Glock 20 Slide not Locking Back.

This is a discussion on Glock 20 Slide not Locking Back. within the Glock Troubleshooting and Maintenance forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; So I picked up a Glock 20 today from a fella. He said he had only ran 45 bullets through it and had the other ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By downeyg

Thread: Glock 20 Slide not Locking Back.

So I picked up a Glock 20 today from a fella. He said he had only ran 45 bullets through it and had the other 5 and a fresh box of 50 to add in. I checked it over looked very very clean, and gun is only 3-4 months old so I believe him on that part. I noticed after filling up a mag and running it through that the slide never locked when it ran out of bullets. At first I thought it was a F2F but it did it on both mags. I assume these are new mags that came with gun b/c they are super clean and not scratched whatsoever. Even cocking the gun with empty mags it doesn't lock, I know it's not my grip as my thumb doesn't even get close to it. I can tell that when cocking it and looking inside the slide that the slide release tab is falling down below the mag tab that is supposed to lock it in. I know that a round stops this from happening but when it's empty it's supposed to lock. If you pull the slide all the way back and push down on the mag follower with a thumb and release the slide it locks. Sometimes it will hold 1-2 slide releases but then falls back down under the mag stop part again thus failing to lock. The gun is so clean that I don't think any stock parts should be worn out. He did have a stipple job and ghost trigger installed, but from what I can tell everything is back installed correctly. It's almost as if the mags springs are too tight and they are pushing the followers up to the right making it just miss the slide lock tab. That or the slide lock tab is not long enough to catch properly to the mag tabs. Just wondering if anyone else has ever seen this. I can't find much on it other than "its your grip your thumb is hitting the slide stop" but I know thats not the problem. I'm fairly new to Glocks, but it's like any other gun just parts that can be assembled. Any help would be lovely. Thanks!!

There are several possibilities. First disassemble the gun. With the slide off, check that the slide stop moves up and down freely. See if it binds on the way up (under slight spring pressure), it may be damaged. If the slide stop is okay, the magazines are suspect. The springs could be weak or the followers could be messed up. Put an empty magazine in the frame with the slide off. Does the follower push the slide stop up? If not, the magazine springs could be weak. The followers could be damaged. The followers could be the wrong revision for the magazine body and they may not function properly.
    NName591 likes this.

More than likely the slide stop was reinstalled incorrectly.
    With the slide off the frame, does the stop snap back down into place when lifted?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

The slide stop is in correctly but IMO is very loose left to right. What I'm trying to explain the best I can in words is that with the slide off and a mag in the mag follower just pushes the slide stop tab to the left and the tab on the follower is then above the tab on the slide stop and it never engages unless you manually pop the follower back down with a finger. Even then it only holds 1-2 cycles while empty before sliding back left and falling below the follower tab. I hope I explained that right. Im sure these are the mags that came with the new gun and they are still strong and aren't damaged whatsoever. I think it may be the slide stop springs. Im going to replace that asap and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by mvician View Post
    More than likely the slide stop was reinstalled incorrectly.
    With the slide off the frame, does the stop snap back down into place when lifted?
    I hate to admit it but he is probably right (biting tongue) if the slide lock lever is install with the spring UNDER the locking block it won't act right. another thing to look at is the follower in the mag and make use its making contact with the slide lock pushing it up
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

I can in words is that with the slide off and a mag
    this is not right, sounds damaged-like it is too open (not grabbing the frame tightly)
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

Sponsored Links