Cycling issue with gen 4 G17. NEED HELP PLEASE!

This is a discussion on Cycling issue with gen 4 G17. NEED HELP PLEASE! within the Glock Troubleshooting and Maintenance forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; I joined the forum to get some help. I have a Gen 4 G17, I have been shooting it for two weeks or so stock. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Cycling issue with gen 4 G17. NEED HELP PLEASE!

I joined the forum to get some help. I have a Gen 4 G17, I have been shooting it for two weeks or so stock. I came across
    a Lone Wolf Barrel that is thread and added their compensator. First time shooting with the new barrel I was getting a
    lot of stove pipes and failures to lock back at the end of a mag. I tried several different grips to eliminate "limp wristing"
    and then tried different types of ammo as well, still the same problem occurred. The only thing I can think of is, the springs
    need to be lighter to help the slide make a full cycle. Please help guys! I want to turn this gun into and IDPA shooting machine.
    If anyone has on I am all ears and opened minded to suggestions. Here is a picture of the gun with longer barrel and compensator,
    the light is from another gun just happened to be the only picture I had.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G17.jpg 
Views:	17548 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	2205

sounds like the compensator is robbing gun of recoil and not allowing the slide to kick back hard enough. you might need a lighter RSA
    dave19113 and slickrocktom like this.
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

The Glock requires a balance of gasses to shoot (and eject) properly. Though Glocks are versatile, they in my opinion have some short tolerance areas (that's not bad - just something that must be kept in mind), and this model is one. There's some logic to smaller calibers and less tolerance.

I would remove the compensator and verify that's your issue - you should know what is causing the issue, before you add more to the mix. You have verified it shot correctly prior.

Since a compensator is affecting gasses, which the gun cycle is dependent, that would be your cause I'm 99% sure. You are probably on the correct path regarding the spring, but you will likely have to experiment (I can argue a heavier spring but I don't have experience with the G17). The spring also may not be the only thing to fine tune. That's why isolating what each thing does, will help going forward.
    Last edited by NName591; 06-12-2013 at 09:20 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

Thanks guys, I watched some videos and noticed when I installed the extended slide release the spring was on top of the pin instead of under. I fixed this which probably caused the problem of not locking back, which leaves just the stove piping issue. I will try the Lone Wolf barrel with out the compensator and get back to you guys. I am assuming that RSA is Recoil Spring Assembly. I want to put a SS guide rod if the compensator does prove to be the problem I will probably go down to 15# (17# is stock) first and see what happens.

I agree with the tight tolerances which is why I have left my EDC stock with the exception of sights.

Thanks for the help guys.

I see you mention shooting IDPA... Just remember they have minimum power factor requirements so if you are shooting downloaded rounds you may not be legal.

It seems like by the look of your gun you will be wanting to shoot IPSC or 3 gun with the comp and all....
    G21SF
    G22
    G23
    G18....maybe??
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And I'm not really sure that any type of compensator is legal for IDPA. You'd better check on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by jdw174 View Post
    And I'm not really sure that any type of compensator is legal for IDPA. You'd better check on that one.
    Yea... I was thinking the same....
    G21SF
    G22
    G23
    G18....maybe??
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have not read the rules to shooting on the IDPA, I do like the idea of 3 gun. Just starting to research info on the subject matter, but that is why I am here to learn from those who know more than me.

I have not read the rules to shooting on the IDPA, I do like the idea of 3 gun. Just starting to research info on the subject matter, but that is why I am here to learn from those who know more than me.[/QUOTE]

Havnt shot IDPA in a few years but Im sure the rules havnt changed too much...

The down and dirty rules are it was designed around defensive pistol. Guys like Bill Wilson and a few others wanted a sport where you can compete like you would for a gunfight. They mimck stages to be senarios that you could encounter in everyday happening.

As a result holsters, guns are supposed to be pretty much "stock". That is a funny word because there are certain areas that can be tweaked but pretty much race guns with compensators or longer barrels than 5" dont fall into the category.

HERES A CLIP FROM THE SITE

Self defense and standard exercises are the basis for all IDPA Matches, but the layout, course of fire and exercise details can differ greatly from match to match. Learn more about what makes IDPA matches unique.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE IDPA MATCH FORMAT

Courses fall into two categories: Self-defense scenarios or Standard exercises. The self-defense scenarios are simulations of actual or possible “real world” confrontations. These scenarios typically require shots from 3 - 20 yards and often require the shooter to change firing points and shoot from awkward positions. Standard exercises do not attempt to simulate a potential threat situation but are designed to test specific shooting and gun handling skills. IDPA matches offer diversity and truly test both accuracy and speed. Physical condition has very little to do with your performance in an IDPA match.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Self Defense Format

Most courses of fire in IDPA matches fall into this format. IDPA is based on “defensive shooting” and therefore the match designers try to simulate scenarios where you would be forced into using your gun to defend your life or others. Common stages found in matches involve you being caught in a convenience store robbery, a home invasion, car jacking, ATM/bank robbery and more. Many scenarios are drawn from newspaper and TV reports. Others are drawn form the stage designer’s imagination in which worst case scenarios are encountered while performing ordinary, everyday tasks or errands.

Self defense stages will find you having to engage targets from awkward or difficult positions. You might find yourself having to engage targets from inside a car or from beside it, having to move from point to point while shooting, jumping up from a recliner or bed during a “home invasion” or shooting while seated. The possibilities change with every match. You might not even draw from a holster although that comprises the majority of the stages you will see. You could draw your gun from a glove box, a nightstand drawer, under a counter or from a bag or case. All of this combines to keep theses stages unique and challenging for each match.

Standard Exercise Format

In standard exercise stages you are required to perform the basic components of shooting such as drawing the gun, sight alignment and trigger control with out the more complex decisions and movements required in a self defensive stage.

The standard exercises are usually designed with minimal targets and require little or no movement. The key is to test specific items such as strong hand only shooting, Weak hand only shooting, simple draw and fire, accuracy at short and long ranges and basic movement while shooting.

These standard exercises help the competitor to gauge their skill level and note areas that they might need to work on improvement. They provide a base line that in important in the continued development of the core skills that not only will elevate your match performance but carry over into your daily life should you ever have to use a gun in self defense.

IDPA Divisions
    CDP

Custom Defensive Pistol Division - This is what I shot

ESP

Enhanced Service Pistol Division

SSP

Stock Service Pistol Division

SSR

Stock Service Revolver Division

ESR

Enhanced Service Revolver Division

BUG

Back-Up Gun Division
    G21SF
    G22
    G23
    G18....maybe??

There is also GSSF The Glock Shooting Sports Foundation.........

I shot alot of that too....lots of fun...
    G21SF
    G22
    G23
    G18....maybe??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links