Glock 48 - Cannot hit target worth a damn.

This is a discussion on Glock 48 - Cannot hit target worth a damn. within the Glock Troubleshooting and Maintenance forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; Extremely new to pistols and target shooting. Background.... I have shot maybe 300 rounds in my lifetime with .22’s and a Sig Sauer P226 9 ...

TAS

Extremely new to pistols and target shooting.

Background....
    I have shot maybe 300 rounds in my lifetime with .22’s and a Sig Sauer P226 9 mm.
    I can usually get “on paper“ at 15 -25 ft with reasonable groupings.

The problem....
    I bought a G48 a while ago and received it last week (Canadian Regulations require lengthy vetting).
    Took the G48 to the range and struggled to get on paper anywhere over 15 ft. But, some magazine loads my accuracy was better then other magazine loads. I started to wonder is everything ok with the pistol? I cleaned it tonight and took some pictures. Note the barrel is at a strange angle when the slide is retracted.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1F1BFB2E-AA9F-40CD-93DC-F21326095CAE.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	18859
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11CB7D12-DAE3-4D88-A609-45D30EDDF8FA.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	18861

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for any help received

The barrel angle ...normal. Some people struggle shooting a Glock for the first time. Prior to the change I found changing the trigger to an Overwatch DAT trigger with a Double Diamond connector made my 43x a completely different firearm. With the change I went from not real accurate,(was hitting the target in scattered group) to a pretty respectful grouping. ...mostly around the 8 and 9 ring ....the bulls eyes came after more practice.. Before you change any parts remember ....The sights may need adjustment,,,,also, Glock sights with the U rear takes a while to get use to for many ...especially a newer shooter with only 3 dot experience on their firearms. With only 300 rds ever shoot, don;t worry about hitting the bullseye right now....learn proper stance, same with your grip, ...learn the sight aliment, try various ammo,. DO NOT BE ashamed to get lessons!.....Not one person started off shooting out the 10 ring the first few times they shot.
    Last edited by Mike_50; 08-27-2020 at 08:56 AM.

I have the same issue with my G17C. My shots were really all over the place. But with a different firearm, a G17 Gen 4, my groupings were good. So I gathered that it must be the gun. So over the weekend we tried to "zero" in the factory sights of my G17C. I have this adjustable polymer factory sights. The groupings did improve. But my front sight has to be a bit higher than the rear sights when you aim, and not aligned as you would normally have it. I am also wondering why.

Try to "zero" your sights and let us know if that will resolve the issue.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

I replaced my OEM Glock sights to TruGlow fiber optic sights...my old eyes like these much more. Shooting my Glock as well as my CZ P-07 or Springfield XDe is still a work in progress. Even though I have done the trigger and connector change out and did the polishing the internals on the 43x, after doing the same to the other firearms I shoot them better. I grew up shooting 1911s and favor hammer fired ...especially in S/A. Firearm size and grip angel, grip material, backstrap size, long slide vs short slide....these are things that contribute to accuracy also. There are some firearms people love , but they are not what people are most efficient with. For me, the 43x is a very comfortable firearm to carry and shoot. It and the 48 are the only grip angels of any Glock I find comfortable. Other Glock owners that shoot my 43x are much more accurate than I am, so I know it is up to me to adjust to the gun.....there is no need to look for any gunsmithing to do on it to improve my shooting. Once you have the sights correctly aligned, mastered the stance and grip to be shooting in the center of the target and not having the target look like you used a 12 gauge....you work on the POA up or down to correct your vertical target strikes. Also....try various ammo. This can be a factor, but with today's factory ammo, it is not as much of a variation in accuracy as many want to claim.

Hi Mike,

I am contemplating on changing my factory sights to a better one. Question in, how do you "zero" fiber optic sights? Or they are just plug & play? I am new to the gun world and would appreciate feedback from you guys.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Miami View Post
    Hi Mike,

I am contemplating on changing my factory sights to a better one. Question in, how do you "zero" fiber optic sights? Or they are just plug & play? I am new to the gun world and would appreciate feedback from you guys.

Thanks.
    Just install the front sight as there is no adjustment...then center the rear sight. There's probably more of a exact science to it, but for the rear sight this is what I do...when I find the sight position I am hitting consistently in the bullseye...then apply the locktite and tighten the set screw. You have to remember though, as you shoot more, your grip and stance will change...(Hopefully to the correct position) and re adjustment becomes necessary.

Eight yards? You mean you can't even 'get on paper' at eight yards! Most experienced pistoleros don't even bother to take a definite sight picture at eight yards. Heck, I know that I haven't bothered to consciously aim at, or inside of eight yards in (What?) at least the past three decades, and I always blow target centers out! You need to get yourself some professional pistol training; and, then, you need to start burning ammunition and practicing a lot–a whole lot!

Here, at least in the United States, this is where to start looking for the pistol training you seem to so desperately need: https://www.nrainstructors.org/search.aspx. I'm not 'dumping' on you; heck, everybody needs to start somewhere, and the NRA's (or the Canadian equivalent's) pistol training courses are one of the best places for you to get the sort of pistol handling and pistol shooting experience that you so obviously need.

Relax, too! That tilted barrel on you G48 is fine. This is the correct way for Glock's modified (linkless/Browning) semi-locked barrel to look whenever the slide is all the way back.

(By the way, you should learn how to do George Harris' WALL DRILL. This is one of the pistol shooting exercises that I encourage all of my own pistol shooting students to learn, and practice often.)
    Stupidity Is The Most Common Form Of Communicable Human Disease; But, Unfortunately, It Appears To Be As Highly Contagious As It Is Predominantly Incurable!

Most experienced pistoleros don't even bother to take a definite sight picture at eight yards. Heck, I know that I haven't bothered to consciously aim at, or inside of eight yards in (What?) at least the past three decades, and I always blow target centers out! You need to get yourself some professional pistol training; and, then, you need to start burning ammunition and practicing a lot–a whole lot!

Agreed as I said the same in earlier post. Do not be ashamed to get professional instructions. Assigned to security and Armed Forces Police..... I was fortunate to have had the navy as an opportunity to get instructions and use of ranges and free ammo ....way back in the 70s and 80s. Even after my military time, I learned how to improve on my stance and target acquisition with various range courses and getting to know many other range members. There are not many shooters that can not learn something new or a better !

Sponsored Links