Gen 4 Glock 20 possible feeding issues

This is a discussion on Gen 4 Glock 20 possible feeding issues within the Glock Troubleshooting and Maintenance forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; Hey all, I've searched on the internet for my specific issue but can't seem to find anything about it. I'm hoping I can get some ...

Hey all, I've searched on the internet for my specific issue but can't seem to find anything about it. I'm hoping I can get some insight as to what to do about this. I recently bought my second Glock, I've carried a 21 for about 25 years now. Got to shoot it today for the first time and had it in my Micro Conversion Kit. The issue I'm having is when I put the magazine in, the first round pops up quite a bit so it's no longer aligned with the chamber. The only safe way I could chamber a round was to have the slide closed, put in the magazine, then chamber a round. It fed two different brands of ammo just fine, I'm just curious as to why the first round pops up so much. I tried loading it both in and out of the MCK and it did the same thing multiple times. My 21 has never had this issue and I'm used to slamming the magazines in. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Over 60 views and NO ONE has had this issue or cares to chime in?

OK, I’ll give it a try: First of all I should tell you that I’ve been shooting and working on pistols, now, for more than a half century. Specific to this issue, I’ve worked on Glock pistols for the past 17 years now; and, during this time, I’ve encountered just about every problem that can be had with a Glock.

Let me offer this: Glocks are cheap, easily manufactured pistols, AND there is always a lot of mechanical slop in the mechanism, as well as between the frame, slide, and magazine. (Sorry, Glockeroos, but that is the unvarnished truth.) Like you I have also carried one or another of my extensively reworked third generation Model G21’s for the past 15 years. Originally I purchased both G21’s back in the early 20’s; they were both fitted with the old #4256 trigger bars. When they were purchased neither pistol was worth the price of the plastic the frames are made out of—They were both highly unreliable, and I would have never carried either one for self-defense.

I was even dismissed from an IDPA match when one of the judges noticed that my G21’s slide wasn’t returning to battery consistently, and he didn’t want me to pose a threat to either myself, or other line shooters! As for myself? Certified or otherwise, I didn’t want to become a Glock Armorer; instead, I was forced to learn both the Glock pistol, its trigger mechanism, and the infuriating idiosyncrasies that always seem to exist between metal and plastic.

Rather quickly I learned to NEVER load up a Glock magazine to its full capacity. Instead, I always load one round down in order to assure 100% feeding reliability. I have also learned that Glock magazine springs are supplied, on bid, by outside contractors (or at least they were the last time I checked several years ago). Consequently, I always immediately change out the springs on any new Glock magazine I have to high tensile strength (and often +5% more powerful) Wolff Gunsprings.

You have not said whether or not this top round problem you are experiencing occurs with more than one magazine? So I have to limit this reply to what is happening with only a single magazine–Yes? The other thing I would like to know is whether or not this problem involves either (or both) a brand new and only slightly used pistol, and/or magazine?

If it occurs with only one magazine I’ll try to walk you through how to properly adjust the top coil on a Glock magazine spring; just be aware that damaged or loose feed lips might also be involved. (This is ‘internet gunsmithing’, and some things just have to be assumed, OK.)

Right now you need to provide more information, and go into more complete detail in order for us to have any hope of solving this problem via the internet.
    Stupidity Is The Most Common Form Of Communicable Human Disease; But, Unfortunately, It Appears To Be As Highly Contagious As It Is Predominantly Incurable!

Sponsored Links