G23 Gen4 - Slide doesn't stay back after last round

This is a discussion on G23 Gen4 - Slide doesn't stay back after last round within the Glock Troubleshooting and Maintenance forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; Hey everyone. I'm the proud owner of a brand new GLOCK 23 Gen4. So far it's a great pistol and I love it. I had ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey everyone.

I'm the proud owner of a brand new GLOCK 23 Gen4. So far it's a great pistol and I love it. I had it to the range twice and have put about 350 rounds through it. So far, the only issue is that the last time I had it at the range, on two occasions, the slide did not stay back after firing the last round. I didn't notice until I pulled the trigger and "click". I thought it was a misfire but upon opening the slide, I discovered that there were no more rounds left. Like I said, this has happened twice. But it's a brand new pistol and I cleaned it meticulously after the first use.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
    Erich

First of all, congrats on your 23. It is a fine pistol and one of my favorites.

Now to your question. I am assuming you are a right handed shooter. Without watching you shoot, my guess is you are riding the slide stop lever with your right thumb. It is a common problem, you just need to re-adjust your grip. Have another experienced shooter shoot your gun to determine if problem is human or gun.

Good luck.

Thanks for the response.

What you say makes sense and is a possibility. I haven't shot it since though so I can't say yet. Another friend of mine suggested that I may be "limp wristing it". I'm not really sure what this is??

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

Limp wristing occurs when there is not enough energy to move the slide back far enough relative to the frame to cycle the action. This is caused by an improper grip or not enough grip pressure. I see this with new shooters who do not grip the gun high enough, in other words leave a small gap between the shooting hand and the top of the grip. This causes a whipping effect, or flipping, in the which the muzzle rises higher than normal. THe slide can't release all of the energy from the recoil spring. Normally a limp wristing occurance results in an ejected casing not clearing the side in time causing a failure to eject.

Just re-adjust grip and grip pressure. Spend some time dry firing your gun. This is one of the best ways to train yourself on grip and grip pressure. Spend 5-10 minutes several times a week and you will be surprised at your results next trip to the range.
    Firearms Instructor

If it happens next time mark the mag could be the spring.
    Last edited by Reconwork; 04-08-2012 at 07:28 PM.

I've experienced that twice on my G27 when I went out Saturday. I marked the mags after the first time and it didn't consistently happen on the same mag. I know I didn't limp wrist it either. However I did notice that it consistently happened on the last mag being empty. 2 Mags 3 rounds each, fire 3, reload fire 3, and then it would not lock back. I am wondering if it is a grip issue. I could be blocking the slide release from fully engaging.

PS welcome to the forum biggems1 and congrats on your new G23.
    Last edited by ZombieKiller57; 04-08-2012 at 08:22 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Welcome to the forum. I had that problem the first couple of times that I shot my g20. It was my thumb depressing the slide release (it was just ever so slightly). Now I have been working on my grip and the extended slide release that seems to help.
    G21 - Under Construction

G19 4th Gen - EDC

"I hold it, that a little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical."
    Thomas Jefferson..

The one time it pays to be a south paw. Thank you Thank you.
    Congrats on the glock. May you two live happily ever after.
    DPMS A.R 15
    Glock 19
    Mossberg Maverick 88
    Ruger 10/22

That happens to me when I have my thumb on the side release.

Quote Originally Posted by glockanista View Post
    First of all, congrats on your 23. It is a fine pistol and one of my favorites.

Now to your question. I am assuming you are a right handed shooter. Without watching you shoot, my guess is you are riding the slide stop lever with your right thumb. It is a common problem, you just need to re-adjust your grip. Have another experienced shooter shoot your gun to determine if problem is human or gun.

Good luck.
    What he said !

Only a Biker knows why a Dog hangs his head out the window.

G29SF, G20SF, G30SF, G36, G21SF RTF2, G32 GEN 4, G33, G19

NRA Life Member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links