Proper cleaning procedure and tools for the Slides' channels and internal parts.

Proper cleaning procedure and tools for the Slides' channels and internal parts.

This is a discussion on Proper cleaning procedure and tools for the Slides' channels and internal parts. within the Glock Troubleshooting and Maintenance forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; GEN-4 Glocks, proper cleaning of the slide channels and internal parts ... What is the recommended tool and chemical to use for proper cleaning of ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Proper cleaning procedure and tools for the Slides' channels and internal parts.

Junior Member PersonalDefense_User's Avatar

GEN-4 Glocks, proper cleaning of the slide channels and internal parts ...

What is the recommended tool and chemical to use for proper cleaning of the striker and other channels of a completely stripped slide, as well as its internal components; both metal and plastic?

This is not as easy as it looks (for us), given the following:
    • Low light and visibility within the channel(s)
    • Any device that could fit, from the rear, would only push existing debris further in (Striker Channel).
    o Items/devices such as pipe cleaners and Q-tips may leave unseen fibers. Said fibers could attract other debris and moisture; if fibers are not noticed and removed.
    • Wildly/blindly spraying an aerosol cleaner in to these channels is no guarantee that every nook/cranny has been cleaned.

Our first thought was to saturate the channels with an aerosol type cleaner, but then, what tool can we use to ensure we have cleaned all nooks and cranny’s before the chemical dries; let’s not forget a tool that would not leave behind unwanted fibers?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide_Channels.png 
Views:	381 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	2840Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parts_List_PT-1.png 
Views:	586 
Size:	462.7 KB 
ID:	2841Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBB_Annotated.png 
Views:	2386 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	2839
    Last edited by PersonalDefense_User; 11-30-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Images added

I am a big fan of cotton underwear and Q-tips and light machine oils and ever so often a dental piks but rare
    KeeperOath likes this.
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

and pocket lint is not a real issue

the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I am a big fan of cotton underwear and Q-tips and light machine oils and ever so often a dental piks but rare

and pocket lint is not a real issue
    We have been reading about metal/brass shavings, coupled with lint and any other foreign material that would attract and hold moisture. In effect these ingredients would soon get hard within a corner or crevice of the slides' channels. Should this occur, just spraying would not completely dislodge said cocktail.

As far as using a pik is concerned, not sure there is a pik that can reach (from the Slides rear) all the way to the channel side of the breach face; if our term was correct. Additionally, if there was a pik that would get that far, using a metal pik may scratch whatever finish/treatment is applied (remember, Glock advises against using lubricants in the Striker channel). Said lubricants, if allowed, may afford the scratched area some protection against future rust/corrosion, on the flip side of that coin, a plastic pik may not be sturdy enough.

I trust you won't suggest that we are over thinking this. Your thoughts ...

We have been reading about metal/brass shavings, coupled with lint and any other foreign material that would attract and hold moisture
    so are you storing I outside? if not I wouldn't sweat it

and yes I think you are over thinking it. I take a 30-30 deer hunting in the rain and snow and when I get back to camp I clean it and get the moisture out and give it a coat of oil and good to go for some 30 years now and still looks good

I was raised in jersey and my dad owned a gas station. he used to get motors and they would sit out side for months in the snow and ice. he would clean them up with a air hose and a wire brush. install them and they would run for years without a problem.

point being you can overthink something, a little oil and some love and the simplest of things will last for years with the simplest of care
    PSmith likes this.

A toothbrush dipped in Hoppe's, followed up with a hosing of Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber (or something like it), pretty much takes care of the slide rails and any other parts. Hoppe's Gun Oil where required, and Remington Grease placed on the rails and I'm done.
    PSmith and barstoolguru like this.

I also use a toothbrush for cleaning firearms and have for 40+ years. Works good...
    barstoolguru likes this.
    When seconds count ...police are only minutes away!
    PSmith, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor, retired
    Glock 19c gen 3, Lone Wolf Barrel, Advantage Tactical Sights, ClipDraw
    ~ FREEDOM ~ First, Last and Always...

As far as using a pik is concerned, not sure there is a pik that can reach (from the Slides rear) all the way to the channel side of the breach face; if our term was correct. Additionally, if there was a pik that would get that far, using a metal pik may scratch whatever finish/treatment is applied

I have been using these for years and I am not saying lean on them when cleaning but these piks will get into places that other items can't PLUS they are good for retrieving parts that get away Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_13802.jpg 
Views:	557 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	2796

6 Piece Pick Set

It appears we are not being fully understood. Within this post our concern are the 'Channel(s)'; as in the following:

Striker 'Channel'
    Extractor Depressor Plunger 'Channel'

Sorry we don't have a clearer images:

Name:	Parts_List_PT-1.png 
Views:	4885 
Size:	462.7 KB 
ID:	2797

Name:	Slide_Channels.png 
Views:	537 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	2799
    Last edited by PersonalDefense_User; 11-25-2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Added another Image (bottom)

if you really want them clean Glocks are dishwasher safe (top rack only)
    PSmith and Fubar like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links