more vertical, causing it to recoil up. His point was that a 2nd shot from a 9mm and a .45 were easier to get back on target than that of a .40.
    Is he full of it?
    Is this true in some guns and not others?

If it were true of a sw40 then why not a 10mm? I can believe it if the angle of the grip was different. Look at an old colt 45 the angle of the grip was designed to flip the barrel up, where say a sw629 is designed to put more recoil straight back into the hand and wrist. Geometry is still alive and well today as it use to be.

So, Diver, understanding what you said, that the angle of handle has more influence in determining the direction of the recoil, then the size of the caliber. That makes sense. And that being true, it makes sense that the recoil direction will very from gun to gun, not caliber to caliber. Although caliber to caliber, will of course, affect the amount of recoil (goes without saying).

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

Is he full of it?
    lets check the meter......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.png 
Views:	151 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	4199

Glocks (all) have the same low center of recoil. muzzle weight shops muzzle flip
    Last edited by barstoolguru; 05-28-2014 at 05:09 PM.
    maestromsv likes this.
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

I have a 27 and a 23 and enjoy shooting them more and have a quicker 2nd shot than my 30. That's just me. Everyone is different.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

I sure notice the difference between a G17 and a G33, with the G41 somewhere in between
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bbunn32 View Post
    I was speaking with a FFL about a Glock 23 (.40), during the discussion, he mentioned that both a 9mm and a .45's recoil motion is back towards the shooter, allowing the recoil to be absorbed in the arms, while a .40's recoil is more vertical, causing it to recoil up. His point was that a 2nd shot from a 9mm and a .45 were easier to get back on target than that of a .40.
    Is he full of it?
    Is this true in some guns and not others?
    That's interesting.

I can't comment, cause both my guns are .45 30s's.
    I have no recoil problems.

Your question is interesting though. I come back on target pretty fast with my 30s. I can't really understand any reason it wouldn't be the same for a .40.

I'm with BSG on the BS factor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    "The beauty of the second amendment is, it will not be needed until they try to take it".

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Daily to give free food to animals in shelters and rescue's.

I've shot all 3 calibers in Glock pistols. 40 does have harsher recoil than 9mm and 45. Most people will tell you that follow up shots are quicker with a 9 because it doesn't recoil as much. I've found with a proper grip the 40 doesn't seem much different to me though. With a bad grip the 40 will punish you more than a 9 will. My wife has shot 9mm and 40 out of our Glocks and she said that she couldn't tell much difference between the two. I'd shoot all three before buying if possible to determine what you like. Just remember that a good grip is key to recoil control.
    “A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare.”
    Proverbs‬ 15:1‬

In my opinion.... with a Glock, so long as you grip each gun the same way, you should get the same recoil movement. It will just be a bit snappier with the .40 & .357 Sig.
    Jordanjf86 likes this.
    You can't blame people for wanting to protect themselves, as they see the reality of law enforcement: that law is enforced only after the law shows up. That can be a problem if you're already dead.” Greg Gutfeld / Fox News

Quote Originally Posted by David2014 View Post
    In my opinion.... with a Glock, so long as you grip each gun the same way, you should get the same recoil movement. It will just be a bit snappier with the .40 & .357 Sig.
    Well said. I agree.
    “A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare.”
    Proverbs‬ 15:1‬

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links