Proper cleaning procedure and tools for the Slides' channels and internal parts. - Page 3

Proper cleaning procedure and tools for the Slides' channels and internal parts.

This is a discussion on Proper cleaning procedure and tools for the Slides' channels and internal parts. within the Glock Troubleshooting and Maintenance forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; Originally Posted by PSmith Thatís why once a year I wash the action in Dawn soap and warm water. Really slosh it around. Then rise ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Proper cleaning procedure and tools for the Slides' channels and internal parts.

Junior Member PersonalDefense_User's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PSmith View Post
    Thatís why once a year I wash the action in Dawn soap and warm water. Really slosh it around. Then rise in warm water, blow out with compressed air and use hair dryer on warm (NOT hot) setting to dry. Iíve sometimes flushed out some really strange stuff from sand grit to saw dust and old lint scales.
    Regardless of what that lint test showed ...lint in a high humidity and variable temperature environment will freeze an action. (Think lint inside action for 6-9 months, high RH and damp lint, temps from room temperature to -10 degrees. Hmmm, damp lint at zero degrees in the snow...)
    Just saying be safe wash out your action yearly...
    Quote Originally Posted by hairtrigga View Post
    thumbs up!
    Please accept our apologies for not being detailed enough in the initial post. Our initial posting was only concerned with cleaning a completely stripped (and bare) Slide, with regard/focus to its enclosed channels and the parts that reside within those channels; specifically the firing-pin (Striker), Extractor Depressor Plunger (EDP) and associated channels. Factor in we are CDL (otr), there are times when we do not have convenient access to one (1) or more proper tool(s) , or enough time, to perform maintenance on a regular interval. Hence, we may have extra, and possibly hardened (frozen or otherwise) build-up in these channels or crevices thereof. The contents of your above reply tells, us you (PSmith) knows what we're speaking of.

What we were missing from our homemade mobile kit were tube brushes. We were hoping someone within this community (thread) would have discovered or recommended a tool already being employed for the task of cleaning channels and the channel parts. In any case, we are on the right track and have found a few items of interest (tube brushes, [diameter yet to be detemined]), that we will choose from; depending on the bristle material. After all is said and done we will post the resolve with HD images. It's not really rocket science, but, given that performing maintenance on these 'channels' will void Glocks' written warranty, we would rather get it right by the second or third time we venture in to those areas.

Our Plan: On The Road (otr)
    - Gloves: protect hand from chemicals
    - Gun Scrubber
    - Piks & brushes: Tooth and tube brushes
    - cloth (lint free)
    - CLP: synthetic Lubricant of choice/availability

As PSmith has stated, the symptoms and after affects of dust + moisture, gone unchecked will make a bad situation worse. Sort of like Murphys' Law on Steroids.

I use a variety brass picks and still use them with out alot of force they can be shaped to be able to push to the bottom of blind holes and twist around to lossen any debris that is built up in there then use a good spray cleaner followed by some compressed air IE aircompressor. If it is real dirty u can put a solvent in a tube and soak it for a few hours then try cleaning it as described, repete as needed. If you have any other questions or anything you need help with jump over to our website and you can send use an e-mail or call I will do my best to help.
    tpsgunsales.com - The Pawn Shop and Gun Sales - Tipton, Iowa, we have great deales on cleaning supplies and guns.

Quote Originally Posted by tpsgunsales.com View Post
    I use a variety brass picks and still use them with out alot of force they can be shaped to be able to push to the bottom of blind holes and twist around to lossen any debris that is built up in there then use a good spray cleaner followed by some compressed air IE aircompressor. If it is real dirty u can put a solvent in a tube and soak it for a few hours then try cleaning it as described, repete as needed.
    Thanks for your response. Please look closely at the post you replied to. Notice where we stated CDL (otr)? We are on the move. Air Compressor with clean air is not a readily available option, nor is soaking; for any length of time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

Hey partner I understand your dilemma, kept my CDL (dropped Haz-Mat when I retired). I was outside (in lower 48) last month and made a run from Everett WA to Buffalo NY and back. Weather closed I-90 twice in MT and WY. Coming back I-80 closed at Laramie and we took Rte 30 by-pass (great road). Little America dinner was great...

