G30 issue

G30 issue

This is a discussion on G30 issue within the Glock Troubleshooting and Maintenance forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; Hello folks, Ever since I purchased my G30SF (Gen 3), it’s had this issue: it shoots about 2-3” high at 7yds, 5-6" high at 15yds, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G30 issue

G30 issue

Hello folks,

Ever since I purchased my G30SF (Gen 3), it’s had this issue: it shoots about 2-3” high at 7yds, 5-6" high at 15yds, and worse as you step back to 25yds and beyond. It shoots high the same amount with both the factory barrel and a Lone Wolf barrel. I’m lining the sights up exactly as I have my other Glocks: The top of the front sight aligned with the top of rear sight, placing the frost sight dot squarely in the middle of the white “U” rear sight.

I’ve used different rear sights before, especially when switching to a flatter-shooting .357Sig barrel in my G23. I’m prepared to do the same with this G30, save one problem: the slide does not appear to go fully into battery after reassembly. Pictures show it better than I can describe (below). When I assemble it, I seat the guiderod fully down into the half-moon shaped cut-out in the bottom of the barrel. When I disassemble the pistol, the guiderod has slipped out to the position shown below. The guiderod also shows some signs of scratching and slight bending on the flat face. I worry that the guiderod is slipping out of the proper position during reassembly, keeping the slide slightly out of battery, tilting the barrel slightly up, and causing the high shot pattern.

Notes on the pictures: The rear of the slide does not seem to be fully forward into battery. The front of the slide also seems to be showing too much barrel and guiderod. I’ve looked at pictures of other G30s online, and I can’t tell if mine is identical or not. Meaning…I can’t tell if I’m just paranoid about this issue and imagining it’s out of battery, or if the guiderod is really having an effect on the slide. On my G23, the slide is more flush with the back of the frame. Does it look normal?

I’ve tried reassembling the gun as slowly and carefully as possible; rotating the guiderod to different orientations to see if one works; but something pulls the guiderod down each time. Whenever I disassemble my G23, the guiderod is still firmly seated in the half-moon cutout.

The gun still cycles and fires just fine, but I worry that the gun is battering the guiderod and not functioning as intended.

I’ve contacted Glock to see what they say, but I’d appreciate any input you may have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G30 issue-img_4421.jpg   G30 issue-img_4423.jpg   G30 issue-img_4424.jpg   G30 issue-img_4426.jpg   G30 issue-img_4427.jpg  

Last edited by AwShoot1209; 03-23-2014 at 09:13 PM. Reason: I spell goodly

One of the pictures didn't attach:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G30 issue-img_4428.jpg  

Convert it to a 460 Rowland and let us know what happens...
    I refuse to be a LOW INFORMATION GUN OWNER.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

It's kind of hard to tell from the pics but it looks like its in battery from the pics. Can you push the slide forward manually to take up the slack or is it firm in its position? Sometimes those recoil springs look a little bit crooked and with most all Glocks the recoil spring is not seated in the half moon position after taking the gun down. It moves out of that position during firing. What did Glock have to say ?
    “A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare.”
    Proverbs‬ 15:1‬

Looks to me like the Gun is slightly out of battery and that would explain why the barrel is slightly angled up. If I was smarter I'd tell you exactly why that is but I can't say for sure. I wouldn't shoot it anymore till the problem is corrected.
    If you have to tell everyone how _______ you are, your probably not that _______

Jordanjf86: The slide won't budge past the point shown. Thanks for the comment on the half-moon position; I haven't shot/disassembled the G23 in a while, but I thought I remembered it staying in the half-moon position. If the recoil spring assembly moving a little down is normal, that's excellent to hear.

OHshooter: I'm waiting til I hear back from Glock before I fire it again. If they send me useful info I'll update this post.

Mechanikos: Tried it, lost a good shooting hand, but the good Lord granted me with a spare

Thanks for your inputs!

AwShoot,
    Keep us updated on this, I bought a new G30 Gen3 last week, I have not had a chance to shoot it yet. I cleaned it and it looks like I'm having the same problem as you. I'm at work right now but seems to me the manf date was Apr or May of 2013. Thanks,
    "That ain't bad shootin for a one eyed fat man"

Glock 19
    Glock 21
    Glock 23
    Glock 22
    Glock 27
    Glock 30

Had a problem with a Gen4 Glock 26, which has the same type of recoil spring. It wouldn't close the slide completely, but while talking to Glock about the recoil spring recall of the G17 I mentioned what the 26 was doing and they included a spring for it that corrected the problem. I don't have a problem with either one of my G30's.

Update: I haven't received any word from Glock, although when I submitted my message they had an auto-reply stating they were backlogged and it may take a while. If I hear back, I'll post it.

I researched the potential 'slide out of battery' online and found that every picture of a G30 was identical to mine. It just seems to hang rearward off the frame a little more than the 9mm/.40 pistols. The barrel and guiderod stick out the front a little more than 9mm/.40 frames as well. Upon looking closer at the guiderod and comparing it to online photos, the marks that I thought were the result of firing the pistol appear to be factory tool marks (or every G30 I saw has the same dents from firing). There are no abnormal marks underneath the barrel or inside the frame where the guiderod rests, suggesting the guiderod is locking up and functioning exactly as intended.

That leaves the problem of shooting very high: The stock G30 rear sight is the 6.9mm, the same as on a stock G21. With any degree of height difference between the front and rear sight, a shorter sight radius will produce a barrel tilt upwards. My guess is that when Glock tested the G21, the 6.9mm rear sight was dead on. Taking that same sight and placing it on the G30 will shift the bullet path upwards (assuming the bore is aligned to the slide at exactly the same angle as a G21...but I'm not busting out a protractor). I ordered a 6.5mm and 6.1mm rear sight and tested them out: the 6.1mm is perfectly level with 230gr reloads and Hornady Critical Duty 220gr +P. It is still shooting slightly high (+1" at 7yds; +3" at 20yds) with PMC bronze 230gr FMJs. I shoot mostly reloads and carry Critical Duty, so if it's sighted in for those I'm happy. I'm confused as to why the PMC shot high; my reloads have a very similar muzzle velocity to the PMC, so they're sitting in the barrel just as long. The +P loads are noticeably stouter, sit in the barrel a shorter length of time, and should shoot lower than my reloads. I don't have a good answer for why the +P and reloads have the same POI, but I won't complain since it works for me.

So...the cheap solution is a lowered rear sight. They're $5ish from online shops. Thanks to everyone for your help!

I'm not sure if posting links to items for sale is kosher, but here you go:

6.5mm: Glock Sight Polymer Rear 6.5/+0 | Rockyourglock Store</
    6.1mm: Glock Sight Polymer Rear 6.1/-1 | Rockyourglock Store</

That website had the sights in the mail the same day, and arrived just a couple days later. Shipping was about $5. Excellent service.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links