Replacing front night sight on a gen 2

This is a discussion on Replacing front night sight on a gen 2 within the Glock Troubleshooting and Maintenance forums, part of the Glock General Discussion category; I am looking to replace the factory night sights on my duty model 22 that have gone dim. The picture shows an unusual screw configuration ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glock.jpg 
Views:	1754 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	3641

I am looking to replace the factory night sights on my duty model 22 that have gone dim.

The picture shows an unusual screw configuration other than a hex head.

Anyone seen these before from a Gen 2 ? And what tool would be used to remove it ... needlenose ?

have you tried a socket? I doubt needle nose will work. do you have a dermal? if so cut a slot into the screw and use a screw driver
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

something else you can do is take a punch and tap on side in a counter clockwise direction and break it free, then use needle nose pliers
    the difference between wisdom and intellect, wisdom foresees the dangers in life, and intellect studies the aftermath

4. Remove Advertisements
    GlockForum.net
    Advertisements

If you just grab the sight with a pair of pliers and twist it should come off
    If you have to tell everyone how _______ you are, your probably not that _______

Do not grab the sight and twist it off. Even though the slide surface is very hard, you could damage the sight hole in the slide by twisting off the steel sight. I suggest you carefully center punch the center of the screw head. Use a 3/32 drill bit and slowly drill into the screw head just until you get a very small countersunk hole. Use a center punch to tap in the countersunk hole to carefully break the sight free from the head of the bolt. You may need to take baby steps alternating between drilling and punching to break off the head. If done carefully, your slide will be left unmarked. If you use needle nose pliers, I am sure you will scratch the inside of the slide. Remember, haste makes waste! I am sure you would be pissed off at yourself for scratching or damaging the slide.

Note: The screw is probably hardened steel or stainless so use a Cobalt bit if you have one and don't forget to use oil when drilling.
    Last edited by downeyg; 03-25-2014 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OHshooter View Post
    If you just grab the sight with a pair of pliers and twist it should come off
    NO, night sights are steel and will damage the slide. the sight sits in an oblong hole to keep the sight on strait

I think, as much as I'd like to be all macho and stuff...I'd take it to my dealer/gunsmith, and have him do it, and pay for it. AS I'm thinkin about doin.
    Just haven't figured out what front night sight yet though.

A "Socket"? Probably so, BUT...a Special GLOCK Socket...Made for that job. And...Of course, It ain't cheap.
    Do a search for the "Tool". Then ask your local gunsmith...what he'll charge to change the sight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    "The beauty of the second amendment is, it will not be needed until they try to take it".

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Daily to give free food to animals in shelters and rescue's.

Quote Originally Posted by downeyg View Post
    Do not grab the sight and twist it off. Even though the slide surface is very hard, you could damage the sight hole in the slide by twisting off the steel sight. I suggest you carefully center punch the center of the screw head. Use a 3/32 drill bit and slowly drill into the screw head just until you get a very small countersunk hole. Use a center punch to tap in the countersunk hole to carefully break the sight free from the head of the bolt. You may need to take baby steps alternating between drilling and punching to break off the head. If done carefully, your slide will be left unmarked. If you use needle nose pliers, I am sure you will scratch the inside of the slide. Remember, haste makes waste! I am sure you would be pissed off at yourself for scratching or damaging the slide.

Note: The screw is probably hardened steel or stainless so use a Cobalt bit if you have one and don't forget to use oil when drilling.
    Also...drill at a slow-speed...so you don't heat up the drill bit and break it off! The hole in the slide is an oblong hole that keeps the front sight straight at all times. It's a great design to help maintain front sight alignment!
    Stupid SHOULD Hurt!!!

~ Amishman44

I was told last night that the screw shown was what Glock used early on for the Gen 2 pistols and there was a special socket for them.
    I'll just have to wing it now.

Sponsored Links