Proper cleaning procedure and tools for the Slides' channels and internal parts. - Page 2

Proper cleaning procedure and tools for the Slides' channels and internal parts.

This is a discussion on Proper cleaning procedure and tools for the Slides' channels and internal parts. within the Glock Troubleshooting and Maintenance forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; Originally Posted by barstoolguru if you really want them clean Glocks are dishwasher safe (top rack only) There is no way on earth, or in ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Proper cleaning procedure and tools for the Slides' channels and internal parts.

Junior Member PersonalDefense_User's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    if you really want them clean Glocks are dishwasher safe (top rack only)
    There is no way on earth, or in He77, that I am subjecting my firearm to a dishwasher cycle.
    DocHolliday likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PersonalDefense_User View Post
    It appears we are not being fully understood. Within this post our concern are the 'Channel(s)'; as in the following:

Striker 'Channel'
    Extractor Depressor Plunger 'Channel'

Sorry we don't have a clearer images:
    Attachment 2797

Attachment 2799

I still stand with the Hoppe's and Gun Scrubber, although in this case, using the tube on the Gun Scrubber will most likely blast out any crud inside those channels without the Hoppe's. If you insist on hand scrubbing, the smallest nylon bristle bore brush you can find should get the job done. I've used Brake Drum Cleaner and Carburetor Cleaner on steel gun parts in place of Gun Scrubber. I recommend using compressed air afterwards to blow out any leftover chunks and dry the metal.
    Last edited by jdw174; 11-25-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdw174 View Post
    I still stand with the Hoppe's and Gun Scrubber, although in this case, using the tube on the Gun Scrubber will most likely blast out any crud inside those channels without the Hoppe's. If you insist on hand scrubbing, the smallest nylon bristle bore brush you can find should get the job done. I've used Brake Drum Cleaner and Carburetor Cleaner on steel gun parts in place of Gun Scrubber. I recommend using compressed air afterwards to blow out any leftover chunks and dry the metal.
    We were initially thinking what you posted above, but if you look at this closer (Striker Channel), the rear has a wide opening, the breach face has a small opening. If for whatever reason, the 'channel' starts to retain brass and/or other shavings, the normal force of an aerosol can along with its provided chemical may not be enough to free the debris deeply seated into any particular corner or crevice (channel side of the breach face). We have already experienced dust, lint and/or some form of tiny grit in the Striker channel; not entirely sure if we got it all out.

Suffice it to say, post cleaning our Gen4 devices, while holding the Slide (muzzle down), and simultaneously pressing and holding down on the 'Firing Pin Safety', we shake the slide up and down; the firing pin does move freely; the same free movement is experienced when placing slide (muzzle down) on a table,pulling rearward on the lug of the firing pin to its latched position, then pressing in on the 'Firing Pin Safety'. The firing pin falls down unimpeded.

However, should any device start to retain and build up undetected debris on the Striker Channel side of the breach face, the Stikers' function may be somewhat impeded. Remember, Murphys' Law is always cocked and locked. :-)

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

Hold the slide muzzle up.....stick the tube in the rear of the striker channel and let it fly. It will back flush out the rear.

help me out what is the striker channel?

figured it out... no such thing
    Last edited by barstoolguru; 11-29-2013 at 12:00 PM.
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

Hold the slide muzzle up.....stick the tube in the rear of the striker channel and let it fly. It will back flush out the rear.
    Heh, obviously that will work during routine cleaning It is the retention of crud (possibly dried), in the corners during extended intervals that we are focused on. As we understand it, 'no' lubrication is to be used within the 'Striker Channel'. That said, during extended intervals of not cleaning, lint and other particles accumulate. Factor in moisture, sooner or later the crud will cake-up and perhaps harden to a point where you may need a pik/bristles; as the aerosol may not have enough PSI or the contents may not work as well, or as fast, on the crud in its hardened state. Mind you, we are not talking about total neglect. We have already found the need to use a pik to free-up some brass that found its way into the 'Striker Channel'.

We are not second guessing Glocks' reason for not using lubricants in these 'Channels', but we are wondering why they don't publicize a way to get these areas maintained without calling in an Armorer and without voiding the warranty.

In any case, it looks like great minds think alike: Gun Scrubber, Brake cleaner, and if available, compressed air for the unfinished metal and 'Slide Channels'. Wipe down or replace the plastic items and call it a day.We will be on the hunt for a brush that can fit in those 'Channels' to break free any stubborn debris.

We will continue to monitor this thread and add any positive findings.
    PSmith likes this.

I would imagine someone, somewhere, makes a .17 caliber cleaning brush. That may work. I read a review of these products a couple of days ago on another site. The author thought very highly of their products. Maybe it will interest you. The KG-1, KG-2, KG-3, and KG-12 products might be what you need. I haven't used them, but may in the future.

http://www.kgcoatings.com/
    Last edited by jdw174; 11-26-2013 at 05:11 AM.

That’s why once a year I wash the action in Dawn soap and warm water. Really slosh it around. Then rise in warm water, blow out with compressed air and use hair dryer on warm (NOT hot) setting to dry. I’ve sometimes flushed out some really strange stuff from sand grit to saw dust and old lint scales.
    Regardless of what that lint test showed ...lint in a high humidity and variable temperature environment will freeze an action. (Think lint inside action for 6-9 months, high RH and damp lint, temps from room temperature to -10 degrees. Hmmm, damp lint at zero degrees in the snow...)
    Just saying be safe wash out your action yearly...
    When seconds count ...police are only minutes away!
    PSmith, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor, retired
    Glock 19c gen 3, Lone Wolf Barrel, Advantage Tactical Sights, ClipDraw
    ~ FREEDOM ~ First, Last and Always...

I would imagine someone, somewhere, makes a .17 caliber cleaning brush. That may work. I read a review of these products a couple of days ago on another site. The author thought very highly of their products. Maybe it will interest you. The KG-1, KG-2, KG-3, and KG-12 products might be what you need. I haven't used them, but may in the future.

Metal Protective Coating | Firearm Lubricants | Industrial Coatings
    Thanks for that jdw. However, we are more focused on the hardware (tools) to use, with regard to those aforementioned 'Channels'. We are very close to that goal and will keep this thread alive until we are satisfied. Keywords for what we want:

"tube brush" with the bristles being as sturdy as a med/hard toothbrush. Would prefer the brush have a tapered/rounded tip with bristle material not being limited to: nonabsorbent and chemical resistance; just for dislodging foreign material in crevices. Once we are settled on --and have our product of choice, we will post HD images and the application as it relates to the 'Channels'.

We just can not afford those ultrasonic cleaners and chemicals. nor are they practical for us to use on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by PSmith View Post
    compressed air
    thumbs up!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links