Back on topic, I’m lucky and have compress air at home and on my rig. I really have no solution except maybe picking up a quick connect air nozzle at NAPA (couple of bucks). Then when you hit a layover with compressed air ...snap, click and blow out.
    I’ll get castrated for this next comment... In really nasty or dirty environments (like OTR) I prefer my DA revolver. The Glock19 is my back-up pistol.
    When seconds count ...police are only minutes away!
    PSmith, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor, retired
    Glock 19c gen 3, Lone Wolf Barrel, Advantage Tactical Sights, ClipDraw
    ~ FREEDOM ~ First, Last and Always...

Please check these new cleaning tools from my friend Shaun at Sentry Leather: Sentry Gunleather

This Nook & Cranny kit is only 12 bucks. Tell Shaun his Hoosier Friend sent you.

Hey partner I understand your dilemma, kept my CDL (dropped Haz-Mat when I retired). I was outside (in lower 48) last month and made a run from Everett WA to Buffalo NY and back. Weather closed I-90 twice in MT and WY. Coming back I-80 closed at Laramie and we took Rte 30 by-pass (great road). Little America dinner was great...
    Lucky you <grin>

Back on topic, Iím lucky and have compress air at home and on my rig. I really have no solution except maybe picking up a quick connect air nozzle at NAPA (couple of bucks). Then when you hit a layover with compressed air ...snap, click and blow out.
    We have thought of that, but decided against using the rigs air supply because, said air supply does not resemble anything close to clean. We have witnessed (first hand), drivers inserting anti-freeze, and other available chemicals, into the air line in an effort to unfreeze the brake system because someone, or person's unknown neglected to properly, and in a timely manner, drain the tank(s). While we do appreciate your suggestion, we will just stick with a manual tube-brush (for those 'Channels') while otr --until we return to our shop that is equipped with A/C and a desiccant dryer.

We really don't want to take the chance of contaminating the firearms' Slide Channels with whatever is in the rigs air tanks; that would really be an irritation.

Iíll get castrated for this next comment... In really nasty or dirty environments (like OTR) I prefer my DA revolver. The Glock19 is my back-up pistol.
    Um-mm, yeah. You may want to sleep with one eye open after that last statement of yours. Last I checked, Lorena Bobbitt is still an active member of the glockforum.net. <grin>
    PSmith likes this.

we are talking a three inch channel... are we going to get this deep into how to clean it ?
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    we are talking a three inch channel... are we going to get this deep into how to clean it ?
    For us the answer is yes <smile>; whether within the forum or not. I think we are beyond any "how to's" with regard to the topic.There has been a bit of engineering before this device hit the market and Glock is not forth coming with all the required information, via a phone call, or two. This is a healthy discussion, given that Glock advises against it and may void your warranty should the user decide to venture into those areas; with the exception of taking it to an Amorer. For us this is an unacceptable option (Armorer), as these areas under discussion need attention just as the other publicized preventative maintenance points. We are also reading where other people are pulling out or otherwise extracting foreign matter they never knew was in those areas; or never knew so much of it accumulated in those areas. Other than that, we are just commenting (discussing), why someone else's method or suggestion works or does not work for another; with minimal amount of spam.

We will not blindly dump or otherwise shove tools/chemicals in our devices with out some thought and or discussion.

Anyone wanting to use the following images may do so with our blessing, in an effort to help others understand their Gen4 Glock(s) and/or this thread.This next image shows areas we found foreign matter to accumulate within the Sticker/Firing-Pin channel, in addition to all the corners/crevices seen in the image. Click the image to make it larger.
    Click image for larger version.†

Name:	BBB_Annotated.png†
Views:	1647†
Size:	1.10 MB†
ID:	2838
    Last edited by PersonalDefense_User; 11-30-2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Update image

I agree, the foreign junk that can accumulate in a few short months when exposed to dirty environments is truly amazing. I’ve had Spruce and Fir needles in action more than once.

On the brighter side, folks who carry in a clean office environment and CC in their underwear, only have to worry about pubic hair...
    When seconds count ...police are only minutes away!
    PSmith, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor, retired
    Glock 19c gen 3, Lone Wolf Barrel, Advantage Tactical Sights, ClipDraw
    ~ FREEDOM ~ First, Last and Always...

If you need air to blow out the channels and don't have a compressor use canned air that we use to clean computers. Has long plastic tube you can put all the way to the back of the channel so you clean from inside to out.
    Glock Ego Fides Deo Et Patriae
    (In Glock I Trust for God and Country)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links